1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

First Spyderco

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by jhawk66901, Dec 14, 2013.

1. jhawk66901

jhawk66901

Jun 1, 2013
    I received my first Spyderco in the mail yesterday and just thought I'd share initial impressions. I had been wanting one for some time but kept putting it off or getting a different knife instead. I decided, based on reviews and what I might use it for, to go with a Para 2. I have used several different brands of knives but have primarily had Benchmade. So, it was a little strange to me to not only be missing the axis lock but to have the compression lock instead. In addition, the hole threw me a bit because I have both Byrd and Benchmades with the hole opening but this was more difficult to open at first...stronger detent on the Para 2, which is a good thing. I still use my thumb but have actually found opening it with my middle finger to be faster and easier, just in case I have to cut open a cardboard box urgently :)

It may have only been 24 hours, but this knife is growing on me very quickly. I'm starting to really like the compression lock and this is a slicing machine. I will definitely be adding additional Spydercos to my want list of knives.

2. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Jhawk,

Welcome and thanx for the comments and support.

sal

3. jhawk66901

jhawk66901

Jun 1, 2013
    Thank you for the response. In addition to a great product, that kind of personal response creates a loyal customer for years to come. Thank you

4. AddictedToGear

AddictedToGear

Aug 28, 2013
    Welcome and that is a great option for your first Spyderco. They make such great knives, some of my favorite user knifes. They do have one heck of a detent.

5. caseydog

caseydog

Dec 7, 2013
    I was looking at that myself...have 2 tenacious and a. Manix 2 XL..nice first spydy

6. mrynecy

mrynecy

Jun 3, 2012
    You chose a great 1st Spyderco. Have a PM2 in my pocket right now. I see many more sydies in your future. enjoy!

7. Krav

Krav Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 6, 2013
    :cool:So, which one ya getting next?

8. jhawk66901

jhawk66901

Jun 1, 2013
    Well the short list would be manix 2, military, Southard, and possibly domino. I will enjoy this one for a couple of months to get a good feel for it and decide what I want. I say that but it will be sooner than a month.

9. Krav

Krav Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 6, 2013
    I've been eyeballing the manix 2 xl pretty hard lately . :)

10. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Could be my favorite. I put a low carry clip on mine and it makes a big difference in how much room it takes up in my pocket. If I were pressed to choose only one do everything knife this one would be a consideration.

11. Custom

Custom

Jan 15, 2012
    congrats on the purchase! amazing knife

12. racer88

racer88

Nov 4, 2010
    Welcome to the addiction! The PM2 is a great knife. Very good choice.

My most recent is the Domino, and it is fantastic. It won't leave my pocket and let the other ~50 Spydies come out and play.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  13. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    Welcome. The pm2 used to be my most carried knife...until I got a military. :)

14. Revival29

Revival29

Jan 9, 2013
    You selected an awesome first spydie.......welcome to the addiction.