Flickin Sebenzas

A friend of mine and a fellow knife nut has an annoying habit of flicking open his knives. We have had much discussion over this and while, as he claims, quality knives can handle this, I argue I can pull and present a blade as fast as he, without all that stress on the knife. IMHO, thumb studs were made for a purpose. They are like anything else in the world, with practice, you will become fast. Once this motion becomes a learned motor skill, I feel it is as fast as anything on the market. Never being a big fan of autos, never mind the legal side of carrying one, I think the studs can be as fast or even faster.

I should receive my first Sebenza next week--thanks to Cecil Self at Arrow-Dynamics and no doubt my friend will have a need to handle the Sebie. He is a huge Emerson fan and will try to compare the two. And then the flicking will start!! Don't get me wrong, I love the man but we both have our opinions and are not afraid to voice them to each other.

I have heard all the stories about the strengh of the Sebenza but have little handling time with them. If I may ask a silly question, will my new Sebenza become upset by my friend's flicking?

My friend, unfortunately, is not on-line yet. I told him I was going to post this question. I'd like to print out the responses to let him see what other knife nuts think.

Thanks, Shep
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Shep (edited 02-19-2000).]

I too prefer the thumbstud deployment. But rest assured your Sebbie can take it. At the most you would encounter wear on the stop pin. CRK designs their stop pins to be adjustable which will tighten up any play that would develope after MANY flick openings. I am not sure if the Emersons have this feature so all that your friend may get for his actions is a sloppy lock-up over time.

------------------
It's only a mistake if you fail to learn from it!

According to the information on the Chris Reeve website, flicking open the knife is not recommended. Continuous flicking open will "damage the lock and give it a gritty feel. Not to mention that the stop pin and the back of the blade are not designed for that sort of continual shock".

If you value your new Sebenza for the fine knife and excellent investment it is, you won't let your friends handle it like that. Kinda makes me angry just hearing about someone handling anothers' property with such disregard. Best of luck.

He's a good friend and wouldn't flick the knife if told not to. I will ask him to refrain from abusing the new Sebenza. I can't wait to get the knife. I have wanted one for a long time. I couldn't justify spending the money in the past. Then I realized, I will spend $500-$600 on a quality firearm so why not a quality knife. They are both tools that are built to be used!

Thanks for the input gentlemen,

Shep

Look at it this way. Compare the Sebenza to a Porsche. Both high performance, well engineered, and built like brick sh!thouses.

But you wouldn't speed shift the Porsche every time you had to change gears, would you?

------------------
Don LeHue

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings...they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

I have always had the opinion it is foolish not to use the things we buy (excluding collectibles of course). People often buy things and then are afraid to use them. The same friend mentioned above could not believe I was planning to use the Sebenza at work. I said why not. He said because it was expensive he wouldn't use it much. Sebenzas, Porsches, etc. are designed and built for a purpose. It would be a crime, IMHO not to use these items as they were intended. Now If I had a mint condition 1970 MGB (I actual did once--sold it for $2K-before their value started to climb-Oh well-I'm no longer bitter!?!)I would limit the use but none the less, I would still take her out now and then and air her out. Money only gets you the things you want. After the family is taken care of, toys are next. And toys are meant to be used!!

IMHO, Shep

DonL, Good point about the sebbie-porsche, however, I have a very bad habit of "GETTING ON IT" in my car, I just can't help it!! Its not a porsche though. Take care, Jeff
wink.gif

salamander, I do know what you mean. My car, while also not a Porsche, has become quite familiar with the rev limiter. Guess my point was, do I drive like that all the time? No, of course not. Do I flick open my Sebenza? Yes, but only very seldom. That's not to say I don't operate my car and Sebenza, I certainly do, and sometimes quite hard. I'll use them, but not abuse them.

Maybe Walt can tell us about flogging a Porsche around. I'll probably never know what that's like.
frown.gif

Guess there's a time and place.

------------------
Don LeHue

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings...they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

Just wanted to update you guys. Got my Sebenza today (See my other post for all my jumping up and down) Took it to work and showed it to my friend. Amazingly, no flicking. He was speechless. He handled it like a fine piece of china. Now that I have it, I'm having a hard time living up to my words posted above. It soooo nice I hate to use it. I'm sure I'll come around by the weekend and find something to cut!!

Thanks for listening,
Shep

Welcome to the ranks of Sebenzistas! Got mine (large plain) about a month ago. I feel like I almost have no choice but to use it, since none of my former "favorite carry" knives compare with any aspect of its feel, sturdiness and cutting ability.
I am glad I didn't put it in my pocket this morning though, as it turned out that Al Gore came to do an interview in my building, and the place was full of Secret Service agents.

I now have the same problem. None of my other knives seem to appeal to me now. Usually with a new knife, I carry it for a few days then box it back up and return to one of my old favorites. Not this time.

Is it normal to sleep with your knife !?!?!?

I'm not nutz, I've just gone sebenza

Shep

Haven't actually clipped the Sebbie to my PJ's yet, but it does sit on my night table. I sleep better knowing it's there ...

Back