Fixing a framelock?

Is there anything that can be done to fix a DPx HEST framelock with really bad "lock rock"?

Bought it 3rd party online, so have a feeling it wouldn't be covered under warranty.

Is there anything that can be done to fix a DPx HEST framelock with really bad "lock rock"?

Bought it 3rd party online, so have a feeling it wouldn't be covered under warranty.

Not much you can do. This model is prone to lockrock because of the overly curved lockface on the tang of the knife. To be honest I am surprised they released it like this with all the knowledge that it causes an issue.

Do you know if it is a DPX HEST or HEST 2.0? Your best bet is to try and contact the service department at the DPX website. The lady that I emailed about customer service was very polite.

Then again I wasn’t asking her to fix anything.

I suggest. Go to their website and register the knife as yours. The registration process seems to have no way of determining which individual knife belongs to each person. (Like you don’t enter a serial number or something.) So I would register the knife and send that sucker in.

An anvil, a hammer, and a center punch will do the trick. :)
Peening the lock-bar a little back from the lock-face will bulge the titanium out, making it slightly longer...enough to put it right back to early and solid lock-up. :thumbsup:

Did that on an original Spyderco Titanium Military I got.
It has been one of my brother's main work knives for years now.
Solid and early lock-up.

Of course, you have to be willing to accept the consequences if you screw it all up. :D

An anvil, a hammer, and a center punch will do the trick. :)
Peening the lock-bar a little back from the lock-face will bulge the titanium out, making it slightly longer...enough to put it right back to early and solid lock-up. :thumbsup:

Did that on an original Spyderco Titanium Military I got.
It has been one of my brother's main work knives for years now.
Solid and early lock-up.

Of course, you have to be willing to accept the consequences if you screw it all up. :D

LOL, might come to that, I had a right hand one years ago that was perfect, was kinda surprised how much "rock" this one had.

It's not like you've bought a Rolex from the gray market. Most knife companies cover repairs on their products no matter how the owner acquired it. Plus, most knives don't have individual serial numbers to track.
Call DPx, Tell them what's wrong, and nothing more. Ask about their service program and how you go about sending it in.

stabman nailed it but I'd try to get the maker to fix it first even if it cost a bit.

Just an update, I sent it in back in July, heard back today, that they are going to fix it under warranty.

Reactions: Mo2
FINAL UPDATE:, Dpx really came through. It's been 89 days sent I sent it back, and it took a trip back to Italy to the factory for repair, then back to them and then back to me, but it came back perfect. Not a trace of the previous blade play, you can see where they did some adjustments to the lock face, but it's solid as a rock now.

Not only fixed, but they covered postage to/from Italy and Priority Mail back to me from California, and didn't ask me for a cent.

I was also kept up to date through the entire process of when and where it was sent, when it returned etc...

Nice to see companies with that kind of customer service!

Most knives are covered regardless of 3rd party or not. Doesn't hurt to just setup a request for warranty. Don't even mention you bought it used.

Once you start to modify it that's when warranty goes out the window.

Edit I should probably read all the posts before replying. My bad. Glad it worked out for you.

Last edited:
Back