First time for a second spa trip...

After 12 years, I've had my first truly frustrating experience with CRK. Sent off my Large 21 Micarta for the second time now.

I purchased this knife this summer, and while it was in great condition, it had a little bit of play. So, I boxed it up and sent it back, had them tumble the blade and clean up the handles while they were at it, that way I could put all the marks on it myself. They had it for about 5 weeks before notifying me it was ready to head back to me.

The knife arrived here on Thursday, just a week ago, and when I excitedly opened the package, I found that not only did the knife have more play than when I sent it in, the tip was rounded off from their sharpening the blade after its retumble.

I contacted them, and shipped the knife back yesterday. I've owned Sebenzas since 2005, had 7 IIRC, and have sent two back for spa service. They're my favorite knives, and I've never had anything but positive experiences with CRK, so this is a first. This will now be the third time this knife has been at the factory. I'll update when I get the knife back, and while I understand things happen, I gotta say that my rock solid confidence in CRK is a bit shaken. I hope they make the knife right this time.

UPDATE: CRK took care of this knife, and me, exactly as they should. Happy ending, all was resolved.

Last edited:
Id be bummed too as its only every year or two im willing to spend $400+ on a new pointy toy, i mean tool. But these things happen even with our favorite companies. Now if it comes back again with issues then that would be a big concern. Last time i had a warranty issue they replaced the blade and sent me a check to cover insured shipping charges. Im hooked for sure. Im due to pick up a knife soon. Deciding between a Dozier and the Inkosi Insingo atm.
Goodluck and cheer up!

Funny reading this now... just today i was contacted saying my two sebenzas are being shipped back from engraving. Anyways, this is a real bummer but simply a rare mistake. None the less a bummer. The only trouble, and trust me I know, is waiting all that time to get your knife back. If you could drive down the street and get it fixed then hell, this all would be no sweat

I have used the spa service only twice so far first time it took 2 months to get back to me and second time is just now sent it in a few days ago. Lets hope i get it a bit sooner than two months. Having sent 3 folders it will hard without them for so long. I do have others but each one is special to me.

It is human to err so its understandable to me if it happens but rounded off tip and blade play? I just dont see how it would have passed tru quality check before shipping. The tip i understand if they miss but blade play i just dont see how. Mind boggling.

Now if it comes back second time and same thing that would be a knife in my heart in a way.

For me i ask NOT to sharpen my blades as i have a WE and also belt grinders then to remove much more steel than necessary.

If, and I mean IF, I ever send my knives back to spa I'm going to ask them not to sharpen my knives anymore. Not going to rehash my issues but suffice to say they have been inconsistent.

If, and I mean IF, I ever send my knives back to spa I'm going to ask them not to sharpen my knives anymore. Not going to rehash my issues but suffice to say they have been inconsistent.

I just dont see a reason to ask them to sharpen if you have a clamping system. As far as Sharpmaker or benchstones thats a different story, unless you are a pro.

Last edited:
Kayla called yesterday, said knife is repaired, and asked for my shirt size, as they were including a t shirt for the inconvenience.

Looking forward to having it back, and Kayla has just been terrific.

I too will be sending a knife back to CRK after just receiving it back. I sent a Large Starbenza 21 in for a blade replacement, and it came back and developed lock rock, whereas I can't muster even a bit of play out of my 6 other CRK's. I'm really in disbelief that this would happen, I'm hoping they accelerate the repair process so that it isn't a 2 month wait again.

I'm not going to bash since CRK is still my favorite knife maker,but, your experience is not uncommon to me as I've yet to have a good experience when sending a knife in for a spa treatment.
I've accepted that unless it has something significantly wrong I won't send it in.
I sharpen them myself and whatever they end up looking like from use is what they will look like for the long haul.

I hope that your knife has been repaired properly and hope that CRK monitors these kinds of threads to help improve QC. Accidents happen and we're all only human but when you put out perfection from the factory people expect it from warranty as well.

I'm thankful that this service is available from CRK, it truly adds to the value of the knives that they produce. I generally don't mention minor issues from a spa treatment for fear that one day they'll discontinue the policy and we'll be left to do all of this ourselves- can you imagine the threads that's start if that were the case?
Plus, we wouldn't have the Free Shirt Club then

Last edited:
Could someone please tell me the definition of lock rock? Is it blade play when the knife is in the locked position?

Will do, everyone.

Could someone please tell me the definition of lock rock? Is it blade play when the knife is in the locked position?

To be clear, my knife didn't have this, it had lateral play. However, lock rock (as I understand it) is when the lock is engaged, but the blade can rock up and down slightly, likely due to stop pin size or a lock fitting issue. This can be tricky to differentiate from flex, as sometimes you can have tight lock up, but feel a slight movement vertically from the lock bar flexing.

Will do, everyone.

To be clear, my knife didn't have this, it had lateral play. However, lock rock (as I understand it) is when the lock is engaged, but the blade can rock up and down slightly, likely due to stop pin size or a lock fitting issue. This can be tricky to differentiate from flex, as sometimes you can have tight lock up, but feel a slight movement vertically from the lock bar flexing.

I'm pretty sure mine originated from using the same lockside/stop pin with a new blade, the tolerances probably didn't line up. I've never had a Sebenza lock flex at all so any movement in the vertical position felt unusual to me, I've come to expect that from CRK which is why I am sending it in today. The 3 other 21's I have cannot be flexed in any direction.

I'm pretty sure mine originated from using the same lockside/stop pin with a new blade, the tolerances probably didn't line up. I've never had a Sebenza lock flex at all so any movement in the vertical position felt unusual to me, I've come to expect that from CRK which is why I am sending it in today. The 3 other 21's I have cannot be flexed in any direction.

I think that's why CRK does not ship the PB washers. The tiniest of difference can affect opening of blade (stiff, free drop, blade play, etc).

Knife arrived today, all is as it should be. ZERO blade play, as indicated in the note that they double checked.

Interesting that last time, the knife came with a free dropping blade. It doesn't this time, I can tell the action is a bit tighter, but I am looking forward to breaking it in. The edge is extremely well done as well this time.

I can't complain about the service at all. It's aggravating that a mistake happened, but as a business owner myself, I can appreciate that it happens sometimes. What's more important is how the issue is remedied, and they took the time to insure that this knife was right when it came back. Also, Kayla is a peach.

Chalk one up for CRK. :thumbsup:

My Starbenza is on its way back after about 2 weeks. I have to say, CRK has been fantastic when it comes to customer service. Obviously they were deeply apologetic for the issue in the first place (which was indeed disappointing), but they also offered to give me a return shipping label for the old blade that was replaced so that they could ensure that the lock would work with both the new and old blade. I declined because I'm not interested in ever using the old blade again. They also threw in a t-shirt for free, which is a nice touch. I'll let everyone know when it's back.

Dealing with "Tweakers" ( which we all are to some extent) makes me appreciate customer service where they try hard. No body bats 100% so I agree it 's how CRK handles things that makes them special ..... oh yeah , and the Knives don't hurt !!! I want a CRK 45 folder!!!!

Back