1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off Topic First Rit Dye

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Bobadilla004, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Bobadilla004

Bobadilla004

Mar 8, 2016
    I did my first Rit Dye today. It's navy blue on the tan PM2. I think it looks better in person than in the picture. Not bad for my first time trying. I'm fairly happy with the results. Have you guys had success with Rit Dye?

[​IMG]

Edgeoflife likes this.
  2. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    Yep, both with G10 and FRN. The FRN was a lot more vivid, this yellow Salt went fairly red. I haven't taken pictures with the G10, but it was quite amusing to hit pink G10 with black dye and have it come back purple. [​IMG]

Edgeoflife likes this.
  3. Bobadilla004

Bobadilla004

Mar 8, 2016
    I like the color on that. It makes me wonder if I should try to dye my green Bugout.

4. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Anybody that takes some dye to their G10 gets my approval.

5. Patrice

Patrice Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Did the scales on my junglas 2 a couple months ago. Was supposed to come out graphite but I overdid it slightly as I was worried it might not take properly. They started out green. G10 is a step up though!
    [​IMG]

Edgeoflife likes this.
  6. aquaman67

aquaman67

Jan 27, 2012
    It looks good!

[​IMG] Here’s my natural G-10 M4 bladed PM2 I dyed orange-ish

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    gotgoat, Edgeoflife and Bobadilla004 like this.
  7. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    @aquaman67, that started out as green g-10, correct? Looks good, was it disassembled before hot water treatment, how long? Thanks much.

8. aquaman67

aquaman67

Jan 27, 2012
    Yes they were green G-10 and the knife was completely disassembled.

I simmered them approximately 30 minutes.

9. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Thanks, since I have never used rit dye was wondering how to do it.

10. Edgeoflife

Edgeoflife

Oct 11, 2018
    Dye job looks great! Im thinking of picking up a purple endura at a good price and would want to do the rit dye treatment to the FRN scales . What color options would be possible starting with purple scales or am I limited to dying black?

11. GeofS

GeofS Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Light tan micarta dyed to maroon...

[​IMG]

Edgeoflife likes this.
  12. Bobadilla004

Bobadilla004

Mar 8, 2016
    I think you would be limited to dark colors. Red, navy blue, or black. I would recommend going with the gray. Also, make sure to use the synthetic rit dye and not the regular.

GeofS and Edgeoflife like this.
  13. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz

Aug 15, 2016
    Problem is you can't go lighter with Rit dye. Also, I've seen that there's no difference between syn. dye & the regular dye.

Edgeoflife likes this.
  14. Edgeoflife

Edgeoflife

Oct 11, 2018
    Gray scales would definitely be ideal to have more color options w the dye but the Endura i ended up buying was only in purple with the discount price. I was mainly just wondering if I had any other color options besides black results which is fine and I like the dark blue or red options also. Maybe maroon? Good info.

15. Edgeoflife

Edgeoflife

Oct 11, 2018
    Curious has anyone tried LIGHTLY sanding or blasting the FRN before dying to maybe make the color adhere better/ be more durable or is that not necessary? Seems from what ive read with rit dye its pretty durable already and doesnt stain your pocket or come off super easy.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 12:43 PM
  16. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz

Aug 15, 2016
    Oh you wanted a good base color, my bad. I thought you meant going grey from a darker color. Oh yeah, grey or tan/khaki would be the better choices for a base color. From what I've seen, sanding is not necessary. I thought for sure that some of that dye would come off, but nope. Not yet anywho.

Edgeoflife likes this.
  17. Edgeoflife

Edgeoflife

Oct 11, 2018
    Do you think a dark blue is achievable starting out w purple scales? I actually bought the endura with the intention of doing a dye project. (Not a huge fan of purple lol but the price was decent) and this will be my first dye job. I havent found anyone yet searching online who has dyed purple scales to get more info on it. ive read if you have say for example, yellow scales and use blue dye you can end up with green so im not sure how the purple would affect the final color? Originally i was just gonna dye them black but If i could get dark blue results I would be pretty happy. Idk Maybe im over thinking this But im wondering what color RIT i would need, just a dark blue dye? My new to me endura should be here toward the end of the week.

18. Bobadilla004

Bobadilla004

Mar 8, 2016
    How dark do you want the blue? I think that if you’re ok with a dark navy blue, you’ll get a nice color.

Edgeoflife likes this.
  19. Bobadilla004

Bobadilla004

Mar 8, 2016
    How dark do you want the blue? I think that if you’re ok with a dark navy blue, you’ll get a nice color.

20. Edgeoflife

Edgeoflife

Oct 11, 2018
    Honestly Im just wanting to get away from the purple. As far as shade im not gonna be too picky since im starting w a darker base color to begin with and am limited on choices. Dark navy blue would be good. I think im gonna go with that as it would be nicer than black and i already have a black Delica. Ill post before and after pics when i get done. Thanks for the suggestion.