Off Topic First Rit Dye

I did my first Rit Dye today. It's navy blue on the tan PM2. I think it looks better in person than in the picture. Not bad for my first time trying. I'm fairly happy with the results. Have you guys had success with Rit Dye?

dYsijXP.jpg

I did my first Rit Dye today. It's navy blue on the tan PM2. I think it looks better in person than in the picture. Not bad for my first time trying. I'm fairly happy with the results. Have you guys had success with Rit Dye?

Yep, both with G10 and FRN. The FRN was a lot more vivid, this yellow Salt went fairly red. I haven't taken pictures with the G10, but it was quite amusing to hit pink G10 with black dye and have it come back purple.
ek7Ur9D.jpg

Yep, both with G10 and FRN. The FRN was a lot more vivid, this yellow Salt went fairly red. I haven't taken pictures with the G10, but it was quite amusing to hit pink G10 with black dye and have it come back purple.
ek7Ur9D.jpg

I like the color on that. It makes me wonder if I should try to dye my green Bugout.

Did the scales on my junglas 2 a couple months ago. Was supposed to come out graphite but I overdid it slightly as I was worried it might not take properly. They started out green. G10 is a step up though!
upload_2018-9-19_12-57-31-jpeg.988105

aquaman67 aquaman67 , that started out as green g-10, correct? Looks good, was it disassembled before hot water treatment, how long? Thanks much.

Thanks, since I have never used rit dye was wondering how to do it.

Dye job looks great! Im thinking of picking up a purple endura at a good price and would want to do the rit dye treatment to the FRN scales . What color options would be possible starting with purple scales or am I limited to dying black?

Dye job looks great! Im thinking of picking up a purple endura at a good price and would want to do the rit dye treatment to the FRN scales . What color options would be possible starting with purple scales or am I limited to dying black?
I think you would be limited to dark colors. Red, navy blue, or black. I would recommend going with the gray. Also, make sure to use the synthetic rit dye and not the regular.

I think you would be limited to dark colors. Red, navy blue, or black. I would recommend going with the gray. Also, make sure to use the synthetic rit dye and not the regular.

Problem is you can't go lighter with Rit dye. Also, I've seen that there's no difference between syn. dye & the regular dye.

Gray scales would definitely be ideal to have more color options w the dye but the Endura i ended up buying was only in purple with the discount price. I was mainly just wondering if I had any other color options besides black results which is fine and I like the dark blue or red options also. Maybe maroon? Good info.

Curious has anyone tried LIGHTLY sanding or blasting the FRN before dying to maybe make the color adhere better/ be more durable or is that not necessary? Seems from what ive read with rit dye its pretty durable already and doesnt stain your pocket or come off super easy.

Last edited:
Oh you wanted a good base color, my bad. I thought you meant going grey from a darker color. Oh yeah, grey or tan/khaki would be the better choices for a base color. From what I've seen, sanding is not necessary. I thought for sure that some of that dye would come off, but nope. Not yet anywho.

Do you think a dark blue is achievable starting out w purple scales? I actually bought the endura with the intention of doing a dye project. (Not a huge fan of purple lol but the price was decent) and this will be my first dye job. I havent found anyone yet searching online who has dyed purple scales to get more info on it. ive read if you have say for example, yellow scales and use blue dye you can end up with green so im not sure how the purple would affect the final color? Originally i was just gonna dye them black but If i could get dark blue results I would be pretty happy. Idk Maybe im over thinking this But im wondering what color RIT i would need, just a dark blue dye? My new to me endura should be here toward the end of the week.

Do you think a dark blue is achievable starting out w purple scales? I actually bought the endura with the intention of doing a dye project. (Not a huge fan of purple lol but the price was decent) and this will be my first dye job. I havent found anyone yet searching online who has dyed purple scales to get more info on it. ive read if you have say for example, yellow scales and use blue dye you can end up with green so im not sure how the purple would affect the final color? Originally i was just gonna dye them black but If i could get dark blue results I would be pretty happy. Idk Maybe im over thinking this But im wondering what color RIT i would need, just a dark blue dye? My new to me endura should be here toward the end of the week.
How dark do you want the blue? I think that if you’re ok with a dark navy blue, you’ll get a nice color.

How dark do you want the blue? I think that if you’re ok with a dark navy blue, you’ll get a nice color.

Honestly Im just wanting to get away from the purple. As far as shade im not gonna be too picky since im starting w a darker base color to begin with and am limited on choices. Dark navy blue would be good. I think im gonna go with that as it would be nicer than black and i already have a black Delica. Ill post before and after pics when i get done. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back