First impressions of the updated Gerber Dime

The Gerber Dime I've owned for a bit over three years was getting rather worn, so I ordered a new one.

The new one has a slightly different model number, and has been noticeably improved.

The old one has very stiff springs on the drivers, too the point they were painful to open. The tools on the new one are all peasant to open and close.

The main visible change is that the scissor spring looks a bit different. The old one has one point in its travel which feels slightly sticky or discontinuous. The new scissor is perfectly smooth feeling through the lever's entire range of motion.

It doesn't feel any less solid than the old one, and I carried it daily for three years. I can recommend the new one with few reservations. It doesn't feel quite as precise or solid as, say, a Leatherman Squirt. However, for my purposes, the Dime is perfect within its price category.

If your EDC needs are covered by the Dime's tools, and you want an inexpensive tool you don't mind risking a bit or lending from time to time, it's wonderful.

Any pics? I wouldn't mind seeing how it looks on a keychain.

I can't post images right now, but for reference, the model number of the old one I used is 30-000469 and the model of the new one I have is 31-001040 if you want to search for stock photos.

Thanks, I looked it up on youtube. I'm actually considering it.

Back