First Spyderco?

Been doing a TON of research on acquiring a new blade, and although there are many options on the table I'm interested in trying out Spyderco. Top choices seem to be paramilitary2 or manix2, would one consider these the best candidates for a first time spyderco purchase? I'm looking for something absolutely rock-solid, low-maintenance, useful for many purposes, and comfortable ergonomics. I want it to be as useful for whittling wood as it would be for cutting a copper wire, dunno if that's a great comparison but it's late and that's what came to mind.

It's a tall order for sure, so hit me with your recommendations if yall could be so kind. :D

I'd choose the Manix 2.
Especially with your preference for "rock solid". Comparing both FFG S30V in the PM2 and Manix 2 the blade is a bit thicker at the tip on the Manix.
Both use the same pivot style so have the same smooth opening/closing characteristics when broken in and adjusted correctly.
As far as lock preferences, they're both great performers. I'm not going to open that can of worms as to which is better. :rolleyes: It mostly comes down to personal preference anyway.

I say if u can hold them both and then pick the best feeling knife but if u can't then go with the one design I like slightly better. I own a pm2 and a s90v military and I love them both but without holding a m2 I can't say which I think is better without being majorly biased but with either knife u can't go wrong. The pm2 is lighter then the g10 m2. Good luck on your choice :) or u could get both :D

Between the two, I would strongly suggest the PM2. I have found the ergonomics to be much better, and the construction simply feels more solid and of more quality. I must also add, for a quintessential Spyderco knife to acquire, you may also want to consider the Gayle Bradley - a piece of even better quality, not to mention value.

Spyderco Techo. You won't find a beefier little knife anywhere. Also, I've heard that many people stopped carrying the likes of Striders, Hinderers, and even Sebenzas in favour of the Techno.

The only folder that gives my SnG a break is my Para Military.
You might want a Salt folder also, for rainy days.
rolf

I love the Delica, pretty much all the knife I need when I need something beyond my Vic Cadet. But you seem to be looking higher up the price scale. However, if you are looking for a great value, then the Delica delivers.

I got an s90v manix xl a month or so before I got a cts-204p pm2. The manix has been the more impressive of the two knives, it's smoother and I find one handed operation both open and close is easier on it now that the cbbl is broken in. The pm2 is the better slicer between the two but I think that is a result of the steel more than anything else. Both are very good in the ergos department. I really like the "reverse wharncliffe" style of pm2 blade. If you get one you'll probably get the other eventually anyway.

To me, the first go-to for the Spyderco brand is the Delica or Endura 4. That's really the 'staple' of the brand, a helluva good value, and a good way to experience the Spyderco design features first hand. If one likes it, then it's a good lead to a more expensive model. If not, financial investment wasn't huge. I love the Para and Manix too. IMO every knife fan needs a PM2!

I suggest a Manix 2 LW in SV110, while they're still available. Best steel in the industry, incredibly low weight, but very strong. I prefer it to the Para-2 because it is thinner and lighter, but just as strong.

I will never understand why some individuals vastly prefer G10/steel liners over FRN, other than aesthetic preferences. FRN handles are just as strong at a fraction of the weight.

Between the two, I would strongly suggest the PM2. I have found the ergonomics to be much better, and the construction simply feels more solid and of more quality. I must also add, for a quintessential Spyderco knife to acquire, you may also want to consider the Gayle Bradley - a piece of even better quality, not to mention value.

I've been really considering something in M4, and the Gayle Bradley seems to be a very fine if not THE candidate. However I'm still wrestling with it first because it's not stainless and second because the handle doesn't look as comfortable as the PM2. I've got large hands and the PM2 looks like it would be REALLY comfortable, so does the Manix. Thoughts on the ergonomics?

