Fishing, 2019

Mark Knapp

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I moved my fish house to a laker lake. And here's my first fish there.
Snapshot%202%20%281-28-2019%203-39%20PM%29.png

That's a good size !! How many pounds do you think?

As an aside, do you make filleting knives? I'd be interested to see what you use.

That's a good size !! How many pounds do you think?

As an aside, do you make filleting knives? I'd be interested to see what you use.

12-14 pounds. Yep, I make fillet knives.

A few days ago I noticed there was no Fishing 2019 thread and thought about starting one... then I realized I had not taken any pics of my catches this year! Oh well, I'm glad someone stepped up!... Here's a fat Bluegill from the other day I caught with my Dock Demon Deluxe!

fIaWDv0.jpg

When I got home from work last Thursday afternoon I was dragging ass after a 16 hours shift. The weather was unbelievable so after a shower and cold beer I decided to slip away for just a couple hours. Good thing I did, for me not for the trout. Got him on my favorite lure for spinning rod, 1/32 oz gold jig with a watermelon pearl Gulp Minnow.

We had some incredible weather here last week, so I took the day off work and snuck away for some time on the creek.

tRGEYmD.jpg

CteqdWi.jpg

What species are those? The first one especially looks like a Little Kern Golden Trout or perhaps a Kern River Rainbow, but you are not anywhere near their native range.

What species are those? The first one especially looks like a Little Kern Golden Trout or perhaps a Kern River Rainbow, but you are not anywhere near their native range.

Probably a steambred South Carolina rainbow. We have some very pretty fish in some drainages.

Those are both wild rainbows from the Pisgah Forest in NC.

JB in SC JB in SC we sure do have some great wild trout streams in SC if you're willing to get to them.

Those are both wild rainbows from the Pisgah Forest in NC.

JB in SC JB in SC we sure do have some great wild trout streams in SC if you're willing to get to them.

I caught my first trout on a fly in 1965. I fished a lot of small streams over the years in GA, SC, and NC. I really enjoyed it when I was younger and more agile.

Last edited:
Love all the trout pics! They are such nice looking fish!
Bruce

I've pretty much forsaken all other fishing besides mountain fly fishing. I love getting out in the middle of nowhere with nobody else around enjoying God's creation for a day and testing myself against those wily trout.

Last edited:
When I got home from work last Thursday afternoon I was dragging ass after a 16 hours shift. The weather was unbelievable so after a shower and cold beer I decided to slip away for just a couple hours. Good thing I did, for me not for the trout. Got him on my favorite lure for spinning rod, 1/32 oz gold jig with a watermelon pearl Gulp Minnow.
Is that a big Brookie, how big? It's pretty hard to tell the lakers from brookies when they get big and the tail is altered.

Is that a big Brookie, how big? It's pretty hard to tell the lakers from brookies when they get big and the tail is altered.
It's a Brookie. I caught him in a delayed harvest stretch of state trout water so it may have been in the stream a year or a few weeks. I seldom keep fish but my wife asked me to bring a few home for dinner. The fillets had a wonderful color similar to salmon. My friends had a fit when I told them we ate him and didn't bother with applying for a citation.

It's a Brookie. I caught him in a delayed harvest stretch of state trout water so it may have been in the stream a year or a few weeks. I seldom keep fish but my wife asked me to bring a few home for dinner. The fillets had a wonderful color similar to salmon. My friends had a fit when I told them we ate him and didn't bother with applying for a citation.

Nice, how big?

Don't think I've ever seen a white perch. Are they as good eating as the yellow perch? Where are they? Nice fish.

Back