Fixing the AOL problem

JH225

Gold Member
O.K.

I think I have finally figured out the problem.

Because AOl uses so much space, when you actually are on-line your computer is running at way to low a performance level.

I have a PII 300 with 64 Ram, which should be more than enough...BUT, when I have AOL up my performance is only 77%, which is to slow to run the forums for some reason.

What I did was to limit the programs that run constantly in the backround.

I removed the following programs from start up...Instant Messanger,the little AOL icon in the task bar, MGA quick desk, and most importantly I stopped my Anti-Virus from running constantly.

My performance level jumped up to 94% and I now have no problems getting into BF and navigating the forums.

Note that the main thing you need to do is stop the Anti-Virus from running all of the time. You can still run it by going to the program and manually run it.

To check your performance level, hold down your ALT buton and double click on MY Computer, then go to the performance tab and click on it.

You can also try to shut down various programs by hitting CTRL<ALT<DELETE, which will bring up the Close Program box. In there, you can turn off programs one at a time and they will turn back on when you re-boot.You really only need to be running AOL,SYSTRAY,and EXPLORER.

Hope this works for the rest of you. Give it a try.

Back