1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flashlight?

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by JK Knives, Nov 3, 2018.

1. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    What model do you (from personal experience), consider the best model. Must use AA batteries.

2. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    much like knives, there's no such thing as "best" - but I'm a fan of the surefire protac and fenix PD/LD series single AA and AAA lights.

Even maglite has reportedly done a good job of getting into the LED game, though I haven't tried one of theirs yet. (keep looking at the mini-mag)

as a budget light, Wally sells a nice 3-color (white, red - for night vision, blue - for game tracking) Bushnell branded light that I carry on my hunting bag and have one next to the bed.
    indoors I try to limit my lights to less than 100 lumens -- it gives me better run time and reflection off walls doesn't impair MY vision.

3. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    I am a fan of Fenix, I’ve got several of those. Another one that has impressed me is the Coast brand, I’m liking the single AA model I got from Home Depot.

TheZenful1 likes this.
  4. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    The Fenix LD22 takes 2 AA batteries and is the one that fills that slot in my lights ... had it several years and I think it's a great light and not crazy expensive.

I love Surefires but found Fenix give more batteries options and usually higher lumens and definately longer run times I've found from personal usage.

If you want a single AA light the Fenix LD12 is my small light choice.

5. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    I need to check which Fenix models I have. One is 2AA, one is 1AA, and one is 1AAA.

6. Tetsujin 140.6

Tetsujin 140.6 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2011
    I'm also a Fenix fan, however I prefer the CR123 batteries, or even better yet a rechargeable CR123.

On my key chain I also have a Four Sevens Mini ML with a rechargeable 123. It's super bright (500 ish lumens) and the charge lasts for months.

7. BITEME

BITEME Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Thrunite archer 1a v2,is the one I have takes 1 aa,has tailswitch,momentary on +has a separate button for 5 modes ,I usually use the firefly or the second to lowest setting, on firefly mode batteries will last forever ~30 $

8. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    While I don't have the AA model, I would imagine the quality would be comparable to my single-AAA model. They make single- and double-battery versions of both the AA and AAA flashlights.

I love my Maratac from County Comm. I use Eneloop batteries in my AAA. This flashlight is on me from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed. Super simple, twist to turn on, three brightness modes, pocket clip, and tail stands. Nothing you don't need.

[​IMG]

TheZenful1 and mykel m like this.
  9. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I would second the Enloop Pro Rechargable AA batteries ... a slight increase in performance and 500 charges ...

the regular Enloops I believe give over 2000 charges but don't put out quite as much performance.

I prefer 18650 lights but I also keep AA models because they are more readily available ... but I highly recommend the Enloop rechargables they will pay for themselves in short order and don't have to worry about leaks like alkaline AAs.

10. greatscoot

greatscoot It's called a "Clip" Platinum Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Malkoff is really nice too. Will last forever.

11. Goose 7279

Goose 7279 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 22, 2015
    For cheap i like the astrolux sc41 or42 for littpe pricier i like peak logan and you have all kinds of batteries you can use in it. Also you can get them in copper brass stainless i like the momentary switch too. Or you can twist to stay on. But for some amazing craftsmanship tnc makes some beauties

12. grunt soldier

grunt soldier Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 4, 2009
    If you want a bomb proof light malkoff is where it's at for value. I run surefire on duty and they are hard to beat but can be expensive. Streamlight makes some decent stuff too and then you can get in to high end customs. But I think malkoff is awesome for the monies.