Folder pivot question

Hey guys, I did a search, and could not find an answer to my question. I know it must have been discussed since it's so basic, but here goes: What do you guys consider a decent pivot pin/bolt/whatever diameter on a folder? Many of the main stream knives I've seen probably only have a 1/8" DIA pin. And some are only brass. Seems kinda weak to me, but since you guys build them, what do you think? Also, the nicer knives obviously use a multi-piece threaded unit to act as the pivot. Does it not matter if the pin is hollow (shear strength would of course be weakened), or do you assure the threaded "hole" is filled with the screw as to make a pretty much solid pin? I'm just curious how strong is strong enough (shear wise). I'm not a knife maker, but I figured you'd be the guys to ask since you are.

I like 3/16" diameter for the most part. Use 1/8" once in awhile on smaller knives (less than 3" blade).
I use threaded pivots. For one thing they are made of steel,440C I beleive and also hardened if I remember correctly.
Its also nice that your able to adjust the tension easily and take the knife apart for cleaning if necessary (do that rarely myself but other folks are more picky)

Brass pins and the like worked for a LONG time before all this high tech stuff came about. Properly fitted they will last a long time. Its harder to peen the pin to get the correct tension (you can tighten, but not loosen :eek: )than turning a screw back and forth till it feels right. I don't think they're quite as strong or wear resistant as the adjustable pivots available today though

Back