1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flannel lined knife slips

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Redbeardo, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Redbeardo

Redbeardo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 26, 2012
    Just wanted to show off my new flannel lined knife slip. Also pictured is my almost daily carry pocket clip sheath for my little fixed blades. knives.jpg

SV-97, gunfixrjoe, lowes48 and 7 others like this.
  2. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Nice work.

Redbeardo likes this.
  3. Redbeardo

Redbeardo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 26, 2012
    Thanks Dave, I appreciate it:thumbsup:

4. jwccustom57

jwccustom57 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 13, 2017
    I'm intrigued by the flannel, seems like a great idea for a soft liner. Is there any way to make it a bit stiffer for gluing, keep the visible edge from unraveling and perhaps water resistant for potentially dirty field duty? Or are these not issues at all.

Redbeardo likes this.
  5. sheathmaker

sheathmaker Custom Leather Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    Logic would dictate the answers to your questions would all probably be NO. Anything you try to do to mitigate any or all of the factors your mentioned would change the soft properties of the flannel to something entirely different. It's similar to trying to truly waterproof leather. If you are successful then the leather is no longer like leather.

Paul

Redbeardo likes this.
  6. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I like the looks of the flannel lined sheath, but doesn't it wear trough quickly?

Redbeardo likes this.
  7. Redbeardo

Dec 26, 2012
    Thanks for all the comments fellas. The flannel is glued down with a heavy duty fabric glue that doesnt affect the softness. When I started doing these I did expect the flannel edges to fray a bit but after carrying mine for a few weeks now, its only frayed just a touch and am so far really happy with how they have held up. My idea was the edges fraying would add bit more of a look to it. Since it is sewn all the way around, the edges will only fray to the stitch line and stop there. The flannel lining has shown no signs of wearing through on the inside at all.

8. Signalprick

Signalprick Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Hey Rob, @Redbeardo these look great. I wonder, do you make anything lined like this big enough to fit the GEC Whaler?