flicking knives

O.K., we all do it ... often in front of a mirror. It's fun, it's cool. Every once in a while the knife flies out of our hands and hits the ground, but not too often...

I just recently had to go to the ER to see the wife of one of our brethren. He had been showing her how well his AFCK flicked open, and it sort of hit her in the face. Needless to say, she is no longer supportive of his knife collecting, and he feels like crap.

Although it should be obvious, I know that I (and probably most of you) like to play around with knives at times and places that are inappropriate. This really drove home to me just how stupid that is.

Please be careful. One little second of fun could be your fingers, your wife's face, your kid...

A public service message brought my a member (yeah).

-Fred

I think these safety reminders are a good idea. Sometimes I start taking the knife for granted and then I notice something that reminds me that there is potential danger with our passion.

My sons and I were looking at our collection in my bedroom one day and I look up and see my 10 year old holding an open knife kneeling on the bed. If he slipped he could easily have impaled himself. I'm not saying we have to be paranoid, but being cautious will prevent a dreaded accident.

We now sit on the floor or table when we're examining our knives. We also don't walk with an open knife (the kids caught me a few times and let me have it).

Thanks for the reminder Fred. What are some other common sense safety reminders, gang?

------------------

~Greg~

If there are children around, always make sure the knives are secure. My then two year old son pulled one of my AFCKs out of my briefcase and cut his finger with it. I never felt so low. Luckily, he didn't require a trip to the hospital and the wound healed completely. Understandably, my wife was very upset. I also worried about what agency might want to get involved when I called the pediatrician. Luckily, no one saw the need to report it.

Axel

One problem I have found is that people who have never handled a knife before asking to look at your knife. This happened to me and the guy ended up with a nice slice trying to open the knife. Most people around this area have never seen the one handed folders like the Spyderco and Benchmade and are interested
in their design and easy of opening.I don't mind getting the odd nick myself but for others well I have learned.

Bob

Flipping your knife absent mindedly is a rather bad idea. I learned my lesson rather early on when I was practicing with a butterfly knife. I closed it improperly--basically, my pinky went between the business end of the blade and the handle, leaving me a rather large (and probably stitch-worthy) cut along my pinky. Red, red vino everywhere...

The funny thing is that _no_ blood got onto the blade, but it did get everywhere else.

I certainly learned my lesson.
smile.gif

Funny thing is, the only knicks I've gotten so far were real little ones from my small SAK. These usually happen when it flicks closed. Though small, these little knick can bleed a lot and need a bandaid.

I think it may be a mindset. When I handle the "real" folders, I'm always more careful opening and closing.

Children are a whole nother story. The periodic reminders about safety are really needed. The younger ones don't really know until they learn the hard way or are taught by someone who knows. Us aDOLTS also need periodic reminders that our toys are SHARP and can do their work real well - intended or not.

It is really hard not to get carried away with the flick thing. This impulse may be one of the major identifying characteristics of a real knife nut.

STOP THAT!! Seriously, 'flicking' or 'flipping' a knife open is hard on it!

I found this out the hard way; I loaned my Kit Carson large model 18, with CPM420V blade, to a woman who was our hostess that evening. She went in the front room, after nearly impaling one of the guests, as her knife had slipped out of her hand. She practiced with my Kit Carson for about 30 min. There is a flat spot on the stop pin, now, and the blade does not lock up tight.

Flipping is like dryfiring a firearm; can't do it any good, and may well hurt it.

Walt

I'm not sure if it was Mighty Ducks 2 or something, but I once saw this movie, where a little girl flicked open the knife of a full-size SAK several times...I still wonder, how did she do it.

My two bits,
Jani

In regards to flipping, my CS VG showed blade play after a week or two with my flipping it out on occasion. However Jim March says his is still fine and he snaps his out often. As with anything realize what you are doing. I would never snap a folder that was pointed at someone.

I agree with Bob about non-knife people and the biggest problem is when they try to close your knife especially if they have just seen you do it and try to imitate you and close it on their fingers. Never assume that they have as much "common sense" as you.

-Cliff

I think all of us knife nuts do this flicking of the knife blades and sometimes it even becomes a habit. I agree totally that common sense should prevail when playing or flicking the blade just for the heck of it.

I try not to flick it open too much around the children, don't want them to get hurt or for them to think it is okay because I do it.

DO as I say, NOT as I do!

I guess that is why I find my self flicking the blade open and closed when I am in john. No body there but myself to get hurt. Wonder what kind of damage could result, though, from doing it in this place?

Maybe I had better cease from flicking it in there!

Mark

------------------

At least make sure your pants are up. I'd hate for us to lose a member...

-Fred

IMO, flicking, like dry-fire practice, when done properly is an essential part of self defense training. I want to be able to deploy my folder as quickly as possible. That means practice in a safe, controlled manner.

------------------
Ciao

MM

Good one Fred. I like to think of myself as part of the member for life club.

Axel

[This message has been edited by Axel Yup (edited 15 February 1999).]

Fred,
That was priceless. Good job. Better than Leno.
smile.gif

------------------

~Greg~

I'll take your advise Fred ... I need to remain a member
wink.gif

Mark

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mark W Douglas (edited 16 February 1999).]

Back