Review First Impression: Benchmade Bugout

Smaug

Gold Member
I just got a Bugout today. Carried it only a few hours, flicked it a good many times. I had been reading and watching reviews on it for years, not confident that it was for me.

I finally decided to buy one from a seller here on the Knife Exchange.

For reference, I have a special edition Griptilian with the G10 scales a Mini Grip and I have had a 940 Osborne. I was hoping it'd be a good EDC knife. One reviewer said it should have been called the EDC instead of the Bugout. I tend to agree. It is very light and thin. I wouldn't want it for doing a lot of heavy tasks; it doesn't fill the hand enough to spread the load evenly. The Griptilian would be a better better bet for this type of hard duty.

HOWEVER...

I'm more of a suburban EDC type of guy than a guy who goes out to the woods looking for ways to abuse my folder.

The blade flips out easily and quickly from any of three different deployment methods. It has that nice Benchmade Axis Lock action. (I got it used, so the previous owner broke it in for me) The blade shape is pleasing to me. It's narrow in the pocket as well as thin. It comes out easily. I can see this being the perfect EDC knife with a small SAK in the pocket.

Value: I'm not sure it's worth $162; the going rate. I think Benchmade has over-extended and is going to find themselves losing sales to Kershaw and others who have now copied the Axis Lock, but without any cost savings in other areas. In short, it's about 50% too expensive for what it is. The only bright side to buying the Benchmade instead of a copycat is the aftermarket support, and that has nothing to do with BM.

Back