Fishing

JK Knives

Let's see some pictures from your fishing trips, extra points if there is a JK knife in the photos!
I keep thinking I should start fishing again, give me some motivation.

Not sure if I posted this here before or not and sadly no JK but there is a fish and my son:D The pic is from last June taken on Avalon Pier in Kill Devil Hills NC. We had been catching a lot of smallish speckled trout for a couple of days. I had a gift certificate for the local tackle shop so I bought a light rod to make the trout more sporting. Making a long story short I caught not only trout but 3 puppy drum. They were all the little rod could handle. Best part is a friend of mine who lives there was very loudly talking about "a damn Virginia boy catching all the fish" since I was the only one who caught anything other than small trout.

It was too cold to work around the house today so I slipped away for an hour or so to fish downstream of the local lake. I caught a few smaller trout and one brown that was over 2 lbs. I took a pic but it didn't turn out too good. I had my fishing rod in one hand, cel-phone in the other, and was trying to calm my dog while I took the pic. I love moments like that.

I fished less last year than I probably have in 25 years. I haven't been able to go so far this year either but that will change soon. I'll try to add some pictures if there's anything worth adding.

IMG_2965.png
IMG_0742.jpg

I used to fish constantly, even carried my ice fishing gear in the trunk of my car for a quick outing on the way home from work. Over the past few years, I have slowed down quite a bit. For the last two years, the only fishing I've done has been in southern Illinois at a friend's property.

He bought the land a few years back. He has 80 acres with three spring fed lakes. He built a beautiful barn home on it, which is spectacular.

The lakes are awesome as well and really spoil you. If you go more than 10 minutes without a fish it seems like forever. The fish in the pic is typical and we've caught literally hundreds in a weekend. The biggest fish anyone's caught there so far was pushing 11#. My personal best was almost 7#.

We have an incredible time every trip and it is one of the things I most look forward to every year.

Nice fish! It's good having friends in the right places. One of mine owned a trout hatchery and private steam for several years. The fishing spoiled me. Those bass would be a blast on a fly rod and popping bugs.

The 3 of us have spent most of our long weekend indoors. Thomas carried a nasty respiratory virus home from school and shared it with us. When the sun came out this afternoon I couldn't take it any longer. I loaded them up and headed to the lake. The conditions were good and we caught several small trout. I love how excited he gets winding a fish in.

Back