Recommendation? Flip & fold pocket knife

Some decades ago, my grandfather gave me a novelty pocket knife - probably a promotional item. It looked vaguely like one of these:
55f15b79320562aa61ba2bf82ecedbab.jpg

e83006eb22ed32d054f9070db128b2b8.jpg

That is, it was a rectangular steel frame containing a metal sheath over a blade, with a hinge on one short end. Flip the sheath/blade lengthwise in one dimension, then swivel the sheath 180 degrees in another dimension, and you had a small utility knife. (as shown here: http://couperaucouteau.blogspot.com/2015/05/corto-maltese-hugo-pratt-de-pradel.html)

Its main benefit was that there was virtually no way it would come open in your pocket - plus, it was fun.

I'd like to get another one, but I'm not really a knife guy. I'm just looking for a cheap convenience tool. Suggestions on how to find one welcome.

There are a couple versions of this knife out there. Best one I'm aware of is the AG Russell Funny Folder.

rus-ff14ti-1.jpg

Despite the novelty, the specs and price ($50) are pretty good for a titanium-frame knife with a VG-10 blade. It's not very large, though, with a 2.25" blade. Super light, at 1oz.

All of those specs were pulled directly from their website. No idea if they're any good.

It's called a "funny folder" and they've been around since at least the 40's -- and, yes, they were often promotionally branded. I'm no expert but the only one I know of that is currently widely available is that AG Russell that Comeuppance posted. I was recently introduced to one coming out of Russia from a maker called Atropos Knives. Jesse James of TV-motorcycle fame also makes one.

Ted Dowell (now deceased) was a well-known custom maker who used to make them. His knives are sometimes found available for sale.

Thanks to both - for the terminology and for the potential source. The one Comeuppance posted is almost exactly the one I used to have, though from the sound of it, it's considerably better material. I'm not sure I want to spend $50 (good value or no) for a pocket knife, but given how close it is to what I had in mind, it's possible I'll check out Atropos and the others as well.

Jesse James Nomad. A high end funny folder (supposedly). I’ve never owned one or even spoken to someone who has experience with one. Who knows if they are worth the asking price.

maxresdefault.jpg

Actually, not, based on photos. Mine had a [I don't know what you call it] - a half convex, half concave tip [like a Bowie knife?].

EO, the blade shape you are describing is called a clip point.

And, even though it's pushing your budget/experience/inclination, I'd consider the knife from AG Russell. At least watch the video. It's not a clip point. But it's good blade steel. And titanium. Titanium is neat stuff. they make space ships out of it. It's addictive, too. I now own 3 titanium knives and 2 titanium watches. If you can swing the 1/2 a C-note, and it makes you think of your grandfather, it may be worth it. Or, you can spend some time shopping for a vintage funny folder. That's a good idea too, as sometimes the hunt is more fun than the having. Your call.

BTW, I've never owned, or even held, the AGR knife. But he wasn't known for making junk.

I have a promotional one from the 70s or so. I'd go for the A.G. Russell one, if it were me.

There's a cheap one (~8$) from Rough Rider.
I have not idea if it is good, even for that price, just wanted to share the info, as I think that it fits the bill of "cheap convenience tool"
Search with "your prefered web-search tool" for "Rough Rider Swing Blade"

There is a larger version but it is a cheap Chinese "replica" with German markings. Google search the phrase, Stainless Steel German Swing Blade Knife 4.625" with Stainless Steel Handle and Stainless Steel Plain Edge Blade Model MI1944.

There is a larger version but it is a cheap Chinese "replica" with German markings. Google search the phrase, Stainless Steel German Swing Blade Knife 4.625" with Stainless Steel Handle and Stainless Steel Plain Edge Blade Model MI1944.

So you are giving directions on where to find/buy a "clone/replica" knife with Nazi markings. o_O

Ah, so it's just an original knife with Nazi markings. No historical context.

To each his own, I guess.

I have no idea if the knife truly existed in a historical context. I assume it is a replica of some sort. The Nazi's did make knives, some people collect them, guns too, that doesn't make them a Nazi or a racist, since that seems to be your implication.

A thread specifically on that knife since your so interested.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/what-kind-of-knife-is-this-german-reproduction-knife.1093782/

Not a reproduction of a real knife to my knowledge. It's just a knife with the SS, Swastika and some German writing I cant translate on it.

Back on topic now:
Last I checked AG Russell still has an unrivaled warranty. If you don't like it just return it, their your safest bet for the knife. I own 2 AG Russell knives their top notch, I expect nothing less from them.

Last edited:
Back