Fold- A- Vee...

Sal, would you know if the Lansky Fold- A- Vee sharpeners are still in production?

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."

hi Nakano2. I would guess that it is still gooing. I saw an ad for it not too long ago. I designed the piece and sold the patent to Lansky many years ago. It hasn't been the "best deal" for me so I can't say for sure what's happening with it.

sal

I do recall that Sal. I was curious and wanting to get one myself when I saw one at a local sports shop. And I had heard from this very forum that it was slating to be discontinued. I think I' ll spring for one since it is the only "portable" and compact V shape angled sharpening sysytem on the market.

L8r,
Nakano

Found this in a box in the closet.

GerberTouche025_zpsc534ee67.jpg

GerberTouche026_zpse5aa0e2f.jpg

Sal - that was the first sharpener that I was able to get truly good results with in the field. Thanks for your continued evolution!

Wish I still had my Fold-a-Vee in the kitbag for Scout Camp - but my old SharpMaker will have to do. :cool:

TedP

I tried to buy it back from Lansky as they weren't marketing the tool and they had the tooling and inventory. Bit they never got back to me.

sal

The Fold-A-Vee is the single best sharpening tool I've ever seen. I own several and would buy a bunch more of them if they were still available. They've been out of production for years.

I spoke to someone at Lansky a couple of weeks ago, and she stated that they are getting a lot of requests for them to be reintroduced. I would suggest that anyone who wants 'em, give Lansky a call. After all, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"...

BTW, my first Fold-A-Vee is an original Spyderco that I bought several decades ago. If Lansky won't put them back into production, maybe Sal can try again to buy it back. I really believe that the demand is there....

A thought just came to mind, Sal. That patent has expired a long time ago. Could you not just have tooling made and put them back into production on your own?

Last edited:
That wouldn't be very ethical. I'd rather buy it back from Lansky.

Next person that calls Lansky, let them know that I'm still interested.

sal

That wouldn't be very ethical. I'd rather buy it back from Lansky.

sal

Agreed. My suggestion was simply based upon your comment that they would not call you back. Of course buying the name, rights and tooling from them would be the better approach...I'll give 'em a call on Monday and pass the word that they need to call you. Thanks.

I don't think they intenbtionally didn't call me back. We discussed the idea at the IWA show during the day (busy) and I would guess they just forgot to follow up. I also don't think I should nag them. I nag foundries, vendors, staff, etc., I think that's enough.

sal

Now I wish I had picked up one from AG Russell when I had the chance. :(

When I spoke to someone at Lansky, I was told that they are considering putting them back into production....'Hope so - I'd sure like to have a couple more of them myself....

Back