First timer, where to send for HT?

Hey guys, Haven't been on the forum in years, as I've just been too busy with other stuff. (too busy with work and making lots of children lol!) But recently I made time to finish using up two bars of 1084 that I got from Aldo Bruno.
I now have about 17 mostly small 1084 knives that are desperate for some heat treating. I am not interested in doing this step myself at this time, I just want to send them out to someone who knows what they are doing, with reasonable price and return times.

I didn't really know what I was doing starting out, so many of my knives are ground very thin at the edge. I'm worried about warping, so if there is anyone who has a magic touch for avoiding that, that would be awesome! Haha...

Anyway, I tried going through all the "sticky threads" here, but I only found like one HT guy who lists "carbon steels", that's Howard Clark, I emailed him but while I'm waiting to hear back it would be great to shop around and ask some questions, if anyone has any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance,
-Bryan

Is your last name Fry? It's a good name :)

Trugrit might do 1084. I'm pretty sure Texas Knifemaker Supply doesn't. Peters might as well, and they're economical for that many blades.

I'd try Peters first.

Haha... yeah Fry it is. Great name, I'll have to check out your makers mark to be sure I don't accidentally copy it! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.
Do you, (or anyone here) have any experience with any of those guys your self?

I've used Peters for about 50 CM154 blades. Excellent work, and Brad's a nice guy.

I've used Texas once. I've not used Trugrit, but a knifemaker named Jeff Mutz does their heat treating.

+1 on Peters Heat Treating. They've always done a great job for me.

Yeah, this is a good fit for Peter's HT. They're one of the best in the business, they do oil quench steels and 17 is big enough they're economical as well.

Hmmm... I'm afraid I'm still missing it. I've looked through that a few times now, and I still can't find anything about who to send out to. All I see is a brief mention that one CAN send them out, but not to whom.

Try again.

One more recommendation for Peter's. Turn around is relatively fast, price is good, and they definitely know what they're doing.

Checked it out, and Peter's HT sounds great!
Genuine help is much appreciated!

Back