Fodderwing Gets Some New Pants

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Recently Dwight (Fodderwing) bought two of my knives. I'd pictured them in the Notable Pairs thread as they were handled from the same block of amazing wood. One was this Tapadero:

nrLaW90.jpg

The other was this Stainless Gordo:

SM3EHg2.jpg

All of my In Stock knives come with a sheath already made for them, but the customer, at their discretion, always has the option of adding an additional sheath to the order. Dwight wanted to add an oak carved pancake sheath to each knife. I quit making pancake sheaths for the Tapadero model sometime in the past. Just something about the geometry of the knife and the sheath. As the curve starts setting into the sheath a little, from being broken in and forming to the wearers body, the tip of the Tapadero comes through the front of the sheath. Ya usually only have to kick me a couple times till I get it figured out so after remaking about 15- 20 sheaths for folks with Tapaderos, I quit offering the pancake sheath for that knife. After some discussion with Dwight I did mention that I do occasionally make a Vertical Pancake sheath that would work for a Tapadero model and thats what Dwight settled on. Sit back grab a fresh cup of coffee and follow along as I build these two sheaths for Dwight. This won't be a how to so much as just an over view of what goes into one of my oak carved sheaths.

Well we got to start with some dead cow. This looks like a nice piece. I use Wicket and Craig 8-10 oz russet saddle leather for all my carved sheaths. Wicket and Craig is a premium leather tannery here in the USA and they make some REALLY nice leather.

BArL1FK.jpg

Then I dig through my pattern stash and find the right two for Dwight's knives:

LD0wZXv.jpg

The patterns are laid out on the leather and traced with a pencil. I then cut em out. I've made all my own roundknives, this elk one is what I used to cut out the sheaths. I keep three roundknives located on different parts of the bench. The one tool that is never put away. I expect these roundknives to cut this thick heavy leather, dry, and in one pass and they do. My roundknife is the same steel as Dwight's Stainless Gordo (AEB-L @ 62-63 RC).

95ff6MC.jpg

A quick dunk in my water bucket and we'll get started on all four pieces. Much of the work done on the first day will be done with the leather damp.

cPbIukg.jpg

I lay out the stitching/welt lines on the inside of the sheath (front piece) by drawing around with a Sharpie.

mnkNjE5.jpg

Here's many of the tools we'll be using on this project. The red handled tool is called a spoon modeler but I almost always just use the the sharper end. When my wife was getting into doing some leather work years ago, she couldn't remember the name of this tool so she christened it "The Pokey Tool" which it has been ever since. I use the pokey tool to trace hard on the lines and that transfers the mark to the other side.

6sUhVpV.jpg

This allows me to know where to place stitching lines, borders, tooling areas etc. After the tracing I will slick the front side of each piece. This will compress the grain of the leather, takes out little imperfections and just makes the leather more uniform. This is a little pro trick that many leather workers simply skip. They shouldn't. I using a piece of ligum vitae wood that I've had for decades to slick the leather.

DBRhz4c.jpg

Stitching grooves are cut into the leather based on the traced line and then using my swivel knife I cut an interior border inside that.

Emtm6Rd.jpg

zC8jcQy.jpg

Here's our two patterns that we will use to trace our oak leaf pattern onto the leather. The upper left one I used on the Gordo sheath and the Tapadero one was a new deal so I had to draw that one out. I always keep these patterns once I get one going because with a little adaptation they can be used again on similar sized knives.

QX5Zkgo.jpg

Pokey tool to the rescue again and I use that to press the pattern into the damp leather. We'll then use the two different sized swivel knives pictured to cut the traced lines.

AUcDpBb.jpg

All lines are cut except the veins on the leaves. I try to cut the lines at about half the thickness of the leather deep.

GDpuCHG.jpg

So we will then use these four bevelers to bevel around most of the cut lines. We'll leave the stems alone at this time, except for the parts where they are outside the leaf boundary.

2J081vE.jpg

These tools are struck with a maul or mallet and they push the leather away from a cut at an angle, they bevel it. Here the bottom edge of the leaf and the left side of the exterior part of the stem have been bevelled. Of all the carving steps beveling probably takes the longest. You have to really understand your pattern and realize what lines are on top of others. Bevel the wrong side and ya can screw up the whole deal.

q6O5OqV.jpg

Other types of tooling its important to smooth out any tool marks left by the bevelers. However, in oak carving its simply not necessary and a waste of time. Our following steps will take care of that. However when we bevel the interior stems we will "walk" the beveler to prevent the tool marks. All beveled.

fYxsZY4.jpg

Our next step is to take this lined beveler and drag it across all the stems and any twigs if any. this provides a texture.

