1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

First Fiddleback

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Kutch, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Street Samurai Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 21, 2012
    Every Friday there is a sale here by the forge!

2. jaz322

jaz322 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    3 reasons (in no particular order) the Runt is my only edc:

1. Size: Fits inside front or back pocket. Heespharm pic nicely illustrates the difference in lengths. Heeso - I miss that blue mango runt - you did a great job cleaning that up.

2. Function: Accomplishes 95% of my small knife utility tasks.

3. Profile & Shape: Feels right for my hand. Smooth top contours to palm, belly on bottom fits 3 fingers. I'll bet I spend more time holding/showing off a runt than using one because the profile and contoured scales feel so good. Esquire also has more contouring than the other small knives; however, the butt of the handle on the esquire ramps up at the top and pokes into my hand, emphasizing the handle shortness.

If you like a lanyard, paracord with a bead to give the pinkie something to rest on/grip and helps keep everything in place in the pocket. I'm spoiled by the custom lanyard built into my production runt - it comes straight out the back and doesn't take away from the scale shaping. I've also found that a wider, flat sheath is more stable inside the pocket if you don't want a clip showing.

Well you're getting some opinions! Time to try different models and see which one works best for you!

Here is a custom runt (top) and a modified production version (bottom):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    I should have never let go of that green mango.

4. Heespharm

Heespharm

Nov 8, 2011
    Fiddleback doesn't make knives to order

So every Friday custom knives are sold ... check the stickies on how to buy (shark is what we call buying because once they post it's a feeding frenzy) these are usually a2 steel and have fancy scales with liners and pin stripes sometimes they are tapered tang or skeletonized

Now there is a production line of knives mostly in s35vn they all have natural or black micarta scales that are removable and can be bought at anytime from any of the vendors

Lastly there are "custom shop" production runts that are the production knives with fancy scales and liners and pinstripes which show up on the "fiddleback Friday's" on occasion ... you can tell they are custom shop production knives because they have two 1/4" micarta pins instead and no bullseye lanyard tube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Street Samurai Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 21, 2012
    Some dealers have runts as we speak. DLT and outpost to name a couple.

6. Kalsu

Kalsu Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2010
  7. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    For small blades he Runt or better yet Esquire. For something a little bigger but a world more useful, the hiking buddy, Bushboot would be a good choice. I would also say the Lone Star but they're a rare bird.

I have a Runt and Esquire in the fle market and both come with sheaths.

8. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    The Runt is nice, but I prefer the Esquire

[​IMG]

9. Kutch

Kutch

Dec 26, 2014
    Well my plan is to wait till Friday to see what pops up on the auction here, if there isn't any runts, or any that interest me I will order from one of the vendors. I just tore my knee up in a motorcycle accident the other day so I have time to search now unfortunately. I also have a condor mini bushlore on order. It seemed to be a decent little beater for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk