First of all...

*As always, I do not mean to offend. If, by chance, I do offend, let me know, and I will try my very best to mend the situation. I am not perfect. Let me know if I make a mess, and I'll clean it up. Peace.*
Hello, it's nice to 'see' you all again, I hope everyone is doing well, having a great afternoon, night, morning, mid morning, whatever the time zone be in your area. May change light your life and balance shadow your perception... (That was my signature catch phrase for a while, verbatim, except for changing 'soul' to 'perception'. Pretty weird, huh? I thought it sounded zen-ish at the time, but I've made mistakes before.... Oh well. Thought a certain moderator would enjoy that little 'David quote'...you know who you are. *COUGH* *COUGH* howard wallace *COUGH* *COUGH*:p)
Anyway, I'd like to share a discovery I made recently...but first, we can all agree that art, in all its many forms and types, is generally accepted to be a form of self expression, communication, and therapy for the brain and body, right? Since no one is present to argue with me, I'll move on...I have been stricken and ensnared by the beauty of what I call Zen Art, maybe called Sumi-e, or something like that. I bought brush after brush and ink bottle after ink bottle, and actually used them, surprisingly enough, not tirelessly, but enough to justify the purchases, at the very least.
I have managed not to sink in this incredibly difficult-to-master art form, but I am, by no means, an expert. I might have just barely achieved the beginner ranking, but I have a long, possibly life long journey ahead before I can say I am good at brush and ink 'paintings'.
The amazing thing is, though, is that I am NOT doing all this work, and buying all these materials, for the end result...solely. I believe I am not a zen master, but I am actually beginning on the path of the ever flowing circle, that I am beginning to care less about what is accomplished by my journey, and more about the journey itself. I like this path, and I embrace it. When people make me angry in my social group, I don't yell, scream, rage, break things...I turn to my brush and paper, and MAKE things, instead. When people, places or things throw me off balance, I don't lose my head, I don't destroy...I create.
And that, I believe, is a transition into my main point. Perfection is impossible to achieve, but balance is more than possible, even if it is only a momentary balance. I have yoga, and this wonderful form of art, in my life now, and despite my twisted perception, despite how much and often I am off balanced, I do find balance when I immerse myself in either of those two tasks. So, I leave you all today with some advice, (yes, advice from a twenty year old, how strange, but stranger things have happened, right?), and I hope you all find it at least somewhat useful. In order to achieve balance in your life, live a balanced life. Flow past obstacles, find the path of least resistance and most meaning to you, and follow it. There will be problems, and so, to, will solutions be there. Often to help others, you must help yourself, sometimes, to win, you must lose.
Well...that's that. Now, the real last thing I am going to ask, is...did I sound like a self help guru or what? Not too bad of a philosophy for someone who could have ended up a wild, risk taking, time slaying, party-er and partaker in illegal drugs and activities and what not, am I right? Alright, yes, it does smell like I just copied snippets from philosophical self help magazines and books and Frankenstein-ed them into one, and maybe I did, but it was not intentional at all, as I used no clear cut reference points, save for my trusty brain. Well, I hope you all have a good rest of the day, and I'll await your comments. Peace, everyone.
David

I also enjoy sumi-e. I have an app for my iPad called Zen Brush that lets me create images without wasting paper and ink and the frustration that would ensue. Its very relaxing and I'm actually thinking of using a logo I created with it for my photography.

I have that app too. The only problem is...its on my iphone, and it is extremely difficult with my shaky hands to ink a masterpiece on its tiny screen with my medium large fingers. But, I do agree that it is an awesome app. Peace. Hope you use that logo, sounds really cool.
David

There is a beauty to calligraphy that captured me when I was in Taiwan, and for a time I tried to learn it. Far more difficult than one would think, and it is unfortunate that there are only so many hours in the day.

What I really enjoyed about it, besides the peace (and/or frustration) one feels, was the primitive nature of gently grinding a inkstick into the stone with a small amount of water to make the ink. It is these kinds of details that I really found soothing. Might have to look into taking it up again.

So, what exactly is the difference between the crushable solid sticks of ink and the ink bottles? It certainly sounds cool, basically controlling how thick, thin, washed out or deep your ink is, and I know where I could get some, but they don't really explain the difference. I assume part of the difference is that it is NOT waterproof like my ink bottles are.
On a slightly different note, I'll keep an eye on that book, as I just spent the last of my monthly 'allowance' on some good drawing pencils to complete the project my DVR instructor asked me to complete for her boss. It looks like an incredible resource. Thanks Howard, for pointing it out to me. Peace.
David

The stick inks are carbon based, like india ink. They do not dissolve.

Waterproof ink can have several definitions, sometimes meaning the ink contains shellac. The stick ink does not qualify as waterproof under this definition, but I'm guessing your bottled ink will not either. The stick ink shares the same qualities as other carbon-based inks.

Part of the charm is the meditative process of grinding. The stick ink, the inkstone, the brush, and the paper are the four treasures of the traditional Chinese scholar.

Back