Flipper question

Emerson released a batch of their flipper Combat Karambits this month. Just received one today. My first Emerson flipper. When opening slowly by hand it is as smooth as glass until the detent ball in the lockbar comes off of the blade. From that point until the blade locks (about the last 25 degrees) I can feel and hear a roughness or grittiness. Never had this on any non-flipper Emersons. Functionality of opening with wave or flipper is fine.

Should I:

1. Let it "break in"?
2. Flush it with a solvent like lighter fluid?
3. Disassemble and clean it?
4. Disassemble it and polish the edge of the lockbar that rides the surface of the blade?
5. Return it and exchange for another?
6. Send it to Emerson for warranty?

Absolutely the same problem, and also in the interval between the ball and the full opening.
I do not worry much, on the hundredth opening the effect has become less
DSC_a0244.jpg

Probably part of the break in. Maybe there is some grind in there. A quick break down and cleaning might help.

I would recommend the following.

#1 for a short period of time, then #3, then back to #1 again.

I would not even consider #4, I would go with #6 before I did that.

Thanks for all the useful replies. I have disassembled and cleaned emersons in the past but non with a ball bearing pivot. Are the ball bearings captivated? I don't even want to attempt it unless they are.

Everything is simple there, the main thing is to put them in the same way as it was.
Here is an example of a SDSC_a9670.jpg DSC_a9671.jpg DSC_a9674.jpg DSC_a9675.jpg heepdog:

Finally decided to go with Door Number 5; return and exchange. Why should I have to void the warranty on a new $250 knife to get it in proper condition. I do appreciate the disassembly photos for possible future use.

Last edited:
Back