First Fiddleback...mmm hmmm

I've been eyeballing Fiddleback bushcrafters since I met Andy at the Blade Show this year. I'm proud to say that I've joined the club. Andy's work is fantastic and I can't wait to get out there and use this bad boy some. I'll post some pics once I've gotten out and about. These scales are freakin magical!

Thanks for working with me this weekend Andy. Friday was a booger bear with the truck and all. I'll call you when I've got a chance to get up your way again.

John

I guess I'll have to chime in too as proud owner of a new Hunter as of yesterday. It is sweet.

Sami

So far, I really like the direction this thread seems to be heading. LOL. VERY glad your knives got to both of you safely. I was a little worried about yours Sami.

John, you gotta take a day and come up here. I'll tour you around the shop.

So far, I really like the direction this thread seems to be heading. LOL. VERY glad your knives got to both of you safely. I was a little worried about yours Sami.

John, you gotta take a day and come up here. I'll tour you around the shop.

I'm looking forward to it!

My office thinks I'm nuts. This morning, I was showing the blade to everyone who would look . Lots of great compliments.

John, glad you got a Sqibblecrack. You need to come over to our side of town and hang out.

For the time being here are some pics.

kismet2103_0929-vi.jpg

pis103_0953-vi.jpg

Just finished a Woodsman with some of that maple from the Bushcrafter. Man. Derrick at KSF is getting some nice stuff!

John, glad you got a Sqibblecrack. You need to come over to our side of town and hang out.

I tried to get your no balance havin butt to go kayak fishing with me....

check your PMs.

Last edited:
OK,

I didn't get out very far, but I'll try and fake it. I'm going out later today and will try and get some better shots. I forgot to turn the date/time stamp off, my apologies.

The prey.
IMG_0947.jpg

Just kidding, he was hiding under the log I used as my smasher.

The Trap.
IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

Some of you Grizzly Adams guys might notice, I got the notches a little to secure on the trip arm. I think a squirrel could have run down it without setting it off. LOL

Anyway, he got away, so here are some knife pics. :D

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

I really enjoyed using the bushcrafter on this trap. I've worked on the edge a little and it cuts like crazy. Forming the notches and trimming the limbs to length was quick and easy. The handle really fits my hand well and is super comfortable to work with. I really only have one other knife that I can use as a comparison model.

The Aurora has been my bushcraft knife for about a year now and I've been very happy with it. The main differences in the two knives are obviously the length, shape, and thickness. Which, if you think about it, makes the knives not really comparable at all, but since they are the only ones I have, I'll have to do my best. This may be a contrasting review more than anything.

If you'll notice, the Aurora is much thicker along the spine due to the saber grind. The FB is a full flat grind, and is a good slicer. The Aurora will slice, but I usually get that little secondary slice of potato or other veggie due to the thick spine forcing the opening wider at the top and causing a rotation or angular difference in the cut from top to bottom. Does that make sense? So far the FB doesn't do this. The long, or shall I say tall, full flat grind is thinner and spreads the outward pressure on the object over a greater area. It's like cuttin buttah!

When using the Aurora to cut my notches, I can get into tight spaces really easy because of the pronounced point at the tip. I had no problem making similar cuts and notches with the FB, but I had to use different angles and cuts to do it. The Aurora would definitely excel at creating really small drill holes in leather or other materials, where the FB might have to settle for a larger bore. I doubt this would be an issue in the field unless it involved sewing or surgery.:eek:

Lastly, the length of the FB's blade is great. I've always been a fan of compact blades when working with smaller materials. Both of these blades work well, but so far I'd have to say that the FB is more fun to work with. It might be because it's new and I'm just giddy about it, we'll see I suppose. I know that I like the length and shape of the handle on the FB. Like I said, it's super comfortable to work with. The Aurora has a downturn at the butt end which provides for a good grip when extracting it from the sheath. The FB is slightly harder to pull out right now, due to the tightness of the sheath, but I'm sure that'll work itself out quick enough. I'm thinking about putting a loop of paracord on the FB just to see how that works out.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this thing so far. I'll update this as I put it through the paces.

Awesome!!! Love the pics, and review. Be aware that the blade is full height convex ground. (Thats when you know you got them right, when someone mistakes them for flat!)

Awesome!!! Love the pics, and review. Be aware that the blade is full height convex ground. (Thats when you know you got them right, when someone mistakes them for flat!)

You makers are so picky about your terminology! Geeze!:D

I knew it was convex, I ment flat from the spine to just before the edge. I'll figure out the terms one day. :foot:

Ever since I got my first convex blade,
I've redone all my users in convex.

Here are some shots from my hike today.

The Fuzz and I took a walk up on Brushy Mountain. We stopped for a cup of coffee and tried out the new FB on some brush and a spit.
IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

I read T's post about the upside down fire, so I had to try it. It works...I had fire. It lasted plenty long enough for sure.
I'll have to try it out with some bigger stuff the next time I'm out overnight.

IMG_0960.jpg

My wire hanger broke, so I made do with some safety pins and paracord.
IMG_0961.jpg

We got a boil going and had some coffee. Life is good.

So YOU'RE the one that ended up with that one. That is easily one of my favorites that Andy has done. He was dangling that knife in front of me at his house. I drooled over that one quite a bit. That wood is in-f#cking-credible. You should see some of the other dyed stuff he's done in person. The pictures don't EVEN do it justice.

OK,

The Trap.
IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

Some of you Grizzly Adams guys might notice, I got the notches a little to secure on the trip arm. I think a squirrel could have run down it without setting it off. LOL

I see that alot on figure 4 pics. I never say anything cause I don't want to come off as a jerk. When I first started making them I use to do the same thing. With practice you'll be able to make it hair. The figure 4 is still my favorite deadfall trap!

Great pics and congrats on an awesome knife:thumbup:

Somehow I missed the layered liners when Andy first posted pics of this one. That is an awesome piece of handle:thumbup:

full height convex grind means that if you layed a flat object (like a glass rod) on the grind, it would not lay flat.

That grind is a continuous curve from spine all the way down to the edge (or full height convex to zero edge as Fiddleback was trying to explain), not a flat grind bevel to a convex edge (where you have a flat angle from the spine to where the secondary bevel, be that v grind or convex edge begins).

FB handles are some of the prettiest in the business according to my eyes!

Love them, and am jealous that you have one and I don't!

beautiful knife. andy, you always amaze me.

Thanks bro! I like having you post down here!!!

Somehow I missed the layered liners when Andy first posted pics of this one. That is an awesome piece of handle:thumbup:

I glued up a bunch of that layered stuff. Red blue red, with the blue skinnier!

Wow! THat thing's the David Lee Roth of Fiddlebacks!

WM, you're a branding genious!!!

FB handles are some of the prettiest in the business according to my eyes!

Love them, and am jealous that you have one and I don't!

Thank you Sir. We've been posting together a long time now, and its always nice to hear a user has been admiring my work! BTW, I can fix your sans-Fiddleback situation, when you're ready!

I went for short walk in the nearby woods today with my Hunter. I'll post later on more pictures in WSS but here's a couple of teasers.

The Fiddleback
Fiddleback_hunter.jpg

And the Hunter with my old Iisakki Järvenpää Leuku
Hunter_Leuku.jpg

Back