Fiskars vs. Gerber

So ive been looking around and i have noticed the fiskars hatchets are a lot cheaper than the gerber ones. They look very similar to me except for the orange on the handle and the price. I was wondering if any body has both and can compare the two? are people paying extra just for the gerber name?

Im not a fan of either of their axes but I own a fiskars hatchet and its good

if you do a forum search for fiskars you can find out all the info

and I believe Fiskars makes the hatchets and axes for Gerber

the one complaint I have is the metal is soft and dings real easy, unlike the metal I have on the GB

my .02

Fiskars owns Gerber.
The only difference is handle color.

What he said. The Gerbers usually come with a sheath that, while not exceptional, is functional. There's also the ultra-handy 18" Gerber, which doesn't have a Fiskars-branded twin.

Fiskars owns Gerber.
The only difference is handle color.

This.

. . .the one complaint I have is the metal is soft and dings real easy, unlike the metal I have on the GB

my .02

And this, though I wouldn't blame it on soft steel - just crummy steel and poor QC. I've heard just as many reports of chipping as I have of dinging... I personally haven't had one chip out, but the one I had experience with certainly dinged easily...

Thanks for the info.
I know that fiskars owns gerber. And I also noticed that not all gerber models are available with the fiskars name and price. Anybody tried the fiskars spliting axes?

I have the Fiskars pro splitting axe. It works well if you want to split wood for a campfire. Because of its light weight, it's not as efficient as a good splitting maul, IMO.

Thanks for the info.
I know that fiskars owns gerber. And I also noticed that not all gerber models are available with the fiskars name and price. Anybody tried the fiskars spliting axes?

I use one and love it. I split a bunch of red oak this year and it makes fast work of it. I split some maple and had to slow down my swing it was blasting through so good.

I have a pic somewhere of it. I have seen it happen several times. Wood will work it's way under the edge of the handle, where it wraps around the bit. It eventually chips the handle away. You can't rehandle them. I vastly prefer my Husqvarna wildlife hatchet... Made by Wetterling, IMO, way better fit and finish... I would not be surprised if they are made in the GB factory. GB owns Wetterling.
The 10" mini Wetterling is on the left, Husky on right.
IMG_4326.jpg

Geometry of hatchets is different also. Husky has a thinner geometry. I prefer the chip throwing geometry of the Hucky...
IMG_4327.jpg

The fiskars that are made in sweden are much better than the ones made in Taiwan....

I own both a gerber and a fiskars. the fiskars handle broke but i did like the edge better than that of the gerber. but overall i didn't really like either. I want to get a wetterlings

Thanks for the info.

Yes.
I have a couple long handled Fiskars splitting axes. The Pro Splitting Axe 7859 with a 28" handle and 2.5lb head along with the brand new Fiskars x27 with the 4.5lb head and 36" handle.

They are both excellent at busting wood. They are different, so I don't view them as having two of the same tools.

The longer x27 does the heavier work, while the shorter pro splitting axe splits the easier stuff. Let's face it, not every round requires a heavy blow to split and therefore, you'll wear yourself out if you swing a big, heavy 8lb maul (too much wasted energy). Likewise, don't expect the lighter axe to split everything.

So, they are both excellent for what they are designed to do. I especially like the unbreakable handles and lifetime warranty (figure that'll pay for itself in a few years from not having to replace broken handles).

Yes.
I have a couple long handled Fiskars splitting axes. The Pro Splitting Axe 7859 with a 28" handle and 2.5lb head along with the brand new Fiskars x27 with the 4.5lb head and 36" handle.

They are both excellent at busting wood. They are different, so I don't view them as having two of the same tools.

The longer x27 does the heavier work, while the shorter pro splitting axe splits the easier stuff. Let's face it, not every round requires a heavy blow to split and therefore, you'll wear yourself out if you swing a big, heavy 8lb maul (too much wasted energy). Likewise, don't expect the lighter axe to split everything.

So, they are both excellent for what they are designed to do. I especially like the unbreakable handles and lifetime warranty (figure that'll pay for itself in a few years from not having to replace broken handles).

The handles are NOT indestructible, I had a 28in. pro chopper's handle
fracture several inches below the head, I don't know what happened, but
it had been under my brother's care at the time, he must of handled it
for all of ten minutes. I did not feel like dealing with the thing, I just thew
it away. Since then the only new axes I buy are Gransfors Bruks.

The handles are NOT indestructible, I had a 28in. pro chopper's handle
fracture several inches below the head, I don't know what happened, but
it had been under my brother's care at the time, he must of handled it
for all of ten minutes. I did not feel like dealing with the thing, I just thew
it away. Since then the only new axes I buy are Gransfors Bruks.

Well, OK. You are correct. Nothing is indestructible (including Gransfors Bruks).

Certainly you do know that when the GB handle breaks, you'll have to "deal" with it...right? Not saying the GB isn't a quality tool (probably the highest quality tool out there) but it does have a hickory handle and those do break every now and again.

Man, I wish I was dumpster diving when you tossed that Fiskars. :)

Well, OK. You are correct. Nothing is indestructible (including Gransfors Bruks).

Certainly you do know that when the GB handle breaks, you'll have to "deal" with it...right? Not saying the GB isn't a quality tool (probably the highest quality tool out there) but it does have a hickory handle and those do break every now and again.

Man, I wish I was dumpster diving when you tossed that Fiskars. :)

Well, at least I can replace the handle on my GBs, I spent a good while trying to think up away with the Fiskars.:confused: I think I have the head around here somewhere....(You do know that you cannot replace the handle on a Fiskars.....right?)
I know how companies are with some policies and they try to make it look you did something which voids the warranty, it is just to make sure people are not taking advantage of their system, I get that.

Some things are just not worth my time.

Back