First knife that isn't a test

For about 2 years now I've been making knives (if you can even call them all that, they were all basically test), I've spent my time practicing forging, grinding, HT, and shaping handles. Most of my test knives where simple blade shapes that would be roughly finished (sometimes without handles), sharpened, then abused to failure, unless they didn't fail. But recently a friend from work asked me to make him a knife for an up coming camping trip. So he drew out the knife he wanted and I let him pick the blade material and wood. Sales content removed. I'm used to making a half way decent knife then deciding to just keep it for myself ( this is only a hobby for me right now so I'm not worried about things like that, I'm still learning).

The knife: https://imgur.com/a/olkBQ

Length: 6- 1/2"
Blade length: 3- 1/8"
Blade thickness: 1/16th"
Handle thickness: 3/8th "
Handle material: mahagony
Steel: L6
Hardness: 58rc
Weight: ~5oz

Any comments or criticism is welcome, I still need to practice and I want some opinions

It's a pretty good feel when you finish a knife and know someone is going to put it to good use. I already have another project lined up, my woodshop teacher saw some mokume billets I was working on and asked me to make him a set of mokume spoons for his daughter.

Thanks for looking,
Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
The knife came out good.

I removed the sales comments. Discussion of sales, selling, prices, etc. is a privilege of a Knifemaker membership level and above.

I like that a lot. Thin is in, and light weight is good, in my book. At 1/16", I would find that knife very useful on a backpacking adventure.

Congratulations on getting started with mokume. That is something I have never even touched, and I am 53 years old. If you are in high school, you have many years of creative work ahead.

Thank you sir.

Mokume isn't as difficult as it seems in my opinion and is definetly a lot of fun to make. I use brass, copper, and nickel sheets.

Back