First time using the sharpmaker and I cut myself!

On the thumb about a cm wide. Doesn't even hurt since the knife was already at the "scary sharp" stage.

Note to self: Place thumb with finger behind guards and not parallel to sharpmaker.

I haven't cut myself sharpening anything on it yet, but there have been a few times when I started doing the motion too fast and caught the top of the file. "Slow and steady" I have to tell myself.

At least you know it works. ;)

And yeah, they include the hand guards for a reason. :thumbup:

Another way to insure that you do not cut your hand with the Sharpmaker is to use a Quick Clamp and clamp it to the table or bench and this way you can hold and guide the knife using both hands. This has worked well for me, especially with large blades. It helps you hold the larger knives properly through the whole stroke. Small knives do not need this as much, but it does not hurt to have both hands guiding the blade through the full stroke. If both hands are holding the knife, you do not even need the guards to keep safe. My .02$ worth.

We started a new forum!

ThreadMoving.jpg

Been there , done that. Use the guard. After a few knives it's a moot point. You just need to practice.

Back