Fishing, and hunting reports (share yours)

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Brian77, Jul 17, 2017.

1. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I believe it's striped bass and white bass mix. I'm not 100% sure though. I just know we catch hundreds of them at a time!

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  2. ManOfSteel89

ManOfSteel89 Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2012
    Sure will. Those LeverEvolutions are NASTY!

91bravo likes this.
  3. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    Yes, they are very nasty! Very frangible, which is devastating on medium game. For thick skinned dangerous game like grizzly, I'd load solid cast heavy bullets, preferably 400+ grains!

4. ManOfSteel89

ManOfSteel89 Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2012
    I got some 400gr bear loads for that :thumbsup:

91bravo likes this.
  5. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Man I like seeing different fish from across the country, especially stuff like that since it's unfamiliar to me. Do they get any bigger, or are they a nuisance? It seems like they would eat good if they get some size to them.

NJBillK and 91bravo like this.
  6. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    We've caught them up to a pound average size. I just found out that they are also called Wipers. Cross between White Bass and Striped Bass. They come up into the shallows to spawn and are abundant to catch!

grogimus and Hard Knocks like this.
  7. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012

Well shoot, learn something new every day. Now that you say it, I do remember people referring to them. One-pounders sound big enough to eat :) Thank you very much for the info bravo.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    91bravo likes this.
  8. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    Here's a couple of pictures from time out in the hills a couple weeks ago.

A few head of bulls in velvet. I'm thinking we should be getting close to seeing some rubs start to show up.

[​IMG]

And here's a picture of a bear that came out kinda cool. He was way up on the hill, so I had my boy hold the 10x binoculars and took this picture through them with my cell phone! It was HARD to get things lined up, and the bad optics warped the image, but it gave it a neat effect :)

[​IMG]

9. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    They're not good eating fish at all. Very bony and greasy, equivalent to that black stripe down the side of a Striped Bass. This is what they look like up close.
    [​IMG]

Crappie on the other hand, is the good eating fish! They don't call it sweet meat for nothing! It you can catch a dozen or so pounders of Crappies, you have a meal for about 4 people!
    [​IMG]

10. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    Man, I would love to get out west someday. I've always dreamed of an opportunity to bowhunt some Elk or Mulies!

11. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
  12. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    Crappie are great, about my favorite! Or big yellow perch. Or big bluegill :) It's too bad those wipers aren't good eating, I just assumed they would be, coming from the parent fish.

[​IMG]

Some good hunting for both out here, a little better for elk. Our whitetails aren't as good as elsewhere though.

BIGDORK and 91bravo like this.
  13. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    Nice haul! Those Perch surely are good eating too.

Who needs Whitetail when you have Elk and Mule deer!

14. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    Lol, you make a good point! I do love hunting the sneaky little devils though :D

91bravo likes this.
  15. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    Them deer are all cousins somehow. I love hunting in general and tend to hunt whatever is in season, when I'm not fishing or doing other stuff.

MarriedTheMedic and Hard Knocks like this.
  16. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    That's me right there too. Luckily there's something open out here somewhere about all year.

91bravo and Brian77 like this.
  17. Brian77

Brian77 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2014
    That's cool. We will be fishing out of Oregon Inlet in September. Can't wait. I would love to try the fresh water fishing you mention here.

Yes, I usually do it exactly as you described. The mate did them all this way first. And then laid them out skin side down and ran that fillet knife under the meat like a flash. The fillet barely moved. And the skin was just skin, it had no meat on it. It was so flexible that he had it curved pretty hard with down pressure and that seemed to hold the skin against the cutting table. It was slick to watch.

Love those pictures. Thanks. It's beautiful in that country. We used to own a small property near Butte Montana. Never got to live there though. Always wanted to do that.

Hard Knocks and 91bravo like this.
  18. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    I'm thinking I'd need way more practice to pull that off! Thanks for the explanation :thumbsup:

19. jackal_727

jackal_727

Aug 25, 2010
    Hey Bravo, I believe what you're catching is yellow bass. Here's a link to an article about the species.
    http://www.outdoorchannel.com/article.aspx?id=28887

Brian77 likes this.
  20. Brian77

Brian77 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Interesting, we have hybrid bass here in the Lake of the Ozarks, and they do not look like these pictured. I wondered what they could be. Our hybrids get much bigger.