First Folder in Progress (Titanium Frame Friction folder) FINISHED!

BenR.T.

Tanto grinder & High performance blade peddler
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
So I am actually most of the way done with this now, but I though I would share a few pics in different stages. This is the first real folder I have attempted, so there has been a huge learning curve.
The frame parts are all 6al4v Titanium, and the backspacer is copper.
It is really just a simple Friction folder, but with a twist. I had the idea to use a large detent ball to hold the blade in the open position, I have never seen anything like that, but I am sure it is not totally a unique idea. It actually works quite well, kinda similar to a slip joint.
The blade is 1095 and will be finished with a nice hamon. I will post up finished pics hopefully later this week. Anyway here are a few progress pics. And feel free to let me know what you think.

264.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_2666.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

IMG_2665.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2668.jpg

Ben,
Very cool looking knife and great idea on the detent retainer! Of course I love the back spacer too...;)

Eric

Ben,
Very cool looking knife and great idea on the detent retainer!

Eric

exactly what I was thinking. Brilliant.
Ben, I think you've found your niche with this. Time will tell, of course, but you obviously have a crafty and creative mind for mechanisms it seems.
I prefer this knife to everything else I've seen come out of your shop. Seriously, good work!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks very much for the kind words guys!!
And Thanks Lorien, I do have plans to do more of these. I love the mechanical aspect of friction folders, and all of the cool textures that can be achieved with different metals.
I will post up some finished pics as soon as I get a chance to Heat treat the blade.

I really like it Ben!

Way to think up something different and see it through. Good stuff my friend.:thumbup:

Love the design! I may be your first customer! Nice anodizing work!! Let me know when shes done!! :)

This is awesome, Ben. I love your detent idea. And the copper combined with the heat colored Ti is exceptionally beautiful.

Thanks again guys!

I must say that is pretty unique and will likely appeal to many people. I'm diggin' it!!!

Thanks guys, I hope to wrap this one up today!

So I was able to get it all finished up this morning. It is not perfect, but I learned a lot and will definitely be making more of them.
The OAL open is 6 1/8", with a 2.5" cutting edge
Let me know what you guys think.

[video=youtube;3UXRuO8SOes]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UXRuO8SOes[/video]

IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2673.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

IMG_2678.jpg

IMG_2680.jpg

the clip is ergonomic. Ti scale's anodizing and backspacer are all amazing.vivid hamon.:)
I prefer scale both sides.

Back