Flint Edge

Here's a Flint Edge I bought for $15, weighs 3 lbs 2 oz:

Axe+-+Flint+Edge+-+left+side_1_2_1.jpg

Axe+-+Flint+Edge+--+underside_1_2_1.jpg

Is Flint edge a brand that True Temper bought out or what?

And nice heads!

"In 1930 The American Fork & Hoe Company completely bought out the Kelly Axe Mfg. Co., also known as the Kelly Axe & Tool Co. That brought to an end the fifty seven year history of the Kelly Axe Mfg. Co. Although the name Kelly was continued for some time, none of the Kelly offspring are known to have been involved any longer.

"In addition to the facilities and equipment, the rights to all the brands, markings and labels owned by the Kelly Axe Mfg. Co. were transferred to the American Fork & Hoe Co. That included all the brands, markings and labels that had been acquired from the A. A. & T Co.

"...gradually many the brand names [like "Flint Edge"] were combined with the name True Temper. Others were discontinued or shelved. By 1949 the entire American Fork & Hoe Co. became known as True Temper and they reincorporated under that name."

from Yesteryeartools
http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yesteryears Tools/Kelly Axe Mfg. Co. .html

And nice heads!

Kelly owned both Flint Edge and True Temper labels. Sometimes they used both labels on axes. I know True Temper label was used by other companies after Kelly was bought out, but I don't think Flint Edge was used by anyone else after Kelly.

That's a nice collection of axes!

I was thinking that another manufacturer had the Flint Edge label, and then Kelly absorbed it when they took over the AATCo. But I will have to double check that.

I was thinking that another manufacturer had the Flint Edge label, and then Kelly absorbed it when they took over the AATCo. But I will have to double check that.

HAHA quote myself.....

Update - Flint Edge appears to have been an original Kelly label. I guess I was thinking of the others, like Red Warrior and Lippincott, which where other manufaturers labels, then absorbed by Kelly when they took over AATCo.

Very nice collection. I have a few of them. The axes seem to have some very good steel. They seem to hold an edge really well while in use.

Great thread nice collection. I have an axe marked True Temper Flint Edge. This one does not say Kelly Works. My question is does this date newer or older than Kelly works True Tempers? How was the quality of standard Flint Edge compared to the Flint Edge Kelly's? I see on the Bay they are going for less than ones marked True Temper Kelly Works. So that leads me to believe they are either inferior or newer or both. Thanks for looking. It is the one on the right. I have never seen someone paint the bit silver and the rest of the head black. I'm worried that I will find a weld repair or bondo under paint. Kelly Works might just be filled in with paint.

Back