1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

First one, looking forward!

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Mkwaffles4, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Mkwaffles4

Mkwaffles4

Nov 11, 2018
    Hey everyone,

So today I placed my first order for a Rarmandu! I’ve never owned any Swamp Rat or Busse. I’ve been using a Rat-7 and a falkniven f1 for at least the last 6 years and decided it was time for a new knife. I’ve only heard great things about the Ratmandu and I am extremely excited! I opted for the desert sage blade finish with the maroon Micarta. While I haven’t seen a picture of what this combo will look like it looks great on my head and I know time is going to feel so slow until I get my hands on it.

2. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Congrats on the purchase, very nice knife. Be sure to post up pictures when you get it (I like using imgur).

Also, the ratmandu looks really nice with the coating stripped if you don't like the color combo ;). I'm a bit biased.

2nd from the top is the ratmandu. I actually traded mine off yesterday because I have a knife that I like a little bit better for my uses in the same size range, the LT wright bushcrafter mark II. And now I have an excuse to get black micarta handles to match the rest. You can tell which one gets the most use... though that's probably mostly because I got that one first. The SYKCO 911 (tan handle) has been beaten pretty decently the past few weeks after this initial stripper pic.
    [​IMG]

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  3. Mkwaffles4

Mkwaffles4

Nov 11, 2018
    Awesome collection! And yeah I stripped my Rat-7 after wearing the powder coat on it enough, but I do like all the customization the ratmandu offered. I swear I had 6 different color combinations in my shopping cart before sticking with one haha.

Uncle Timbo and bikerector like this.
  4. fmrranger

fmrranger Basic Member Basic Member

May 13, 2010
    Great blade, I'm sure you'll love it! Post pics when it arrives.

5. Mkwaffles4

Mkwaffles4

Nov 11, 2018
    Hey guys! So I have been spending this week looking at a bunch of different sheaths. Can anyone point me in the direction to someone that makes leather sheaths for this knife? I am trying to get one before I get my blade, I think I still have plenty of time haha.

6. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    @azwelke

@Makael

And JRE industries model N will fit the ratmandu also. JRE is who makes LT Wright's sheaths and it's what I had for my RMD but the two gentleman above do a nice job, along with a few others but they're the two I've looked at or worked with for custom work.

Uncle Timbo and azwelke like this.
  7. Mkwaffles4

Mkwaffles4

Nov 11, 2018
    Thank you for the quick response! I will definitely go check them out. Thanks!

azwelke likes this.
  8. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    @cpirtle has been putting out a lot of great leather bussekin sheaths as well.

Uncle Timbo and Hard Knocks like this.
  9. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    In addition to the other makers above, there's one on the exchange that was built by Chuddy Bear. That maker is excellent (don't think he's taking orders any more tho) and that's reflected by the price on it.

Not leather, but if you don't find what you're looking for, the spec ops short is a pretty good match for the RMD.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Uncle Timbo and ilyk like this.
  10. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    And AzWelke used to make formed kydex inserts for Spec Ops sheaths too

Uncle Timbo and Hard Knocks like this.
  11. Mkwaffles4

Mkwaffles4

Nov 11, 2018
    Thank you all very much for all of the help! After much thinking I have decided to go with a Kydex sheath from @azwelke. I just moved and now that I live in a snowy and wet environment it just makes more sense. And those kryptek colors won me over! Again thank you everyone and I can’t wait to post pictures of it all as soon as it comes in.

azwelke likes this.
  12. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Al is a good maker for sure. Here's one of his builds in a kryptek pattern for the Ratweiler. I'd like to see yours for the RMD when it's done :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Uncle Timbo and azwelke like this.
  13. Mkwaffles4

Mkwaffles4

Nov 11, 2018
    Will do! I ordered it in the Neptune kryptek. Should all look pretty cool together.

Hard Knocks and inkynate like this.
  14. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    I generally prefer kydex, :thumbsup: on Welke.

[​IMG]

Hard Knocks and Uncle Timbo like this.
  15. Mkwaffles4

Mkwaffles4

Nov 11, 2018
    [​IMG] I received my sheath from azwelke today, looks amazing! I’ll make sure to post another update whenever I recieve my Ratmandu, with better lighting hopefully.

bikerector and Hard Knocks like this.
  16. Mkwaffles4

Mkwaffles4

Nov 11, 2018
    She’s here! Love this knife! Everything is great and so much attention to detail in it. Awesome color combo as well if you ask me![​IMG]

Hard Knocks likes this.
  17. Mkwaffles4

Mkwaffles4

Nov 11, 2018
    bikerector likes this.
  18. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    [​IMG]

19. Mkwaffles4

Mkwaffles4

Nov 11, 2018