Flytanium on your Benchmade

Just got a set for my (not yet acquired) Griptilian and am planning to send them off soon to be anodized so was wanting to see other folks Flytanium grips.
tiefly.jpg

I've got the Flytanium grips for the Mini-Grip. I really like them, but they are slick, a bit heavy, and to really nit-pick, I'm not crazy about how the new standoffs are not shouldered into the scale. I have another in KSF green and black G10, but I find myself carrying my standard, plain-Jane FRN-handled Mini the most these days.

Got a set for a full size grip awhile ago.Nothing but problems with blade centering of certain blades and none with others, of three different blades swapped.Then weird problems with the titanium screws and the standoff when everything is full fastened down.There was about a 1mm gap between the handles and the standoffs next to the axis bar.As a result it created a larger gap at the pivot end.Obviously created is a noticeable increase in felt tension when cranking down the pivot screw in order to decrease horizontal blade play.

Furthermore,the problem is always at the same location regardless of which of the standoff or screw is used.I measured each and every standoff with a digital caliper and all were found to be the same size.The only solution that I have found was to shorten the screw threads 1/16".The problem was solved,what appears to be the problem are ends of the screws were end to end in the standoff.

I am happy to say the above problems are history with a new 551 blade returned to BM for a centered blade.The knife performs flawlessly and has not vertical or horizontal blade play.I am extremely pleased with the titanium handles.

Just took my knife and I want to clarify the gap between the handle and standoff, is more like 0.5MM.Also,the thread on one screw only was shortened about a 1MM,not two.

First pic is the last two standoffs and screws fully tightened minus pivot screw.At the problem area only one side is fully fastened to show the defect.
ZcwVkbL.jpg

Second pic is all the standoffs and screws fully fastened minus pivot screw

That fronts pacer looks short. Try moving it to the next hole towards the back (middle spacer)? I am not super familiar with these scales. Could just be a bad spacer too.

That fronts pacer looks short. Try moving it to the next hole towards the back (middle spacer)? I am not super familiar with these scales. Could just be a bad spacer too.

No,It's not the standoffs.Measured them using a pair of digital calipers,all were within 0.001".One of the first things,I did was rotate the standoffs and the fasteners to no effect.I believe the problem has something to do with the depth of the countersinks in the handle and the screws,or the inner scales are not 100% flat.For a supposedly precision made item,my first Flytanium purchase was a very frustrating experience.

Pictures of my knife at the moment- the blade is centered,the axis bar protrudes nicely above the scales making closing and opening effortless,no horizontal or vertical blade play, the blade drops freely open and close,and installed is a polished deep cary clip from my Contego which makes the knife look damn sexy.I couldn't be happier with the knife.
rVWSA0l.jpg

3t8sQOD.jpg

kbGGEOd.jpg

HKVaUjD.jpg

Last edited:
Back