TbhJTae.jpg

A very quick and simple step that adds a lot when finished.

b7ko4O5.jpg

I hope you are enjoying this little WIP and I'll continue on here in a minute.

So continuing on with our couple of sheaths project:

We'll use these two lined pear shaders to tip the points of the leaves and to provides some depth and texture to the leaf.

JJbK2Ii.jpg

You can see the depth and 3dness that the pear shaders are adding to our leaves.

Bg534Ox.jpg

Using our largest beveler we bevel the stems of the leaves and also do the veins in the leaves. Its important to follow the right order here with our tools or your oak carving can come out flat. Here the stems have been bevelled.

FVtiWrM.jpg

Now we're going to use this tool, called a petal lifter or an undercut beveler. to really lift the leaves. This is used on basically all inside curves. This may be the one most important step to bring life to this carving.

gqxV4i2.jpg

This beveler literal slides up and under the leather pushing the area tooled up. You can also see the bevelled veins in this pic.

QO7lNXM.jpg

The leaves are lifted here and really kinda starting to look like something.

9hsxWQT.jpg

Our next step is backgrounding and we'll use two different sized tools to get into all the nooks and crannies of our pattern.

Z9XfGSm.jpg

I will use my lead shot loaded little sandbags to hold the leather down while I'm backgrounding.

FceEjtV.jpg

Again, here it is very important to understand your pattern. Its really easy to get a going and background something that shouldn't be.

I'll use the swivel knife and make some decorative cuts on the stems and on the leaves themselves. Here you can see some on the stem.

2HSEKyH.jpg

Our final carving step is to bevel the whole exterior border. Once that is done the sheath parts go indie the house and will dry overnight.

JLvV5Ky.jpg

I don't like to sew damp leather and that sis why the drying period overnight. So the next morning I cut out a couple of welts for these sheaths.

zhex8Y0.jpg

I fit the welt to the sheath through trial and error and a whole bunch of experience.

N8oBuvJ.jpg

The welts once fitted are skived to provide a smooth transition. This is beveling the leather down to a zero edge.

133BCjZ.jpg

Different welts require different skiving and I made this push skiver too that I used to skive the edge of this welt for the Tapadero sheath. I do this skiving so that the belt slot does not go through three layers of leather on the welt side and will therefor be more comfortable for the wearer.

UfQt81p.jpg

The welts are glued in with contact cement and trimmed flush to the edges of the sheath. I check the fit here by placing the knives into the sheath as a mock up.

mPi9jDq.jpg

Looks good so no adjustment to be made. We'll glue up both the fronts and backs of the sheaths to join them together.

1K7DfYw.jpg

While the contact cement is drying I'll uncover The Beast and make sure he is well oiled and ready.

vMdzEk2.jpg

And we sew. This shot also shows the depth well, that we've created using our tooling.

tIzWlKb.jpg

Once sewn, I trim the thread with a soldering iron and toss the sheaths back into my water bucket. My highly technical timing here is that I allow them to sink and then pull them out.

RHegz8P.jpg

I hope you are enjoying our little project here. Any questions are welcome. I've gotta go feed the horses and then I'll finish up.

Excellent photos Dave :cool: :thumbsup:
Quick question... Do you simply dunk the leather or do you "case" it?

Back in from feeding and we'll get this finished up:

So while wet the edges are trimmed flush of all excess leather and the belt slots are punched. I use a two inch bag punch for this and a four pound maul named Thor. There is a piece of scrap leather to prevent any scratching or marring from the cutting board. When wet the sheaths are sensitive to dirt, scratching and general nasty.
HTPde3S.jpg

I sand the edges smooth and then edge and round the edges before wet molding the sheath to the knife. All wet molding is done using my stick of ligum vitae and is done on the backside. Wouldn't make sense to spend all that time bringing all that depth to the front and then to squish it while its wet with a stick, so I don't.

8pC2KuK.jpg

My hands were leaving some dingy marks so I put gloves on. The dingy marks were cleaned off using a wood deck cleaner.

o0mBd11.jpg

So in the leather world I'm a heretic. However my heresy has been proven out by like 20,000 sheaths and holsters, (no really, we've lost count but its that many if not more). Here's my heresy. I bake the wet sheaths in the oven at 178 degrees for 3 hours. See lightning bolts crashing all around me even as I type that. At one hour and I set a timer, I turn the sheaths over and hour number two I turn em back. Ya don't follow my recipe exactly, or forget they are in there and you will make sheath jerky. I forgot one time and made a 30 sheath batch of sheath jerky one time. I set a timer.

