First Sebenza 21, sharpening advice? Uneven Grind?

Hello,

Just got my first sebenza used. Was hoping that it wouldn't blow me away... But sadly I was wrong. I can understand the hype.

Knife came to me used, and slightly dull with what looks to be the factory edge. I went to sharpen it up on my sharpmaker @ 20 degrees, and well, one side almost hits the edge, the other side misses it. The difference is especially obvious near the tip.

I do have a KME, if I have to reprofile I can use that. However, I'm much better with it when starting out with an edge that is already even.

Any thoughts or advice? Is this semi-normal? I know that they are hand sharpened.

Thanks

rV3ASka.jpg

oVY9Yud.jpg

That is a common issue when using the sharpmaker. One option is to reprofile. Another option is to manually adjust your angle to hit the edge on the side you are having trouble with.

If it still has the factory edge, they come with a convex edge from the factory. Some more convex than others. That would explain why you're not hitting the apex on the Sharp Maker. You will either have to stick with the convex edge or re profile and put a true vee edge on it. The KME does have a rod for convex grinds. I've got one, but have never used it.

In my experience a reprofiled is necessary for using the sharpmaker on a CRK. I usually use the SM with diamond rods for this to ensure that however it gets reprofiled with align perfectly with the sharpmaker setting I prefer to use. I usually find that the belly, toward the tip of the knife is more obtuse than the rest of the blade. Once you’ve reprofiled it’s super easy to touch up with the sharpmaker so I always consider it worth the work.

Send it in for a resharpening? So you would know it's where it should be?

The convex bevel is really tough to maintain. I tried the stropping thing with minimal success. Sharpmaker was okay, but you really have to take a deep cut on the 20 degree rods to hit the edge (as you saw in your pics).

I reprofiled to 20 DPS V bevel on my WE, and I’ve been very happy. If you have a KME, I’d suggest the same.

Here is a pic to give you the idea of a 20 DPS bevel on a large 21.

https://imgur.com/gallery/7FNPvui

Here is another suggestion which is also the way I maintain the edge on all my knives: Once I notice the edge getting a little dull I hone it with a cheap kitchen steel and finish with a strop. As long as you don’t have any chips or a badly rolled edge, this should bring it back to shaving sharp. It doesn’t matter if the edge bevels are v or convex ground as you are only re-aligning the apex.

I went ahead and hit it with the KME @ 19 degrees so I could touch up on sharpmaker.

I didn't attempt to totally even out the grind, so its still a little off at the tip, but at least its sharp.

All my CRKS get a 19-20 degree re-profile to a proper V edge. 1000x easier to maintain and minimise steel loss over the years with a sharpmaker.

Back