1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

First Custom Fixed Blade - Fiddleback Nessmuk

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Tom Watson, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Tom Watson

Tom Watson Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2017
    I have been on a bit of a fixed blade shopping spree in the last week as I'm preparing for a good year for the backcountry. About 5 years ago I had the chance to visit Andy when he was still making knives from his basement (I live about 10 minutes from him). After purchasing a couple of Bark River Knives I wanted my first custom fixed blade to be a Fiddleback. His generosity in showing me around his business and answering some questions made a big impact. I purchased a couple of his knives this week and wanted to show one of them off today. I'm taking this one on the Appalachian Trail tomorrow...should be able to get some more good pics.

The lines on this Nessmuk are just so sexy and the colors on that handle. Great job Andy!

[​IMG]Fiddleback Nessmuk by Tom Watson, on Flickr

2. FeralGentleman

FeralGentleman Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Very nice Tom. The Nessmuk in several of its varieties is one of my favorite models. That is a nice example that you have.

3. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    I would think it would be a great companion on the AT.

4. Tom Watson

Mar 16, 2017
    Thanks! I'm pairing it with the Bark River Bushcrafter. Not that I need both but what the heck!?

Thanks! I really like how this feels in the hand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    the Nessmuk is an awesome pattern

congrats & good luck

we expect pics when you can:thumbup:

6. Scotcha

Scotcha Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Congratulations!! Andy's Nessmuk design is the sexiest I've seen and yours is a prime example.

7. varga49

varga49 Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 1, 2016
    Tom, Not only is the Nessmuk one of my favorites, and not only is yours a exceptionally fine example, I have to add to what everyone else has said,..That's an absolutely "great capture" as they say...!

8. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Awesome! Every time I write off the Nessmuck someone comes along and posts one that makes me rethink things.

9. Tom Watson

Mar 16, 2017
    Appreciate that!

I think you should :) That big belly of a cutting surface seems very useful to me.

I think Andy pulls this design off better than most.

10. ncrockclimb

ncrockclimb Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2014
    That is a stellar choice for your first Fiddleback!

Besides being a visually dynamic and attractive design, Andy's Nessmuk interpretation is a super workhorse that does almost everything really well. Lots of other Fiddleback models get discussed with more frequency, but imho there is not another Fiddleback design that is as versatile. Oh yeah; that Tsunami Burlap is just way too cool!

Congrats on getting such a winner for your first Fiddleback. I am very sure you will be happy with your choice.

Now, quit being secretive and post some pics of the other Fiddlebacks you purchased.

11. Tom Watson

Mar 16, 2017
    I will! Just didn't have time to set it up properly for a picture. Will have to wait until next week. For now, just excited to take the and my BRKT Bushcrafter on the trail.

12. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    little more excitement on the Fiddleback

hahaha

13. Tom Watson

Mar 16, 2017
    Maybe so! Although until this week the nicest fixed blade I've owned is the Fallkniven F1 so this is all a big step up for me.

14. ncrockclimb

ncrockclimb Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2014
    I don't want to be a jerk to Fallkniven or to you. My first nice fixed blade was a Fallkniven. It worked well and I liked it.

That being said... The step up you just took is not "big," it is absolutely HUGE! :D

I hope you have a fun and safe time on the Appalachian Trail tomorrow!!

15. adequacy

adequacy Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Great looking knife. I like the nessmuk patten as well!

16. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    I took the same route as you. I can understand.
    At one time i hàd about 20 Bark Rivers.
    Ih5ave 2 now.

17. Tom Watson

Mar 16, 2017
  18. heat_treat

heat_treat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2015
    The Nessmuk is one pattern I go back and forth on. I want one, then I don't, then I do, etc.. Your pictures have me wanting one again. ;)

Very nice.

19. Tom Watson

Mar 16, 2017
    I would say it is good for its intended purpose as stated by Andy. It is a good companion knife paired with other tools. He mentions the design originally matched up with an axe and pocket knife. I could see it working itself out really well in that scenario. Over the weekend it was working really well with my food prep, doing some digging on the back side of the blade, and some other general chores around the camp. The carving was ok but the belly kept wanting to slice instead of cut deep (if that makes sense?). This might just be me getting used to it but I'm not sure yet. It was very comfortable to work with.

20. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    This describes my feeling towards the Nessmuck as well.