3. Case Trapper
4. Emerson CQC 7b
5. Leatherman Charge

1. Spyderco Native (S110V)
2. Victorinox Manager
3. Victorinox Explorer Plus
4. Spyderco Spydiechef
5. A.G. Russell Medium Gents Folding Hunter

... I think the idea behind the multitool exclusion is that they are a separate category, and therefore would get their own list.

I didn't exclude the multi-tool option. I figured because mine has a folding blade I could count it as a folder.

I wonder how many people would make any changes to their list of five folders if they were allowed to add a fixed blade as a sixth knife.

Since it's been narrowed down to folders, the list is easy...

1. Manix 2
2. Manix 2
3. Manix 2
4. Manix 2
5. Manix 2

It's been in my pocket 85% of the time for the last few years anyway.
I've got to get a manix 2

Okay, I'll play.

Since these are going to be with me the rest of my life, they better be damn special. So.

1) Extrema Ratio RAO. What am I going to do with something that big and impractical? Whatever I need to do.
2) A Demko custom. Right around 3" blade, with the original Demko Lock. Does he still do that? Well, not the original , original, but, you get the idea.
3) Laconico Jasmine. Enough said.

Hmm. I'm going to have to think about 4 and 5. Those three cover my "needs" pretty well, and they're extravagant enough that I (probably) wouldn't feel the need for other knives.

My Alox and my Skeletool don't count, because they're not knives, they're multi tools. At least, that's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

I wonder how many people would make any changes to their list of five folders if they were allowed to add a fixed blade as a sixth knife.
I tend to take things literally, and the opening post doesn't say these have to be our only bladed tools... it just says that we have to limit ourselves to five folding knives. I may well be incorrect in that interpretation; and perhaps part of my rationale is self-serving as I prefer fixed blades, and would never consider owning five folders and no fixed blades. I carry and use folders partly for the convenience, though the main reason is because I can't wear a fixed blade everywhere I go.

Mine has to be these three:

-Shiro F95T in Vanax 37 (this would be my one-knife-for-life knife, if I had to pick. And it would be an easy pick).
-Gayle Bradley 2
-PM2 in M4 and CF scales.

Two at-large bids would be:
-CRK Umnumzaan
-Manix 2 in Maxamet or M4 (never owned one, but this is next on my must have list)

I tend to take things literally, and the opening post doesn't say these have to be our only bladed tools... it just says that we have to limit ourselves to five folding knives. I may well be incorrect in that interpretation; and perhaps part of my rationale is self-serving as I prefer fixed blades, and would never consider owning five folders and no fixed blades. I carry and use folders partly for the convenience, though the main reason is because I can't wear a fixed blade everywhere I go.

Rest assured sir, your interpretation is entirely correct.

But that’s not fair to ask for 5 folders. There are seven days in a week.

If you want, you can give two alternates to make up a full week's carry.

If fixed blades don't count, pick any folder you want and I'd be fine. Doesn't matter one iota.

I don't think I carry more than 2-3 folders anyway, and I could easily pare that down to one and be fine.

Well, I just made a similar decision. I need to ship most of my stuff home and decided to only keep six folders for my last 6 months here in Afghanistan (it would do well enough for the "rest of my life" as depressing as that sounds:(). Fortunately this choice isn't for the rest of my life, just the next six months:D

Cold Steel Max 4 (Abuse taker-folder)
Emerson CQC-8 (defensive blade)
Spyderco Hundred-Pacer (outdoors/hunting/skinning blade)
Benchmade Arcane Flipper (my "gentleman's knife)
Spyderco Para-Mil (backpacking blade)

I'm keeping six here, which is whey I have the ProTech Magic 2 Whiskers...another top notch folder and while larger than most gentlemen's' blades, it would fit that role quite well for me (I just like the left pocket clip of the Arcane).

ROCK6

1. CRK Large Sebenza 21
2. CRK Small Inkosi
3. Spyderco para-military 2 (choosing the steel variation will be tough ;))
4. ...
5. Victorinox spartan

Not sure for #4
I think I havn’t found it yet
I will have to try new knives un the future ;)

If we can include fixed blades:

1. Curtiss F3 Medium Wharnie w/ Damasteel (gets the most overall pocket time for EDC)
2. Kikuichi Warikomi Tsuchime Gyuto 8" (use more than anything else due to cooking)
3. Chris Reeve Mnandi in Macassar Ebony w/ DT Basketweave Damascus (carried for my wedding and the ultimate gents folder)
4. Bark River Ultralight Bushcrafter (can do anything I need in the woods or SHTF besides an axe)
5. Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe (can do anything I need in the woods or SHTF besides Bushcrafter above)

Fallkniven F2 - for just everything about food prep
Boker Tech tool 2 - my mostly used pocket knife.
Mora Companion Sandvik - My go to saltwater fishing knife
Bar River Bravo 1 - Woods/Outdoor knife
Enzo Necker - My list can't be complete without a small fixed blade

That's it. I didn't put high end folder because as much as I like them, I find I use them much less than any of knives on the list.

EDIT: OH, folders only?!?! I have to redo my list

As I'm not a folder guy, this is a bit hard for me, but:

-Boker Tech tool 2: As already stated, my most used pocket knife
-Spyderco Pacific Salt H1 plain blade - not fan of a soft H1 but can not imagine any other folder dealing with salt water abuse.
-Spyderco Endura flat VG10: Food prep. I don't own this knife any more but I think It would be very capable fot rhe task
-One heavy duty folder for outdoor use , Cold steel 4-max??
-a SAK

Last edited:
Back