Folder for those relatively new to sharp pointy instruments?

I work as a lab technician on my campus, and opening boxes with other people's knives is getting a bit silly. I'd like a good safe folding knife in the $30-50 range. Would be great if it looked good to boot, I'm a fan of how that black teftlon(?) coating looks, and the knives that half stick out (not the sharp end, but you know what I mean) when folded in look kind of cheesy and semi-uncomfortable to pocket, so I'd also prefer something with a handle that swallows most of the blade.

Sorry about this, because I'm sure this has been asked 50 billion times before. Search seems to be broken though. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Get yourself a Victorinox Tinker or Super Tinker. It will do everything you need and more at a reasonable price.

yam said:
Get yourself a Victorinox Tinker or Super Tinker. It will do everything you need and more at a reasonable price.

Great advice. You'll find that a Swiss Army Knife (SAK) is handy for a lot more than cutting open boxes.

This is posted in the traditional section, so I guess I can't recommend a Benchmade (710, 635, 910 if you can find one, or Griptillian), or an Emerson (CQC-10 or CQC-8), or a Spyderco (of any description)... but if you had posted in the General forum, I guess I'd say look at those. :D

If you're looking for some advice on a nice, traditional knife that won't scare people, then get yourself a Case, a Schrade Old Timer (Schrade was just bought by another company, so make sure you get one that was made pre-sellout), a Hen & Rooster, or an Eye Brand.
These are all going to be two-hand openers, as opposed to the one-handers I mentioned before.

In your case, I'd recommend most heartily one of the smaller Spyderco folders. Opens with one hand, VERY dependable, good prices for the quality. Visit www.spyderco.com and check out the Cricket (great for opening boxes), the Delica (best-seller and my personal "old standby"), the Dodo (also great for boxes), the Dragonfly (a nice-sized pocket folder for the work environment), or if you want to get one that'll look nice when you pull it out of your dress slacks, get a Kopa.

I also don't know how much you want to spend, or if you smoke/drink, but check out the Firebyrd (a new offering), which seems like it may be handy (lighter/bottle opener built in :D). I don't think they're "available" yet, as they're only sold as a 12-pack counter display (intended for a dealer or storefront), but I imagine they'll be out soon, and I plan to pick one up.

Welcome, and good luck!

Peace.
Alex.

I think Spyderco knives are what he refers to as "knives that half stick out (not the sharp end, but you know what I mean) when folded".

On campus you may want to be as low profile as possible. Tinker and super tinker are excellent choices. The alox handle cadet is worth a look too.

roknjs said:
Look at a queen, Schatt and Morgan, or Moore Maker folder.

www.cumberlandknifeworks.com
www.mooremaker.com

I second this, and further recommend a stockman. It's one of the more handsome and masculine patterns of slip joint in my opinion. A Queen stockman with Cocobolo (wood) handles and D2 blades is right in your price range and is a great work knife. Same with Moore Maker.

In case you were referring to Spyderco knives as the ones where the blade sticks out in the folded position, you'd be surprised how these disappear in your pocket. They are in fact among the most pocketable knives going. I can understand why you'd think otherwise since the appearance is decieving.

A Spyderco Delica with VG10 steel blade is about the best work knife imaginable (again just my opinion) and it's right in the middle of your range, about $40 new on ebay.

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I've taken a look at everything and now I'm mulling it over. (I also apologize for putting this in the wrong forum...I thought the title was "traditional folders, and fixed blades", as if traditional folders referred to simple folding knives with no fancy mechanisims to assist in opening.)

Trust me when I said to get yourself a Victorinox Tinker or Super Tinker. I worked as a Research Technologist at the Univeristy of Washington for nearly 10 years. My Super Tinker saw lots of duty in the labs where I worked. Never raised an eyebrow, was widely accepted and useful. Besides, you can't beat the price on these. Nope, they aren't particularly glamorous and they aren't made of the newest/latest/greatest/trendiest materials. But the simple truth is, they work and they work very well. If I could only carry one knife, no multi-tools, no additional keychain knives ..... just one knife, it would be my Vic Super Tinker.

Back