CwnczKW.jpg

After there three hour cruise I bring em back out to the shop and give them a coat of warm, pure neatsfoot oil. I brush this on very lightly and its easy to get too much on here so go LIGHT. Ya can kinda oversaturate carving very easily so I will do the backside first and then hit the front side with out reloading the brush.

ZSrHG3m.jpg

Got em both done and oiled.

YogRzlw.jpg

After oiling they go back into the kitchen counter to dry over night again. This is called letting the oil set. Plus I got stuff to do. Big Tyler is holding Big George for me.

fhkheru.jpg

Find these guys on the kitchen counter the next morning. The oil has set well. Time to finish them up.

QytQCo1.jpg

So the first thing we are gonna do is rub the edges. I use a product called Wyoming Quick Slik. Its brushed onto the edges and then I power rub the edges on a lathe.

jbxjGJe.jpg

This really smooths down all the fibers on the edge and provides a durable glossy edge, a sign of craftsmanship. Ya can see in this pic the gloss already coming through on the edges.

RZY8dUc.jpg

After the rubbing I'll put two coats of finish on the edges and one coat over the front side with all the carving.

z7XYHTH.jpg

After the finish has dried I start using our own antiquing mixture (part Bag Kote finish and part Hi Lighter) and brush it onto the carved area of the sheath. Little at a time and its wiped off with a paper towel leaving the darker color only in the recesses of the tooling.

OwSeUSd.jpg

HTh1kMB.jpg

Another coat of finish over the top and one coat on the back and we call er good.

t8r2gnP.jpg

mAxUBHG.jpg

Then I do the final fitting to the knives. I'll use the pliers to stretch here and there the rat tail file to remove some welt if needed. These two didn't need anything. Fit was great right off.

ZFHUgba.jpg

All thats left to do is take some pics:

yOyLrjL.jpg

AJM2rKr.jpg

And box and ship em, Fed Ex comes at 2. Thanks for following along and hope you enjoyed this process. Thanks for the order Dwight.

So continuing on with our couple of sheaths project:

We'll use these two lined pear shaders to tip the points of the leaves and to provides some depth and texture to the leaf.

JJbK2Ii.jpg

You can see the depth and 3dness that the pear shaders are adding to our leaves.

Bg534Ox.jpg

Using our largest beveler we bevel the stems of the leaves and also do the veins in the leaves. Its important to follow the right order here with our tools or your oak carving can come out flat. Here the stems have been bevelled.

FVtiWrM.jpg

Now we're going to use this tool, called a petal lifter or an undercut beveler. to really lift the leaves. This is used on basically all inside curves. This may be the one most important step to bring life to this carving.

gqxV4i2.jpg

This beveler literal slides up and under the leather pushing the area tooled up. You can also see the bevelled veins in this pic.

QO7lNXM.jpg

The leaves are lifted here and really kinda starting to look like something.

9hsxWQT.jpg

Our next step is backgrounding and we'll use two different sized tools to get into all the nooks and crannies of our pattern.

Z9XfGSm.jpg

I will use my lead shot loaded little sandbags to hold the leather down while I'm backgrounding.

FceEjtV.jpg

Again, here it is very important to understand your pattern. Its really easy to get a going and background something that shouldn't be.

I'll use the swivel knife and make some decorative cuts on the stems and on the leaves themselves. Here you can see some on the stem.

2HSEKyH.jpg

Our final carving step is to bevel the whole exterior border. Once that is done the sheath parts go indie the house and will dry overnight.

JLvV5Ky.jpg

I don't like to sew damp leather and that sis why the drying period overnight. So the next morning I cut out a couple of welts for these sheaths.

zhex8Y0.jpg

I fit the welt to the sheath through trial and error and a whole bunch of experience.

N8oBuvJ.jpg

The welts once fitted are skived to provide a smooth transition. This is beveling the leather down to a zero edge.

133BCjZ.jpg

Different welts require different skiving and I made this push skiver too that I used to skive the edge of this welt for the Tapadero sheath. I do this skiving so that the belt slot does not go through three layers of leather on the welt side and will therefor be more comfortable for the wearer.

