Fixed blade suggestions.

My friend asked me to get him a knife today.

1. Fixed blade.

2. About a foot long or so.

3. "Budget-oriented"...cheap as possible without being "cheap".

4. Durable. It doesn't have to be pretty.

I figure he's gonna use it for chopping stuff around the house, maybe some plants and stuff. (Last time I was over at his house, he was punching bamboo in half) It has to be something he can use, since he's not the most gentle guy with his tools.

Hmm. I decline to answer on the grounds that it may incriminate me in some sort of vicious crime against vegetables...

Paracelsus

Cold Steel Master Hunter,Trailmaster
Becker Magnum Camp or Companion.

------------------

have a"knife"day

Sounds like a job for a sharpened prybar: Cold Steel SRK.
smile.gif
Have one for about two months now and am convinced its a good deal for the price. There is also Ontario's Spec Plus line. For some reason they're handles seem tougher than CS's.

12" overall...I don't think he'd mind if it was bigger or smaller though, he just held his hands "this much" apart.

Trees aren't vegetables, are they? First thing he did when he saw my balisong was take it away and stab it through a tree
biggrin.gif

Para,
You don't want to be associated with vegetable pain? Do you only eat meat then? I hear it leads a pretty pleasant life and a painless death, right? lol

Do you, maybe, just subsist on sugar? You realize sugar cane is a vegetable.

Dragon,
For your friends needs, Cold Steel does seem like a solution...think about a Bushman...good knife, very sharp, really cheap(inexpensive).

------------------
Sean

Oh yeah...

I got my other friend a Bushman for Christmas(he loves the sound it makes when drawn from the sheath, and does so repeatedly...), and the friend who currently wants a knife has seen it.

He mentioned that he wants one like that, but "with a handle"...he wants some material covering the handle, not like the Bushman, which is forged from a single piece of steel.

Tantos wouldn't be good for chopping, would they?

Argh...the Bushman looks like the best deal to me...why do people want to chop down trees with knives anyway?

I think I'll ask him if he wants an axe or the CS shovel.

If not, I guess it'll be an Ontario.

[This message has been edited by Dragon1 (edited 02-21-2001).]

no, i wouldn't bother with a tanto. depending on what he is doing exactly, maybe something in a reverse tanto, or a wharncliffe blade...although im not sure yet which knifemakers offer this at a low price.

also, what price range is he looking for?
considering:

1.Amount of upkeep(420 is cheaper, but requires lots of maintenance, etc.)

2.Size of knife desired

3.Tougness(buy one that is cheap, but breaks often, or not)

There are many more qualifications for his knife, but these, I feel, are some of the most important, at least for your friends situation.

------------------
Sean

[This message has been edited by Blackwatch (edited 02-21-2001).]

Get a Bushman, rough up the paint on the handle and then apply a liberal coat of "pickup bedliner spray paint" from Wal-Mart. It gives great texture and grip to an otherwise slippery handle.

Why not a Ka-bar? Cheap. Good. And in my opinion, better looking than a Spec Plus or SRK.

Got to put in a vote for the Fallkniven line. Got an S1 and it is a great knife. Good steel. Hard knife to beat for the money. Also, get a kydex sheath from eric (normark) This is the only way to go.

I second the Fallkniven. It's an inexpensive knife with great steel that's corrosion resistant. Someone who measures a knife "about this big" with outstretched hands probably isn't going to provide much maintenance.

------------------
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, It's the sudden stop at the end.

Fallkniven A1, if you want it even more corrosion resistant, get the coated version. These are great knives, and the price is pretty decent on it too.

Cold Steel Bushman. If you look around you should be able to find one around $20.

It was one of the knives used on a hunting safari in Africa that was featured in an article in the January 2001 BLADE edition. Held up pretty well.

Back