FK2

I have a "harder and thinner" FK2 inbound for delivery tomorrow, which will be my first CPK and I am completely stoked. Question for you guys who own and use the harder/thinner variety: Do I need to take it easy on this knife due to the higher hardness? Will it be more prone to chipping or other damage? For example, I frequently baton hardwood logs (hickory and oak) while preparing wood for my bbq smoker, which can be hard on a knife. Should I be concerned about doing tasks like this with my harder/thinner FK2? Thanks!

You can baton the standard Field Knife through hardwood. Or electrical cable. Or water pipe. Green bone. Flashing. Trim. Gasketing. Pretty much anything you need to cut, that's all normal use. I've cut nails, bolts, concrete, etc and it will do it but that's not normal use and it's harmful.

The hard thin were made for knife nuts who want something more slicey and don't plan to wail on it. I know for certain you can baton hardwood with it. At least for a while. But you'll eventually get a blowout. It lacks the ductility. This was the trade-off to get that extra crisp edge.

Our standard Delta protocol already has a pretty crisp edge. It was optimized for edge stability and we did so without reducing its durability. The extra hard variation is a plate martensite that has somewhat enhanced fine edge stability but at the loss of some of that ductility. The standard Delta protocol is a better protocol, but some people enjoy getting that last little bit of light use edge retention for use on thin edges.

^ IIRC, it was Andy (Never Truly Lost) who had initially advocated for a harder/thinner variant of the FK2 which he wanted to try and use for his purposes in hunting and his related field activities. I had also asked you about its functional prowesses in heavier duty kitchen tasks and what if the edge hits bones and joints to which you had not expressed any great concerns about. I am just going by a fading memory!

^ IIRC, it was Andy (Never Truly Lost) who had initially advocated for a harder/thinner variant of the FK2 which he wanted to try and use for his purposes in hunting and his related field activities. I had also asked you about its functional prowesses in heavier duty kitchen tasks and what if the edge hits bones and joints to which you had not expressed any great concerns about. I am just going by a fading memory!

I think just having a thinner distal taper or swedge combo would also do the trick; but at that point going to AEBL or D2 in 3/32 is probably just easier for meat cutting.
Standard FK2 is still plenty slicy for gross cuts and skinning larger game though. I can slice up super thin tomato slices with the regular version no problem. It is just those tight corner cuts while butchering that a fillet knife is really the best tool for the job.

VWBRWWN.jpg

Nathan posts quite a bit. Which post in particular or sub forum.

With all due respect...... This one..... up above... on Monday

You can baton the standard Field Knife through hardwood. Or electrical cable. Or water pipe. Green bone. Flashing. Trim. Gasketing. Pretty much anything you need to cut, that's all normal use. I've cut nails, bolts, concrete, etc and it will do it but that's not normal use and it's harmful.

The hard thin were made for knife nuts who want something more slicey and don't plan to wail on it. I know for certain you can baton hardwood with it. At least for a while. But you'll eventually get a blowout. It lacks the ductility. This was the trade-off to get that extra crisp edge.

Our standard Delta protocol already has a pretty crisp edge. It was optimized for edge stability and we did so without reducing its durability. The extra hard variation is a plate martensite that has somewhat enhanced fine edge stability but at the loss of some of that ductility. The standard Delta protocol is a better protocol, but some people enjoy getting that last little bit of light use edge retention for use on thin edges.

How big of a difference is there between the standard FK2 and the hard and thin variety? Looking for real world use.

I’m not much help as I only own the FK2. I passed on the hard thin BAD IDEA. The most recent FK2 at least to me is super sharp !!!!!! After Nathan gave explanation of the two, I went FK2 :) Sharp , Strong , no worries !

I’m not much help as I only own the FK2. I passed on the hard thin BAD IDEA. The most recent FK2 at least to me is super sharp !!!!!! After Nathan gave explanation of the two, I went FK2 :) Sharp , Strong , no worries !
I also went with the FK2. It’s my favorite knife but I’m always looking for something a little different. The DEK1 is super slicey, I was hoping he was going to make a hard thin version of that. That thing would cut like a laser. I was wondering how big of a difference there is from people that use both both because you’re right. The FK2 is sharp. I was wondering how much sharper the hard thin one was.

Back