Fishing thread

figured this would be a cool thread to post fish pictures or just talk about fishing in general.

I recently got into fly fishing for carp and bass mostly carp though and it’s a blast. And most importantly way cheaper than a lot of people make it out to be.
E1E31A17-8F14-4870-9E0E-980B705F6388.jpeg

I haven’t fished since my kids were little, I keep thinking I should give it another try, but something always comes up.
I used to fish with B JACKSON years ago.

Yeah it’s been forever since I fished then cabelas had fly fishing stuff on sale, and I had always wanted to try it so figured it was best to buy everything on sale. Then it took me about a month to catch my first fish but I’m getting a lil better each time definitely a learning curve.

I can still remember a fishing trip my great uncle took me on when I was around 13. We went to Long Lake in Wisconsin. He taught me to fly fish for bluegill, that was fun.

My brother moved to North Carolina a few years ago, and we’ve been having a blast on the smaller wild trout streams in the mountains. Most of my trout fishing experience has been on Arkansas tailwaters where there are some monster trout. These little wild streams and a short, light fly rod are so much more fun.
Lvd00u2.jpg

J1Q28fL.jpg

Vfu8Fl2.jpg

Well, no pics so it probably din't happen, but took my little jon boat to Kankakee River this AM. Got a 4lb Channel cat, a 12" channel cat and one foot long smallmouth. Left when the heat index hit 102
The bigger Catfish left with me and is now filleted and awaits the grill this evening.
Fun time....river very empty of people!

I love fly fishing too! I really love fly fishing for brim (or bluegill, depending on where you're from)! That was a beautiful bluegill rdrogers! Yes sir, I love eatin' bluegill and crappie! A big old fish fry, with a mess of bluegill, and crappie, hush puppies, onion rings, cold slaw, and some good old home made Mac and cheese, and sweetened sun tea! Oh my goodness! Look out, I'm coming through! LOL! Don't that sound good boy's? Darn, now I done made myself hungry! Later!

figured this would be a cool thread to post fish pictures or just talk about fishing in general.

I recently got into fly fishing for carp and bass mostly carp though and it’s a blast. And most importantly way cheaper than a lot of people make it out to be.
View attachment 1164236
I have to ask, I am not a fisherman, are the carp fun to catch and release or does anyone actually eat carp? See a lot of carp at the lake we visit, Lake Gaston.

I have to ask, I am not a fisherman, are the carp fun to catch and release or does anyone actually eat carp? See a lot of carp at the lake we visit, Lake Gaston.

Typically, they're released. In most other countries Carp is a sport fish and are eaten. Depending on where you're fishing, you'll see people keeping them.

They are fun to catch. If given a choice, I'd eat fresh caught Carp before farm raised Tilapia.

I know some people that eat carp and say it’s actually pretty good, but in terms of fun to catch they are a blast and on the fly rod they can take all your line in a couple of seconds. Very very fun fish to catch wether it’s on the fly or using dough bait.

Carp are actually a good challenge, can be a bit finicky on the bite and once you have them on fight like craazy. Go flyrod or light tackle and they are world class fun. I've never eaten one but I mostly fished them in a little creek through town that I wouldn't eat anything out of.

Thanks for the thoughts on carp. Jumping carp shot gun shoots sounds interesting. Do they jump high enough that you don't shoot the water or blow a hole in your boat? :D:p

Thanks for the thoughts on carp. Jumping carp shot gun shoots sounds interesting. Do they jump high enough that you don't shoot the water or blow a hole in your boat? :D:p

The Asian carp (invasive species) can probably get six feet out of the water on a good day.

Here's a video by some of our local thrill seekers.

Back