Fixing a tip for a possible knife purchase?

Hello, there's a sweet Spyderco that I really want that's up for sale at a decent price, but before I did anything I examined the pictures and noticed that the tip on it looks a bit toothy (not the normal kind of toothy edge), there was definitely a noticeably uneven grind on the tip, nothing major but it is still there and is present enough to bug me if I'd own it. I notified the seller and he told me that he had not noticed it before but was willing to knock back the price even more to make up for it.

I was wondering if it would be too difficult to fix the tip on it? I am no master sharpener but I do own a small sharpening stone and have gotten an Opinel sharp enough to shave hair.

Here are the pictures, examine the tip, it is small but present nonetheless.

delica1_zpsne8xauuh.png

delica2_zpseqnsvfnv.png~original

If anyone thinks a sharpening novice with a simple stone can fix that up than it's worth the purchase because I'd be saving around 15 bucks

I don't think that's a big deal. You should have no problem touching that up. I'd go for it.

Is your doubt worth $15?
As far as a fix, it is an easy one, but that is through my filter as will any following poster be.

Easiest way to find out if you can fix it is to intentionally ding up the tip of a knife you don't carry and try to fix that. Heck, even try to sharpen a butter knife, those serrations would be difficult compared to the dings in the pictured edge.

I would go for it and use it as way to increase your sharpening skill, vg10 is easy.
------
If that is a PM2, endura or delica, the spine on the tip may have also been ground down to rid a broken tip, the drop seems pronounced.

Probably shouldn't get involved and mind my own business but if it were me and I was only saving $15.00
I would pass it up like last weeks news paper 😉

Is your doubt worth $15?
As far as a fix, it is an easy one, but that is through my filter as will any following poster be.

Easiest way to find out if you can fix it is to intentionally ding up the tip of a knife you don't carry and try to fix that. Heck, even try to sharpen a butter knife, those serrations would be difficult compared to the dings in the pictured edge.
------
If that is a PM2, endurance or delica, the spine on the tip may have also been ground down to rid a broken tip, the drop seems pronounced.

I got a crappy little pocket knife lying around, I'll try it, thanks

And yes, it is a Delica, you think the tip may have been broken? According to the seller he had bought the knife a few months before and had only used it a 'couple' of times to cut boxes, but the wear in the pocket clip on some of the pictures makes me think otherwise

Probably shouldn't get involved and mind my own business but if it were me and I was only saving $15.00
I would pass it up like last weeks news paper [emoji6]

The fix is "easy," but could be a little more time consuming than you realize if you've never done something like this before, depending on your OCD level. [emoji41] I was thinking $15.00 might not be enough of a discount. It would probably need more like a $25.00 discount to make me interested. But price attractiveness is subjective.

The fix is "easy," but could be a little more time consuming than you realize if you've never done something like this before, depending on your OCD level. [emoji41] I was thinking $15.00 might not be enough of a discount. It would probably need more like a $25.00 discount to make me interested. But price attractiveness is subjective.

You think maybe if it still had the warranty Spyderco would fix it (or replace the knife)?

The seller had apparantly only used the knife for 2 months to open boxes. He says he is sure that the toothy edge was a manufacturing defect. I'm afraid that the knife was badly heat treated or something which resulted in the chips

I agree 100% [emoji1303]

You think maybe if it still had the warranty Spyderco would fix it (or replace the knife)?

The seller had apparantly only used the knife for 2 months to open boxes. He says he is sure that the toothy edge was a manufacturing defect. I'm afraid that the knife was badly heat treated or something which resulted in the chips

The shipping to and from Spyderco would cost you very close if not more than the 15 dollars you would save.

For $5 return shipping, Spyderco will fix it for you. If I did my math right, you're still coming out ahead. ;)

Sorry if this opens a can of worms, but is that even a legit Delica?

The jimping looks rather "round" and the edge looks weird. Doesn't look like a typical Spyderco edge to me.

For $5 return shipping, Spyderco will fix it for you. If I did my math right, you're still coming out ahead. ;)

What about the shipping to Spyderco? Assuming it's only five dollars to them, you're only coming out at 5 dollars less than a new one, and then he still has to fix the edge. And knowing the postal service, it would probably be more than 5 dollars to ship it to them.

Thinking about it.. if the seller assures me that the warranty is still valid I'll call Spyderco to check how much it'll cost.

All this to save 15 bucks, what can I say I'm cheap

Sorry if this opens a can of worms, but is that even a legit Delica?

The jimping looks rather "round" and the edge looks weird. Doesn't look like a typical Spyderco edge to me.

From what I can tell by the pictures it looks legitimate. The seller has good feedback and sells quite often. If he dodges my question about the warranty that'll raise some suspicion.

I've seen bigger discounts on new Spydies or like new .
Just saying ....
Why even mess with with one that's long in the tooth [emoji6]

I've seen bigger discounts on new Spydies or like new .
Just saying ....
Why even mess with with one that's long in the tooth [emoji6]

I'd love to see some of these discounts because from what I can see the prices on these more premium knives tend to inflate over time. There's something holding me back from buying a Spyderco at full price, but perhaps this one isn't worth the trouble like you said :thumbup:

The edge looks still factory. The very tip of the knife is missing and there are two other noticeable dings close to the tip. These should not be difficult to fix. Hard to say if it is genuine with only one pic but the point BB made does deserve some consideration. If you are looking for a delica to use, I'd say go for it if it is at least 35% off the lowest retail that you can find.

Back