First Knife as a Child

O.K. Do you recall how old you were when you got that first knife?

What was it?

What were the rules your parents set?

Me -

Camillus Cub Scout knife (I just found it again
redface.gif
) or a little green 3 blade folder, I'm not really sure.

Must have been around 7 or 8.

I could only take the pocket knife to school on Den Meeting Days, but it was proudly hanging from that little blue web belt.

-j-
A proud former member of Pack 57.....

It was a swiss army Huntsman I bought it when I was 9. I dont recall any rules insept for dont carry it to school, be very careful and don't cut anyone.

I must have been around 9 or 10. It was a small fixed blade, carbon steel, with some kind of celluloid handle. My older brother bought it from the Alamo in San Antonio. When he left home I inherited it along with his room
wink.gif
. I guess it was supposed to be a souvenier "Bowie" - NOT! But I carried it everywhere. Cut my thumb REAL good with it. I learned to respect knives that way. Experience is the best teacher. I didn't have any rules that I can remember.

------------------
WARNING: Use of this product may be hazardous to your health. It has been determined to cause cause cancer in laboratory animals!

My first knife was a hand-me-down from my dad...a rusty, worn-out old Camillus camping-type pocketknife with wooden handle scales. The blades were sharpened to almost nothing, and could hardly be opened. But I was proud of that thing and I still have it. It's probably about 50 years old.
Jim

My first knife was given to me by my GrandFather way back in 67 when I was 9. It was a beautiful mop, I'm not sure if it was real mop or fake, three blade Eye Brand stockman. Unfortunately there were no rules, if I cut myself, tough, learn from it.Trouble is, I didn't know a pocket knife wasn't made to be used as a chisel and I beat it to pieces trying to make a bird house. We could have all the knives we wanted, but absolutely no saws were allowed. Sure wish my folks had taken it from me till I was old enough to appreciate it! take care! Michael

------------------
"Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!"

I don't exactly remember my first knife. I was probably around 5 or 6 or maybe even younger. I remember losing a couple of them. They were usually either Case or Barlow knives. My dad bought them at the local grain elevator.

I had a bad habit of putting them in my back pocket. I would usually lose them crawling around in hayforts we used to build in the barn. Wish I had them now.
frown.gif

There were no rules. Growing up on a farm where we butchered animals, you start handling big butcher knives at a pretty young age. And you always had to have a pocket knife to cut some baling twine or open a sack of feed. Knives were common, ordinary, everyday tools. Nothing special. The only time I remember cutting myself with a knife when I was young was with a sickle. Drove the point into my calf when I was chopping weeds out of a soybean field. I can still see the scar. It's pretty good size.
smile.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

Cogita tute

Victorinox Swiss Army at nine. No rules, but I figured some things out after cutting myself bad a few times. Still have it 25 years later andstill carry it on occasion.

------------------
-Tim-

i got in trouble for having a pocket knife when i was a kid. not the way you'd think, tho' -- didn't pull it on anyone in the playground, wasn't that kind of kid.

i found the knife around the house. it was an old one of my dad's, and i still have it somewhere. it's a cheapie, nothing special, not even sure of the make (now i have to go and try to dig it out...). brown plastic handle, and probably not too sharp. i remember surreptitiously stealing some of mom's steel wool from her kitchen to clean up the rust on the blade, and trying to polish it up as much as i could. i even tried to figure out how to sharpen it (no luck there tho').

i was so proud of that knife. i carried it everywhere i went. it made me feel so responsible, so grownup, so PREPARED for any adventure i might find.

then mom found out i had it. she was completely appalled and took it away from me every time she caught me with it.

however, she was not appalled for the reason you might think.

my mom took it away from me because she said girls should not carry pocketknives--it was "unladylike".

yep, my secret's out now. i'm a gal. wasn't gonna tell anyone here for a bit, but what the heck.

my mom was afraid me having a pocketknife would scare away the boys, make them not like me. guess the joke's on her now, right guys?

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

silverwing
(proud owner of several nice unladylike folders,
and trying to decide what my *next* unladylike Sharp Shiny Thing will be)

My first knife was a swedish Mora with a red painted handle and a plastic sheath - no guard - I've lost a lot of blood because of that knife. I still have the blade, but the handle was cracked many years ago - too much throwing.I was 7 when I bought that knife in Sweden.

