Folder drought over

Except for the occasional multitool and Opinel, I haven't bought a new folder in close to a year, not since I bought my small sebenza. But the drought is over. Been looking at this puppy for quite sometime now and finally took the plunge. Wanted something a little more robust for heavier use than my small sebenza. And although liner locks are ok, I've got plenty. So I went for an axis. Here she be. Whatcha think?

bm720b.jpg

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

[This message has been edited by Hoodoo (edited 12-21-2000).]

One year???

Now this guy's got willpower!!
smile.gif

That BM sure looks like a good one to "fall of the wagon" with!!

--The Raptor--

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Raptor:
Now this guy's got willpower!!
smile.gif

--The Raptor--

</font>

Not really. I've just been hung up on fixed blades. Still am.
smile.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

Very nice....sleek, sensual, rriiiiipppp!! boooiiinngggg !!!....oops, excuse me. I want.

I've had one for some time now and I think it's a well conceived knife.

Useful blade and built like a tank.

Enjoy it in good health.

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Blues' Knife Pix

At first blush, it's a nice knife. Hair-shaving sharp (but can be (was) improved). Nice even grind lines and the edge is ground even as well (with BM, ya never know). The pivot is smooth and there is zero play. Better than my 705 axis. The blade lies dead smack in the center of the liners. And when you pull the lock back when the blade is open, the blade pivots smoothly down and closes. This is great in a blade with zero pivot play. It opens the same way. Gravity is all you need. Very smooth.

Here's the downside: the cross pin on the lock feels somewhat gritty. It also "sticky" when you try to release the lock. I'm not sure if the gritty feel is due to the pin sliding in the liners or just friction where it contacts the blade. I think it is mostly due to sliding on the liners.

I've heard others mention the "sticky" problem. I may have to disassemble the knife and do some polishing. Or else send it to BM. Any suggestions here?

All and all, though, I think this is an excellent knife. I love the way it fills the hand and how comfortable it is in both the blade up and blade down position. I also liked the fact that I could repositon the clip. I now carry it in the tip up position because I don't like the clip interfering with my grip around the lock.

With the flat grind, I expect this knife to stand up to some abuse. I'm curious to see how well the spine will take to being batoned for chopping through small saplings.
I also like the tip. It is very sharp and pointy but not what I would call delicate. It should take a wee bit of abuse. It certainly has more meat on it than my miniAFCK (same blade length, BTW).

This should make a good hunting folder. The tip is fine enough for fine work on small game and fish and with the wide blade, the flat grind gives a strong edge but thin enough for excellent slicing ability. Also, the 720 should be robust enough to fill the category of "survival folder": rough and tough but small enough to have on you at all times. And safe due to the well-known strength of the axis lock.

These are all just observations based on design. More field testing is needed. Too bad it is blizzarding outside or I would be testing it out on a northern pike.
smile.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

JKM

Love that blade. I bought one of the 02/00 720S w/G-10 handles, but I'm giving it to a friend for Christmas since he wants it and BM's coming out with the G-10 as reg production and I want the plain edge. I want the G-10 so I can sand it to fit my hand better. Great little knife.

As far as the lock release being a little "sticky," Axis locks take a little while to wear in. After 60-120 quick openings & closings it should smooth out a lot. I love my Axis locks, and will buy more.

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
El mundo es mi cenicero.

..chuckles..Medusa, sometimes I feel the same way.(ceniciero)

More on the topic...doesn't the Axis require an additional spring? I hope to have a 940 soon, but I dislike the thought of another thing that can go wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve-O

The axis lock has two springs, one on either side of the lock pin. All they do is pull the pin into the forward locked position unless your thumb is pulling the pin back to release the lock. They are not under a lot of stress, and I doubt very much that they would be likely to fail. If they did however, the axis lock would not work properly.

Paracelsus

Steve-O,
It's my understanding that the second spring is redundant. In other words, the lock will still work if one of the springs breaks.

------------------
Hoodoo

JKM

Back