I'd choose the Manix 2.
Especially with your preference for "rock solid". Comparing both FFG S30V in the PM2 and Manix 2 the blade is a bit thicker at the tip on the Manix.
Both use the same pivot style so have the same smooth opening/closing characteristics when broken in and adjusted correctly.
As far as lock preferences, they're both great performers. I'm not going to open that can of worms as to which is better. It mostly comes down to personal preference anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I read that the ball-bearing lock on the Manix2 sits in a polymer cage? My concern is that a moving part that isn't metal will degrade over time, and when I buy a knife I intend for it to work forever without wearing out or needing replacement parts. I really like the aesthetics and handle of the Manix but that lock is scaring me a bit as I simply don't have any experience with it or anything even similar. Any thoughts on this?

Spyderco Techo. You won't find a beefier little knife anywhere. Also, I've heard that many people stopped carrying the likes of Striders, Hinderers, and even Sebenzas in favour of the Techno.

HAHA it does indeed look like a CHUNKY little workhorse, which I do like. Once again though, the handle is a bit of a turn off as I need something that really has a GREAT, ergonomic handle and that one doesn't seem as fitting. Honestly I'd like to have ALL these knives and hopefully I can acquire a few of them over time, we'll see. :p

Quick price glance shows the Manix about 100, the PM2 about 120 and the Gayle Bradley at 145. These prices seem fair?

Yep those prices are good. I'm just about to pull the trigger on the GB. It's the prettiest and toughest of the bunch in my opinion. Heaviest as well.

I'm not sure that either the Manix or the Para 2 are the knife I would choose for whittling wood, and cutting copper wire.

Maybe Delicate or Endura ? Both are great workhorses.

I missed the cutting wire part...in that case, the CPM-M4 blade on the GB will likely be one of the better matched steels for your needs. It's tough, it holds an edge a long time, and it maintains a useful edge even when you cut materials that are notoriously hard on knife blades and quickly damage steel that is not as wear-resistant or as tough as M4. M4 is an excellent choice when cutting abrasive objects, harder objects, and other metals.

I might as well face my knife lust head-on and realize that in the end I will probably end up with both the Gayle Bradley AND the PM2. I've been lusting after Spyderco's for some time now and I doubt just one will satisfy me forever. I think I will start with the GB first though as the harder blade should suit my purposes quite well as a hard-use utility cutter (and also it should teach me better blade hygiene as having mostly stainless has made me lazy). The PM2 will be around forever and can be acquired later on down the road when the funds allow it. :p

Thanks for the helpful advice my friends, it is always appreciated. :) Special thanks to tchapman414 for prodding me to look again at the GB.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I read that the ball-bearing lock on the Manix2 sits in a polymer cage? My concern is that a moving part that isn't metal will degrade over time, and when I buy a knife I intend for it to work forever without wearing out or needing replacement parts. I really like the aesthetics and handle of the Manix but that lock is scaring me a bit as I simply don't have any experience with it or anything even similar. Any thoughts on this?

You are not quite right if I understand the way you are thinking about it. The steel ball bearing in the Manix wedges between the steel blade tang and a steel liner. The polymer cage part you have read about is simply the polymer piece you can see on the outside of the ball to aid in purchase on the ball bearing. I seem to remember one case where the cage (which is two pieces with the ball sandwiched in between) came apart. I would not worry about it at all. There are non-caged ball bearing locks. I like both designs, the cage is functionally good, but the open ball is a lot neater to me. I think the only "knife" that has an open ball available right now is the marlin spike on the Tusk. The Phoenix, Dodo (that may still be available), and some others have used that design. The steel or ceramic ball can be slippery so the Manix employs the caged version.

Have no reservations with either knife. I would personally have reservations with cutting copper wire myself, but I have played around with my Manix in S110V with hard wood, and the steel did great. I would not recommend either folder for long term whittling though. You need a good contoured handle for that, and most likely only a fixed blade will give you that, not to mention a Scandi grind would excel at wood. And yes, you should get a Gayle Bradley eventually, if not now.

Back