Folder WiP

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've designed a fair number of folders over the years, but until now haven't made one. So, I think it's kinda fitting to break in this new forum with a project that has a high chance of failure šŸ¤£

Years ago, Eric Ochs sent me a little slab of 6Al4V titanium in the right thickness for a liner lock and I've been wanting to do something with it, so now that I've got a little shop set up I'ma go to town! The blade is Cruwear, which is a pretty excellent steel- so long as I didn't mess up the heat treatment.

This knife is a little silly, in that the pivot is .25" and the stop pin is .1875"- definitely larger than need be for a small knife, but I plan on making a fairly large folder next and I wanted to dial things in with this one first. The stop pin will be fixed to the blade, like Phil Boguszewski, (RIP) used to do. There's some potential for failure here, since the stop pin will be shrink fit and my fingers are crossed that it doesn't crack the tang of the knife.

uMrEwhd.jpg

rMSK4a0.jpg

F5MgSeI.jpg

DFkgxN2.jpg

K4bEB56.jpg

W7AXkW6.jpg

w9ZdxOl.jpg

K3LQTKa.jpg

ZvZ77jY.jpg

yIGdyiT.jpg

The only part of the process that I'm not doing yet is marking my work. There's a local guy, good dude and great leatherworker, who has a laser and this blade and some others are will him for cooking my logo on there.

More to come soon!

Awesome! But I have to ask... in that first video, were you dancing on the spot? I don't know if I could have kept up that scratch pattern and not started dancing. ;)

7OGc8K9.jpg

vDzNaLQ.jpg

Qr9nsQB.jpg

barring any minor tweaks that arise, this is the final assembly. This folder is done!

I have to say, it was a ton of fun! Fixed blades are cool, but folders have a whole different vibe going on that I could see myself getting into. I have one on deck which is .189" 3V blade, which is gonna be a whole nother thing:eek:

7OGc8K9.jpg

vDzNaLQ.jpg

Qr9nsQB.jpg

barring any minor tweaks that arise, this is the final assembly. This folder is done!

I have to say, it was a ton of fun! Fixed blades are cool, but folders have a whole different vibe going on that I could see myself getting into. I have one on deck which is .189" 3V blade, which is gonna be a whole nother thing:eek:

Beautiful lines as always.. and even on the grind too... you freak.

thanks guys:cool:
I'll be posting up a separate thread about this lil guy tomorrow or so, with some better pics and some video

Fuck yeah!
No ricasso on a folder!
You sir manged to make a 'broken' knife with no wasted real estate

Fuck yeah!
No ricasso on a folder!
You sir manged to make a 'broken' knife with no wasted real estate
yeah, hey! Thanks very much- one of my main objectives with this design was to have as much usable edge as possible.
additionally, sharpening was carefully considered, so there is no impediment to getting at the full edge with your sharpening device

Back