Fishing, and hunting reports (share yours)

I believe it's striped bass and white bass mix. I'm not 100% sure though. I just know we catch hundreds of them at a time!

Man I like seeing different fish from across the country, especially stuff like that since it's unfamiliar to me. Do they get any bigger, or are they a nuisance? It seems like they would eat good if they get some size to them.

We've caught them up to a pound average size. I just found out that they are also called Wipers. Cross between White Bass and Striped Bass. They come up into the shallows to spawn and are abundant to catch!

We've caught them up to a pound average size. I just found out that they are also called Wipers. Cross between White Bass and Striped Bass. They come up into the shallows to spawn and are abundant to catch!

Well shoot, learn something new every day. Now that you say it, I do remember people referring to them. One-pounders sound big enough to eat :) Thank you very much for the info bravo.

Last edited:
Here's a couple of pictures from time out in the hills a couple weeks ago.

A few head of bulls in velvet. I'm thinking we should be getting close to seeing some rubs start to show up.

zcW6Vf5.jpg

And here's a picture of a bear that came out kinda cool. He was way up on the hill, so I had my boy hold the 10x binoculars and took this picture through them with my cell phone! It was HARD to get things lined up, and the bad optics warped the image, but it gave it a neat effect :)

9NPSZld.jpg

Well shoot, learn something new every day. Now that you say it, I do remember people referring to them. One-pounders sound big enough to eat :) Thank you very much for the info bravo.

They're not good eating fish at all. Very bony and greasy, equivalent to that black stripe down the side of a Striped Bass. This is what they look like up close.
DSC02348_zps4f735596.jpg

Crappie on the other hand, is the good eating fish! They don't call it sweet meat for nothing! It you can catch a dozen or so pounders of Crappies, you have a meal for about 4 people!
DSC06211_zpsf4e3f106.jpg

A few head of bulls in velvet. I'm thinking we should be getting close to seeing some rubs start to show up.

zcW6Vf5.jpg

And here's a picture of a bear that came out kinda cool. He was way up on the hill, so I had my boy hold the 10x binoculars and took this picture through them with my cell phone! It was HARD to get things lined up, and the bad optics warped the image, but it gave it a neat effect :)

9NPSZld.jpg

Man, I would love to get out west someday. I've always dreamed of an opportunity to bowhunt some Elk or Mulies!

Crappie on the other hand, is the good eating fish! They don't call it sweet meat for nothing! It you can catch a dozen or so pounders of Crappies, you have a meal for about 4 people!

Crappie are great, about my favorite! Or big yellow perch. Or big bluegill :) It's too bad those wipers aren't good eating, I just assumed they would be, coming from the parent fish.

EHp9yKkh.jpg

Man, I would love to get out west someday. I've always dreamed of an opportunity to bowhunt some Elk or Mulies!

Some good hunting for both out here, a little better for elk. Our whitetails aren't as good as elsewhere though.

Crappie are great, about my favorite! Or big yellow perch. Or big bluegill :) It's too bad those wipers aren't good eating, I just assumed they would be, coming from the parent fish.

EHp9yKkh.jpg

Some good hunting for both out here, a little better for elk. Our whitetails aren't as good as elsewhere though.

Nice haul! Those Perch surely are good eating too.

Who needs Whitetail when you have Elk and Mule deer!

My last trip to NC gave me plenty of bass action as NC always does for us.

View attachment 736367

That's cool. We will be fishing out of Oregon Inlet in September. Can't wait. I would love to try the fresh water fishing you mention here.

When I scrolled back through here I noticed in this picture that those filets still have the skin on one side. I'm curious, did you notice what the guy running the knife did to finish them up? If there's a trick there that I haven't seen, I'd like to know it, and I'm thinking a guy with that much use on a filet knife knows what he's doing.

I've always tried to avoid taking them all the way off because the dang things are so hard to hold onto! But I'm sure someone who has a knife that looks like that must have a system down.

Yes, I usually do it exactly as you described. The mate did them all this way first. And then laid them out skin side down and ran that fillet knife under the meat like a flash. The fillet barely moved. And the skin was just skin, it had no meat on it. It was so flexible that he had it curved pretty hard with down pressure and that seemed to hold the skin against the cutting table. It was slick to watch.

zcW6Vf5.jpg

9NPSZld.jpg

Love those pictures. Thanks. It's beautiful in that country. We used to own a small property near Butte Montana. Never got to live there though. Always wanted to do that.

Yes, I usually do it exactly as you described. The mate did them all this way first. And then laid them out skin side down and ran that fillet knife under the meat like a flash. The fillet barely moved. And the skin was just skin, it had no meat on it. It was so flexible that he had it curved pretty hard with down pressure and that seemed to hold the skin against the cutting table. It was slick to watch.

I'm thinking I'd need way more practice to pull that off! Thanks for the explanation :thumbsup:

They're not good eating fish at all. Very bony and greasy, equivalent to that black stripe down the side of a Striped Bass. This is what they look like up close.
DSC02348_zps4f735596.jpg

DSC06211_zpsf4e3f106.jpg
Hey Bravo, I believe what you're catching is yellow bass. Here's a link to an article about the species.
http://www.outdoorchannel.com/article.aspx?id=28887

Back