First Designs and first metal from the forge.

Here' the first couple rough drawings of what I want to make, the Upper right is what I will be starting with. The lower left is what I would like to work towards eventually. Please feel free to offer up any suggestions or thoughts you may have. I know nearly nothing about making knives and I am willing to listen to suggestions. I'm Learning alot from the wealth of information on this forum already. My wife is already giving me the stink eye about the time spent reading on the forum.

img_20170227_134740.jpg

Thanks for looking!

The upper knife should be a good start. Make the grind a FFG - full flat grid. That lip along the spine would be hard to do.

The upper knife should be a good start. Make the grind a FFG - full flat grid. That lip along the spine would be hard to do.
I agree with Stacy. I'm a beginner and I had the lip along the spine with my first knife. It wasn't as clean as I was hoping for and just ended up causing some unnecessary frustration. My next several knives were full flat grind and I made huge improvements with my grinding in each knife. Now that I feel more confident grinding, I've done a couple knives with that lip that I'm happy with (I wouldn't say perfect though). But it took several knives to get there.

Thank you for the input, I will for sure go for the FFG on the first one. Hoping to get moving on it in the next week or so.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Back