fixing blisters *NOW*

This is a great thread, I just got back from a hike and have a fiendish blister on my right foot. Usually I pop them, cut open a small hole to let the air get to it and start to dry out the skin underneath without having to allow too much contact with the sensitive skin. Usually this works just fine, this time though it would have been a fatal mistake as it caused me so much pain the following day it basically immobilised me. Its now 4 days later and I am just able to put my weight on it.

This has led me to look into prevention rather than treatment. I know that the socks and insole I have in my boots are not the best. I think prevention is the key here. Its good to know how to treat them, but I am convinced that its better to be able to prevent them with warning signs and good fitting footwear.

Temper said:

This has led me to look into prevention rather than treatment. I know that the socks and insole I have in my boots are not the best. I think prevention is the key here. Its good to know how to treat them, but I am convinced that its better to be able to prevent them with warning signs and good fitting footwear.

Prevention is key but blisters are not always avoidable so its good to know ways to patch yourself up in order to get back. A dual sock system thin slippery liner and thicker padded outer is the best I have found and treating hotspots ASAP for prevention.

Quality broken in boots is a no brainer.

SKam

Cliff,
Yes, it is called Tincture of Benzoine. You may need to ask the pharmicst as it is often behind the counter. It's primary use is as a skin adhesive,usually used to anchor steri-strips.
Allan

Blisters are a huge part of my work. As an athletic trainer, I deal with athletes who get blisters daily, and you can not miss practice or a game because of a measly blister. I have developed a pretty good treatment over the years. Keep in mind that some of the glue/duct tape methods work great for the short term fix, but in my profession, we have to HEAL the blisters as well as come up with a functional solution so the athletes can get back on the field or court. Here are some tips that have worked for me.
1. Drain the blister...even though the fluid is sterile, the pressure of the blister is painful.
2. Clean the area with soap and water.
3. Apply a small amount of silver nitrate cream to the blister (if you can get it)
4. Apply a water/gel pad such as Second Skin to the blister
5. Tincture of benzoin to get good adhesion with the bandage.
6. Apply an appropriately sized bandage.
7. Cover area with elastic tape.

Works for me and my athletes and the blister is usually turned to a callous in less than 24 hours.

jokrswylde said:
... we have to HEAL the blisters as well as come up with a functional solution so the athletes can get back on the field or court.

Yes, that is exactly what I was considering, situations where you just can't keep the load off of them.

1. Drain the blister...even though the fluid is sterile, the pressure of the blister is painful.

You leave the top layer of skin on or take it off?

Apply a small amount of silver nitrate cream to the blister

For which purpose, I though this was mainly to jump start wounds which were not healing. Do you use it on anything else besides blisters?

-Cliff

I lance, put a bandaid or moleskin on it, then cover with duct tape from my nalgene when I am backpacking

Spenco second skin is great stuff but mano its expensive!

My goal is to dry the blister out ASAP so it toughens and I can get back to action. The crazy glue or benzoine speeds this up greatly. Moist feet and blisters are the enemy. Foot powder helps a lot too.

Skam

before i go out on an extended trip i usually use degree spray on deoderant on my feet and wear my boots and the socks ill be wearing a couple days before i go. my gawd awful shaped feet need all the help they can get . smart wool socks are a good way to go .

Back