1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Recommendation? Fixed blade

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by mefisto, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Bastler

Bastler Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2020
    How odd that nobody has recommended a Smatchet.

2. jideta

jideta Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2020
    Personally, I think too much emphasis is made on using a particular steel.
    Ask the smith what he recommends and I would go with that. They know way more about it than me.
    Unless you got your heart set on something in particular, that's what I would do.

Most of my stuff is 1095; I'm not picky.

Lee D likes this.
  3. shortwinger

shortwinger Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2010
    For $200 you could buy a Buck 105, 117 & a 119 if you are a good bargain hunter. That should cover any mood you’re in and complete any task you mentioned.

The Cold Steel SRK is a fantastic knife and a real workhorse, as is the Recon Scout. The Master Hunter is also a very good field blade that doesn’t get much attention.

The Grohmann #1 Canadian Belt knife and the #3 Boat knife are my go to fixed blades and well within your budget. You could probably get both for the $200. I have never handled the #4 Survival model but it has great reviews if you want something bigger.

I also really like my Puma Hunters Pal although it is probably considered more of a gentleman’s knife than a workhorse. The Hunters Friend is the bigger version, a friend of mine has had one for decades and still loves it.

4. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    Same. Unlike my folders, I tend to be heavy handed when using fixed blades, so I really like 1095.

5. steelhog

steelhog

Jul 2, 2009
    With a $200 limit you really have a lot of great options. There is never a shortage of great blades but for me there is always a shortage of handles that fit/are comfortable my hands. If possible I would say get an idea what type of handle shape/size/material you like local shopping. After that I would find your ideal blade based on handle first then the other criteria. Just my 2cents from a guy that has wasted way too much money on knives with too thin or slick handles......:)

6. mefisto

mefisto

Oct 10, 2019
    Greetings,

thank you for all the recommendation; it is a lot of information to absorb and process, but I am slowly working through it.

Hi steelhog,

absolutely agree. That is why my folder is, what many consider large for EDC, but it fits my hand and I do not thus mind carrying it.

Kindest regards,

M

7. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Cold Steel SRK