Folder to fixed blade conv. Because I can

I'm retired and was bored and I needed a project to get my brain and my hands working. I didn't need another knife. My collection is fairly large and pretty much covers all my cutting/carry needs. Just wanted something to do.
Also I have been slowly trying to downsize and clean out some stuff I've accumulated over the years
Had a blade (440c) from a folder kit I bought about 10 years ago but no liners anymore and missing some hardware so I thought I'd try to make a fixed blade version.

Here's what I put together.
Screenshot-20240309-074631-2.png

Screenshot-20240309-074619-2.png

Hickory scales are cut from a never been used hammer handle I've been hanging onto for like 30 years. Had a piece of steel that just happened to be the same thickness as the blade so there's my full tang. I had some brass leftover from a few blade blanks I handled years ago. Assembled with a couple corby bolts. I would have preferred using some brass round stock instead of Corby's but they were the only brass I had that was the same dia as the pivot hole in the blade and I was glad to get rid of them. There are also two 1/8" brass pins thru the bolsters. You can't see them cuz I know the almost lost art of peening. One goes thru a hole I drilled in the blade a bit below the thumb ramp (holy crap had to use diamond bits, carbide wouldn't touch it). The other 1/8" pin goes thru the bolsters and the tang down in the guard. These pins keep everything from trying to rotate around the corby bolts.

The sheath was much easier as I have made close to 30 sheaths for myself and friends.

Screenshot-20240309-074606-2.png

All comments welcome. I'm too old to piss off so tell me what you really think.
Oh yeah, just try to ignore the thumbstud hole.

Last edited:
All comments welcome. I'm too old to piss off so tell me what you really think.
Oh yeah, just try to ignore the thumbstud hole.
I like the blue background; but other than that your pictures seem lacking.
Oh, and I didn't even notice the hole

Yeah, image-hosting sites give you a few couple different options for linking, because different platforms handle the code differently.

For these purposes, Bladeforums counts as a "forum", or "BBS" or "bulletin-board-service" I've seen it labeled more than one way.

Waffle about a bit until you find something with a similar title, and try pasting it into your post. It may not be the choice at the top of the list.

For these purposes, Bladeforums counts as a "forum", or "BBS" or "bulletin-board-service" I've seen it labeled more than one way.

Waffle about a bit until you find something with a similar title, and try pasting it into your post. It may not be the choice at the top of the list.
I used postimages.org. They had some choices for sizing and I chose "message board" . Don't remember what size that was. Only other choice I saw was for expiration.
Don't understand the waffle about for a similar title. What title?

I like the blue background; but other than that your pictures seem lacking.
Oh, and I didn't even notice the hole
Really don't know what to do bout the pics. They look great on my phone but I can't say what happened after they left there.

Actually the thumbstud hole doesn't bother me as much as the corby bolts.

Really don't know what to do bout the pics. They look great on my phone but I can't say what happened after they left there.

Actually the thumbstud hole doesn't bother me as much as the corby bolts.
Fix them! They all look the same (nice blue background)
View attachment 2523909
Look for the code that looks like this
Code:
[IMG]blah.blah.blah[/IMG]

Last edited:
See, that's what I get for assuming!

Postimage is... different, apparently. I copied this off their Frequently Asked Questions page.

Click the "Choose images" button on the main PostImage page.

Select the images you need to upload in the file browser that pops up. Once you click "Open", images will immediately start uploading.

After your images have been uploaded, you will see an admin gallery view. Click the second drop-down box to the left of the code box and select "Hotlink for forums". If you only uploaded one image, this option will be in plain view instead.

Click the Copy button to the right of the code box

Open your forum's post editor.

Paste the code copied from PostImage into the editor. The forum needs to have BBcode support enabled for this to work.

Other image hosting sites have the links listed somewhere in the same window as the image, so you hover over or click on the image, and there it is. This time, you have to select images, wait for them to appear in a new window that opens, and then choose the forum link, as listed in step 3.

Bladeforums most likely does not have their plugin installed (can't imagine why it would), but it does have "BBcode support". Once you have the links copied, you should be able to post them into the window at the bottom of the thread, just like if you were posting a long-winded explanation of a process you don't fully understand!

Ok how do I edit my post? Can't find any edit buttons or icons.
Oh and I can see the pics just fine.

You can use the direct link to the image in using the image icon, as long as it has the correct extension. (I know .jpg works...the other might be .png)
I prefer to just use the IMG codes because it can be payed directly into the body of the post

Seems like a decent useable knife. The leather work really is very nice. I’d hire you to make a sheath. 👍

Seems like a decent useable knife. The leather work really is very nice. I’d hire you to make a sheath. 👍
You are very kind sir. Thanks for the high praise!
It is a very usable knife. Thought it was gonna brighten up my display case with the light wood (as opposed to all the browns and blacks in there) but instead it became my edc "house" knife. Been wearing it everyday since I finished it.
Be happy to make a sheath for you.

Back