Fixed blade for field dressing/breaking bone.

Sigsog226

Gold Member
Hey everybody, this is a question a co worker of mine ask me, but thought some of you all would know better then me.

Hes been really into deer hunting the last few years and he said when he is dressing a deer, he needs a really strong beefy knife to break through the pelvic bone. A buddy of his has a kabar usmc and he ask me if that was the best choice for something like that.

I told him i think that would be a good choice for that and skinning both, and also pointed him to beckers (bk7 to be exact). Ive only skinned a deer once and its been awhile since i have, so im no expert on subject.

Anyway, told him i would run it by my knife buddies and see what they would suggest. Hes dead set on a fixed blade though, i also recommended a hatchet/axe, but he doesnt want to carry one out there. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I don't break any bone when dealing with deer. I just debone the meat while hanging.

I do saw the front legs. I've been thinking a hatchet and a flat wood surface would be better.

I use a piece of hacksaw blade with a duct tape handle for this, but they make special saws for this with a plastic nub on the end to avoid bladder puncture. A wire Gigli saw with detachable handles also works well.

Anything I'd willing wail on bone with (like a khukri) is not something I'd process a deer or elk with.

Cutting through the suture joint of the pelvic arch on a game animal is ill-advised. No one I know who has experience in the field does this. It accomplishes nothing except to expose the operator to harm and the knife to abuse and damage. There is nothing of value inside the pelvic cavity to warrant access. A slender blade gently relieves the colon column at the anus, if desired, although not necessary. At this point those tissues are pulled forward and out and away with the rest of the entrails. I saw my father break a blade on a knife once a half century ago trying this useless procedure. Then I cut myself on a sharp edge of pelvic bone soon after. But I did learn and I am offering my lesson to you.

If you are talking about Beckers, you are not talking about Traditional Knives.

Let's try this in the Hunting & Fishing forum...

Yeah i didnt really grasp his method 100% but it sounds like what you just described tongueriver. I dont remember doing anything like that when i skinned mine. Nor would i, for the same reasons you just desribed.

Hes way to stubborn to think there is any better way. He ask me for knife suggestions, so that what i gave him.

And thanks for moving this thread to H&F knarfeng. Not about beckers though, just any fixed blade that could handle that kind of abuse the best.

......he needs a really strong beefy knife to break through the pelvic bone......Hes dead set on a fixed blade......i also recommended a hatchet/axe, but he doesnt want to carry one out there........Hes way to stubborn to think there is any better way. He ask me for knife suggestions, so that what i gave him.

Hello sir. I'll try to take a stab at this (sorry for the pun :) ). Although I don't break the pelvis on deer or elk any more, I was taught to do it that way when I was young. I've used everything from a fixed blade knife to a Gerber folding saw to a wire saw that inserts under the bone to a hatchet. Then, because that's the way I knew how to do it, continued to gut animals in that manner later on into adult life. After much experience, I agree with the above sentiment that it is better to learn to gut an animal in the field by leaving the pelvis unbroken. It is safer, faster, and holds less risk of busting the bladder. It is also easier on equipment and doesn't require the use of anything beyond your hunting knife to get the job done.

Having said that, I see that you are asking what knife would work, not for a lesson on how to do it otherwise. My father still insists on breaking the pelvis when we hunt together, or more correctly that I do while he supervises me gutting his deer for him :D (He's 79 and still rolls out for almost every hunt :) ), so I understand the sentiment you expressed above "He's way to stubborn to think there is any better way."

If I were going to grab one knife to do this at this point in my life, it would be Nathan Carothers Field Knife in 3V. They're not easy to get ahold of, and they're not cheap, but they are an excellent tool.

He could also go with many of the Busse blades in INFI. I don't have a Boss Jack, but I'd bet it would be great for this particular task.

Most all of the Survive Knives GSOs in 3V would work, something like the GSO 4.1, 4.7 or 6. I'd suggest he pick one up on the secondary market and pay the premium right now if he likes these.

Most everything I suggested here is going to cost $200 to $350, and there are definitely other blades out there that will work for less money. But I believe the ones I listed will work for years to come with much less risk of damage when pounded through a pelvis. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

I have used a Bahco saw to cut the pelvis. Not really worth the time IMO, as the only reason I can think to do it is to save a few ounces of meat after aging. I usually age my meat and cut the dried meat rind off leaving the inner portion to be processed. The dried meat off the rind makes great dog treats.