UfQt81p.jpg

The welts are glued in with contact cement and trimmed flush to the edges of the sheath. I check the fit here by placing the knives into the sheath as a mock up.

mPi9jDq.jpg

Looks good so no adjustment to be made. We'll glue up both the fronts and backs of the sheaths to join them together.

1K7DfYw.jpg

While the contact cement is drying I'll uncover The Beast and make sure he is well oiled and ready.

vMdzEk2.jpg

And we sew. This shot also shows the depth well, that we've created using our tooling.

tIzWlKb.jpg

Once sewn, I trim the thread with a soldering iron and toss the sheaths back into my water bucket. My highly technical timing here is that I allow them to sink and then pull them out.

RHegz8P.jpg

I hope you are enjoying our little project here. Any questions are welcome. I've gotta go feed the horses and then I'll finish up.

A wonderful tutorial!!……….. There are a lot of steps involved in crafting a sheath...… You explain it very well and WOW, such great workmanship!!

Back in from feeding and we'll get this finished up:

So while wet the edges are trimmed flush of all excess leather and the belt slots are punched. I use a two inch bag punch for this and a four pound maul named Thor. There is a piece of scrap leather to prevent any scratching or marring from the cutting board. When wet the sheaths are sensitive to dirt, scratching and general nasty.
HTPde3S.jpg

I sand the edges smooth and then edge and round the edges before wet molding the sheath to the knife. All wet molding is done using my stick of ligum vitae and is done on the backside. Wouldn't make sense to spend all that time bringing all that depth to the front and then to squish it while its wet with a stick, so I don't.

8pC2KuK.jpg

My hands were leaving some dingy marks so I put gloves on. The dingy marks were cleaned off using a wood deck cleaner.

o0mBd11.jpg

So in the leather world I'm a heretic. However my heresy has been proven out by like 20,000 sheaths and holsters, (no really, we've lost count but its that many if not more). Here's my heresy. I bake the wet sheaths in the oven at 178 degrees for 3 hours. See lightning bolts crashing all around me even as I type that. At one hour and I set a timer, I turn the sheaths over and hour number two I turn em back. Ya don't follow my recipe exactly, or forget they are in there and you will make sheath jerky. I forgot one time and made a 30 sheath batch of sheath jerky one time. I set a timer.

CwnczKW.jpg

After there three hour cruise I bring em back out to the shop and give them a coat of warm, pure neatsfoot oil. I brush this on very lightly and its easy to get too much on here so go LIGHT. Ya can kinda oversaturate carving very easily so I will do the backside first and then hit the front side with out reloading the brush.

ZSrHG3m.jpg

Got em both done and oiled.

YogRzlw.jpg

After oiling they go back into the kitchen counter to dry over night again. This is called letting the oil set. Plus I got stuff to do. Big Tyler is holding Big George for me.

fhkheru.jpg

Find these guys on the kitchen counter the next morning. The oil has set well. Time to finish them up.

QytQCo1.jpg

So the first thing we are gonna do is rub the edges. I use a product called Wyoming Quick Slik. Its brushed onto the edges and then I power rub the edges on a lathe.

jbxjGJe.jpg

This really smooths down all the fibers on the edge and provides a durable glossy edge, a sign of craftsmanship. Ya can see in this pic the gloss already coming through on the edges.

RZY8dUc.jpg

After the rubbing I'll put two coats of finish on the edges and one coat over the front side with all the carving.

z7XYHTH.jpg

After the finish has dried I start using our own antiquing mixture (part Bag Kote finish and part Hi Lighter) and brush it onto the carved area of the sheath. Little at a time and its wiped off with a paper towel leaving the darker color only in the recesses of the tooling.

OwSeUSd.jpg

HTh1kMB.jpg

Another coat of finish over the top and one coat on the back and we call er good.

t8r2gnP.jpg

mAxUBHG.jpg

Then I do the final fitting to the knives. I'll use the pliers to stretch here and there the rat tail file to remove some welt if needed. These two didn't need anything. Fit was great right off.

ZFHUgba.jpg

All thats left to do is take some pics:

yOyLrjL.jpg

AJM2rKr.jpg

And box and ship em, Fed Ex comes at 2. Thanks for following along and hope you enjoyed this process. Thanks for the order Dwight.
Fascinating. Gorgeous work. :thumbsup:

Horsewright Horsewright -
There is nothing quite so satisfying as witnessing a master engaged in his craft. I am amazed at the level of complexity and the number of individual steps involved but now I understand why I’ve been so drawn to your work. Fascinating documentation Dave. Thank you sir. They will be cherished.

Back