I've forgotten how old I was -- before my teens, definitely, but beyond that I'm none too sure -- but my first knife was an inexpensive shell-bolster jackknife in the typical Boy Scout pattern. It might have been a Camillus, but was probably a no-namer like Kamp King or some such. I'd wanted a knife for what seemed like forever, and my father finally relented. (It didn't help my case that years before as a very young child I had "borrowed" a small SAK from his dresser and promptly cut myself playing with it.)

He gave me the knife, a book on whittling, and the terse instructions, "Cut away from yourself." A few years later I either lost or discarded the knife, which had rusted away to a hulk of brown garbage.

Razor

------------------
AKTI #A000845
And tomorrow when you wake up it will be worse.

My first knife was a Barlow style that I was given on Christmas just after my 7th birthday. I don't remember rules, although my father and brother did teach me safe handling and proper care for the tool. In my family, all the menfolk were expected to carry a pocket knife. But that was in 1949, and, my, how things have changed.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh

Silverwing:
Proud owner of several unladylike knives? Sounds like my kinda gal!
wink.gif
smile.gif

The lure of sharp pointy things knows no bounds to those who would have them!
Jim

I think I was about 10 and my dad gave me a 5" Buck hunting/fishing knife. I can't recall the name. I promptly lost it fishing (yes, in the water!). My Grandpa gave me a cheap switchblade when I was about 12. The spring broke after about 50 openings, and I lost that one in the ocean trying to mess with tidal pool dwellers.

------------------
"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm."
[email protected] or [email protected]

I was about 8 and my Pop bought it for me at a souviner shop on a family trip. I don't know the brand, but it was a cheap camping knife with a spoon on one side, fork on the other, and blade and bottle opener inside. I thought it was about the coolest thing I'd ever seen. I still have it.

------------------
Chris

"We Don't Rent Pigs" --Augustus McCrae

MrG

Same as before...a Camillus Cub Scout knife; I cut my thumb with it the first day my parents left me home alone with my little sister. I had the small blade open, and opened the big blade while the small one was still open, and cut my thumb pretty deeply. Of course I panicked, and called my neighbor real quick, screaming on the phone that I sliced my thumb off! Well, that's what it looked like! Five minutes later and one of those tiny band-aids is on my thumb, and I'm still hyper-ventilating.
My dad laughed, and my mom took the knife away for a week. I still have the knife, and I gave it to my son, who, of course, cut his thumb with it.
Isn't life weird?

Double Edge Dave

Moderator and Gold Member
I started very early,even cut my own umbilical cord! Thanks,folks,I`ll be here all week.
Actually,my first knife was an el-cheapo pakistani 9" kriss I won at the state fair.I was about 9.My parents immediately confiscated that sucker,so the pride of ownership lasted about 5 minutes.
At around 14,I was able to convince the parents tha a SAK was allright.After all,how dangerous could a knife be if it had a magnifying glass and toothpick?
David
AKTI#150

Silverwing; you think YOU had problems? DC was at a Catholic school, in her white blouse and jumper, when this pregnant cat got hit by a car. She did an emergency Caesarian section with her SAK in an (unsuccessful) attempt to save the kittens. While I think that this was courageous and commendable, the penguins did not. Most decidedly did not.

My 7 yo son, 'Hurricaine' Andrew, handles a lot of knives, and has been able to confidently open and close a liner lock for 2 years. His first knife is going to be a Mad Dog Lab Rat, however, as I think a fixed blade is inherently safer for kids to use.

Walt

Must have been about 1944 when I was a bit under 5 yo.
A neighbour lady who ran an antique store ( and drank a fair bit.....and bet on the horses) gave me a small penknife. I seem to remember a tortoise shell handle with no bolsters and two pen-blades. It was "lost" quite quickly......I always figured my parents thought I was "too young" but my aged mum doesn't recall.

My next recollection was at, about, age 7 when I tried to get my parents to spring for a "jungle knife" I fell in love with....no way.
The knife was an Aus made bowie with a skeleton handle of cast aluminium. Have seen them in books as made for US troops based here during WW2

------------------
BrianWE
ICQ #21525343
I think :therefore, I am......I think

Yep, I still remember......I was 8 or 8 and my parents gave me a Sharp(the brand) two bladed pocket knife. I carried that thing everywhere I went. It also gave me my first scar, appropriate I guess
smile.gif

Dark Nemesis

------------------
All the knives in the world go round and round, round and round, round and round...DAMN, one of them took my wallet !!! :)