Hello sir. I'll try to take a stab at this (sorry for the pun :) ). Although I don't break the pelvis on deer or elk any more, I was taught to do it that way when I was young. I've used everything from a fixed blade knife to a Gerber folding saw to a wire saw that inserts under the bone to a hatchet. Then, because that's the way I knew how to do it, continued to gut animals in that manner later on into adult life. After much experience, I agree with the above sentiment that it is better to learn to gut an animal in the field by leaving the pelvis unbroken. It is safer, faster, and holds less risk of busting the bladder. It is also easier on equipment and doesn't require the use of anything beyond your hunting knife to get the job done.

Having said that, I see that you are asking what knife would work, not for a lesson on how to do it otherwise. My father still insists on breaking the pelvis when we hunt together, or more correctly that I do while he supervises me gutting his deer for him :D (He's 79 and still rolls out for almost every hunt :) ), so I understand the sentiment you expressed above "He's way to stubborn to think there is any better way."

If I were going to grab one knife to do this at this point in my life, it would be Nathan Carothers Field Knife in 3V. They're not easy to get ahold of, and they're not cheap, but they are an excellent tool.

He could also go with many of the Busse blades in INFI. I don't have a Boss Jack, but I'd bet it would be great for this particular task.

Most all of the Survive Knives GSOs in 3V would work, something like the GSO 4.1, 4.7 or 6. I'd suggest he pick one up on the secondary market and pay the premium right now if he likes these.

Most everything I suggested here is going to cost $200 to $350, and there are definitely other blades out there that will work for less money. But I believe the ones I listed will work for years to come with much less risk of damage when pounded through a pelvis. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Yeah the Field Knife in 3V will tolerate that as will Guy's 3V knives and probably any Busse knife too, but personally I don't see the purpose of splitting the pelvis.

I cut around the anus and reproductive bits (from the outside) and pull it out a little ways and tie it off with string, then when it's time to open the belly I simply reach up into the pelvis with a slender skinning knife (not wide, all the belly at the tip) disconnect all the bits where they're anchored and pull it all down. No mess, no fuss. If so inclined you can have an esophagus connected to an anus with all the bits in-between undisturbed. A super thin light knife is nice to use for this sort of work. This is also a good argument for not having a "gut hook" on a skinning knife, the additional bulk is a drag.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys! Ill definitely pass it all along. As long i throw the different ideas in his head, he might think about them come next season. And ive learned alot more about skinning game then i thought i would in the last few days :)

I guide a little and process 6-8 bucks and a similar number of boars each year.

I use a small fixed blade (Chris Reeve Pro Soldier) or a Spyderco folder. I don't cut the pelvic bone in the field, but I sometimes do cut the entire breast when gutting.

With a smaller deer or boar I just use the same knife I use for skinning. Sometimes I use a larger fixed blade to cut through the breast.

In addition to the CRK Pro Soldier, I carry a serrated Spyderco CO3S Hunter or Endura, a big cheap Gerber fixed blade, and a Wyoming Saw II

Last season I started using this little kershaw and kind of like it.

attachment.php

View attachment 684042

Mini tree loppers are the best if you have to split the pelvis. $20 at depot and they take less effort with more safety than any blade. They also work great for removing the head and spine.

A small folding saw I use for cutting sternum, pelvis or other bones .Sometimes an old knife I can hammer through a bone .IIRC a deer's leg bones are 7 times denser than a cows ! That's why deer jump and cows don't !!

We once had a rather small cow, named "June", here on our place in Texas. That one could jump a 5-strand barbwire fence like it wasn't even there! Yep, cows CAN jump!

Ron

We still use that method, and i will use nates field knife for this, but I find a stout stick to baton the knife with. The reason we do it, is clean everything out the best we can, get all the blood and guts out. We carry out our deer whole, or cut them in half if it's really heavy. And when your carrying the back end, you usually have your head between it's legs, and I don't really want shit rolling down my back, doesn't feel to good.

in 50+ years of field dressing dead animals, I have yet to hammer a knife through bone. That is not only unnecessary, but unsafe, and accomplishes nothing.

.Even with a proper chopper [cleaver] you tend to shatter some of the bone. You don't want pieces of bone in your food .

Back