Fitness books?

I have access to a great rec facility here at school and would like to take advantage of it the best I can. Prior to coming here I did all my workouts using gravity and body weight. The rec center has everything a large gym would have. I feel somewhat comfortable with my routine as it is but I think I could due more in the way of strength training. I workout every other day starting with sets of diff abs, pushups and pullups. Then 2-5 mile run depending on soreness and aching, and I finish with stairs and/or wall sits. It's basically what I did to train for soccer.

So my question is, for Mr. Caracci or anyone else, are there any books that help me create a routine? I remember hearing of an SAS fitness manual, is that worth checkin out? I'm looking to develop high physical endurance and practical upper and lower body strength. I'm not interested in creating muscle mass just for the sake of looking bigger. I want my training to be useful. I appreciate any suggestions you guys have.

Jeff

powerlifting usa mag is a great source for training tips if ya wanna get STRONG not cut up - musclemag intl is good too, much better than any weider pub imho - its not that hard, there really isnt anything THATnew/revolutionary in the strength game, all about weights and hard work and proper form, nutrition, off days, etc - do that(make up a reasonable training regimen) and incorporate some running/biking/walking 3-5 times a week, and ya are on your way imho, if ya belong to a gym, SOME guys there, once ya get to know them can be of great help (once they figure out ya are serious, and not waisting there time)

sifu

If you are after a routine that is based on what the British Army recommends with sections on the fitness requirements of the SAS and PARA then try this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0752805894/ref=pd_sim_b_dp/026-4965024-7681267

I know that this is pointing to the Amazon UK website, but you should be able to get the book from Amazon UK. This book goes through the basic fitnes levels required for the Army and provides a routine to achive and maintain them. Best of all it does not cost much money!

The Chris Ryan SAS fitness book is CR*P - I have a copy and wish that I had spent the money on smething else (Beer?). The book appears to have been rushed to market - maybe the second editon will be better.

The Barry Davies, SAS Fitnes book is a good general introduction to fitness with a few specifics thrown in but I would not recommend it.

I hope these recommendations are of use.

Regards,

Ed

Hi Jeff,
In answer to your question and quest I will try to be a curt as possible.

Fact: The ability to be able to run lets say 10 miles consistently and be *strong* meaning like powerlifting strong is for 99.99% of us impossible

What you have to do is determine what kind of performance you are looking for and learn how to train to achieve that.

I have taught strength for a while and am certified as such, so just bear with moe for a second and I will explain the way the human body reacts to physical demand, or its *Adaptive response* as it is formally known.

"And man was created equal" sorry this just isnt so! :)

Our muscles are made up of 2 different main fibers. These are called white and red fibers. White fibers are also known as 'Fast twitch' and the red fibers are known as 'Slow twitch'

White fibers have theses properties.

a: Powerful (meaning they have good starting strength and explolsive strength)
b: Mildly resistant to exercise induced trauma (ie. they damage quite easily)
c: Mildly resistant to exercise induced fatigue (ie. they get tired quite readliy)

Red fibers have these properties:

a: No very powerful (in fact not powerful at all)
b: Very resistant to exercise induced trauma (meaning they are bomb proof)
c: very resistant to exercise induced fatigue (ie. they are like Duracell's, they keep going on and on and on!

Now, back to mortal man.

Your body will be made up of a ratio of these red and white fibers. This is hard wired in, so no grunting and groaning and infomercial products are going to change it. :)

So, first and foremost on your 'To do' list should be to determine what your particular ratios are.

However! And this is the tricky bit. You may skew the results due to previous imporper training and the adaptive response that you have forged that, while it has given you 'positive' results it has most likely given you results that do not accuratly reflect your genetic potential.

This is going to be wayyyyy tooooo long for this message board so if you want to contact me personally I will go into much more depth.

But here is an analogy to chew on

You wouldnt expect a bulldozer to win a race and likewise you wouldnt expect a racing car to be able to pull down a tree. They both have lots of *strengt* but different ways of displaying it, same with the human body

Sprinters can run upto 400m very well but they have zero aerobic stamina as they are anaerobic athletes. Long distant runners can go for miles upon miles but dont have any 'starting strength'.
Put simply an anaerobic athlete will out start and accelerate a distance runner any day of the week but for only a short time. The reason is due to their ratios or red and white fibers.

Sorry for the length of this

My offer for help is extended to any others who are interested in *Practical strength*

Back