1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

How To Folder Repair

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Howard1, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Howard1

Howard1

Jan 16, 2017
    https://imgur.com/a/WlkUCeJ
    Hi all. This is my first attempt at posting pics. I will know if it worked in a minute. The attached are from folder which has the tip sticking out of the handle when closed. I took photos of the rear spring when closed, when open and when I am pressing the blade flat against the spring. I first thought to grind the tang until it rests flush. But if the spring continues to press down after the grind then I have made it worse and solved nothing. I can't pull the scales off as they are covered by sterling covers that appear to be epoxied on. Anyway I make kitchen knives which so far haven't needed a spring. The owner is a friend, and is very sentimental about this knife. What do you all recommend? If you need more info you can reach out to me directly at [email protected].
    Regards

2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    Trim a little bit off of the kick (tang) and see what happens.
    I suspect the tip will go down.

Night Rider likes this.
  3. Howard1

Howard1

Jan 16, 2017
    Thanks Bill. I was hoping that someone with your background would answer. Is there a chance that the spring may deflect more and still pressure the blade forward after I grind a bit off the kick? I am asking because I don't have an understanding of how you all align the blade with the spring and how you keep everything in place. The assembly pins are not visible in this case. Great web page by the way.
    Regards

4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    I don't think the spring is deflecting at all.

5. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    You've got to post pics individually...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There ya go!!

6. Howard1

Howard1

Jan 16, 2017
    Thank you . Please realize that I put off doing this for all the years that I have been following Blade Forums. Not ideological, just dumb. I posted the images on Imgur. I only saw a way to move all of them with a hypertext. If I just highlight one will it pop up as a photo?
    Went to your website. Beautiful work and an excellent selling site. Only drawback was I couldn't find your first name anywhere. Do you post on etsy as well?
    Thanks again.

7. Howard1

Howard1

Jan 16, 2017
    Good enough for me. I will keep you informed. You have my thanks.

8. Night Rider

Night Rider Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Not sure if this will help but it was suggested to me from the boys on The Porch and it worked out great. I just ground a little bit off the kick. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ken H> and Drew Riley like this.
  9. Howard1

Howard1

Jan 16, 2017
    Thanks. I will try it this weekend. I'll post when done. Always appreciate the help. Regards

10. Hubert S.

Hubert S.

Dec 14, 2019
    I used to carry a small lock back Buck knife that would do the same thing on occasion until the TSA took it away from me. Sometimes it was pretty obvious that there was pocket lint stuck in the lock, sometimes I could not see what caused it. Cleaning it always fixed it. I would start with that before taking it to the grinder. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like there is a good bit of crud on it.