Folders, Single or multi bladed?

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Wondered what the majority of you use, a folder with a single blade?
Or a multi bladed folder?
I'm not counting the SAK knives in the multi category as I consider those to be tools, I'm talking like a muskrat by Case or Buck.

I prefer single bladed folders, never liked to have my hand gripping against a blade that's still in the handle.

So what do you think?

G2

------------------
It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me,
it is the parts that I do understand.
Mark Twain

www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/7306/blades.html

[This message has been edited by Gary W. Graley (edited 30 June 1999).]

I like both. Sometimes I like to carry my Buck 703 pocketknife (like a three-blade junior stockman) because the blades are strong, sharp and versatile. In some cases the single bladed knife doesn't always 'cut it' for me, because I've found this little baby can do some jobs better.
Other times, for comfort and convenience, I prefer a single-blade folder, like a Spyderco, Benchmade, Cold Steel, or Buck 110.
I'll often carry both a multi-blade pocketknife and a single-blade folder.
Jim

I'll make my plug for Buck Knives again. My CrossLock Double Blade feels the same, except for the clip no matter if I use the clip poin or the sheeps foot.

Too bad you're excluding SAK. I carry my Locking blade when I don't want to scare sheeple
smile.gif

I won't use a knife that does not have locking blades, so I have been pretty much limited to single blade knives. If the Spydie Dyad were a bit bigger...... Well, I am waiting for the new big brother. Please do not say Buck Crosslock, as the 2 bladed ones do not come with a pocket clip, which I also consider a necessity

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh

Mine did. And I like the blade down. I've been practicing draw and SNAP the blade. I'm impressing even myself imho
smile.gif

FullerH
I had one of the double Crosslocks and it had a clip, sold it to a fellow at work and he loves it, had some trouble with the detent, one of the blades would come open in his pocket, either it's ok now or he lost it!

G2

------------------
It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me,
it is the parts that I do understand.
Mark Twain

www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/7306/blades.html

"'Curioser and curioser', said Alice." I have been told repeatedly that the 2 bladed Crosslock was not available with a clip as it would be too heavy. Now that you post, I cannot remember who told me that. Oh, well, I'll have to take a look at them, again. They'd have to go some to beat out a Spydie, even price considered, however.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh

[This message has been edited by FullerH (edited 30 June 1999).]

Two-bladed folders always seem like a great idea to me until I actually carry one. In practice, I find it much more comfortable to carry two lightweight knives in separate locations (clipped to pocket and rear waistband, say), than to carry one big heavy knife in one place.

Besides, multiple carry of single-bladed knives allows me to carry exactly what I think I need, not what the manufacturer has decided to stuff into the handle. I can mix-n-match blade sizes, geometry, serrated vs. plain, etc. Typical carry combinations for me include: Axis and Calypso Jr. ; Endura and serrated delica ; Vaquero Grande and Calypso Jr.

Joe
jat@cup.hp.com

[This message has been edited by Joe Talmadge (edited 30 June 1999).]

While I certainly have both single and multiple blade knives available, I almost always end up with a three or four blader in my pocket unless going out for the evening. I don't mean big multi-bladers. Small to medium stockmen, 4 blade congress, whittlers, usually one of these is with me. I do a lot of whittling and I need the several blades. A one blader is for when I figure I don't really need a knife at all.

------------------
Regards,
Arizona Desert Rat

I always get the same quizzical look when examining multi-blade folders. You see, most (SAKs excluded) have these well-thought out handle ergonomics, with places to put your fingers and a really pleasant grip... unless one of the blades is closed. Of course, all of the blades but one will be closed if you are using the knife safely or intelligently. So the handle ergonomics mean nothing, and in use they frequently are terrible. Why do they even bother? Just habit, I suppose.

That is the simple reason I don't give a hoot about most multi-bladed folders. Nevertheless, I do use a Wave as a light-duty knife, and I can't imagine a worse knife handle, so perhaps I am being too critical.

------------------

-Corduroy
(Why else would a bear want a pocket?)

Well, my SAK has TWO blades! ;-) With the exception of it, I have no others with multiblades. All mine are single. I've been eyeballing a lot of the Case stuff lately, though...for a while I was anti- that kind of knife, but I'm starting to swing the other way. I wonder if I'll someday be the only guy to have a Kydex sheath for a Case? :)

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath pagehttp://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/knifehome.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
On Two Wheels

I like the older style multiblades, it's nice to have one blade you use for abusive stuff and keep another one razor sharp for important cuts. I don't carry them much anymore though, pocket clip one-handers rule the roost right now. Usually have an SAK as second fiddle though.

------------------
-Tim-

Excluding SAK's I prefer single blade folders. That is what I carry daily. If I need the choice (plain-, serrated-edge)I'll take to folders.
red

Along with other knives, I've been packing the same Case Stockman for the last 40 or so years. It's starting to get a little thin, but can still be relied on.

I've gutted deer, etc. and built overnight shelters as well as normal every day type stuff with it.

An old friend, that I don't use much any more 'cuz I couldn't stand it if I wore it out all together.
Dan

I usually don't carry multiblade knives & I love the Buck 532 so I thought I was real fortunate when I found a 535 on Ebay which is basically a 532 with 2 blades. Luckily I won the bid and I am looking forward to that folder and seeing how it works out.

------------------
~Greg~

I like to collect multi blades to display. I am really fascinated with the looks of a traditional multy balded folder with jigged bone, stag, mop, and hard woods. I am looking forward to getting one of the Case/Bose trapers, and it will go in my display cabnet. When My B.F. Native gets here it will go in my cabnet also, even though it is a knife I would consider carring, but I would rather display it instead, because of the small amount of knives that were produced I beleive it to be a collectable. I usually tend to carry 2 lock blades, one in each front pocket for my everyday knives. What can I say, I just love knives.
Chris, Top of Texas Knives
www.toptexknives.com

------------------

I think the real benefit of a multi-blade folder (over and above the blade designs) lies in the ability to sharper the various blades to suit cutting requirements. The main blade can be sharpened at a steeper angle for a more durable, hard working edge, while the smaller, thinner blades can be sharpened finer for more delicate work.

I quite like the "old fashioned" patterns and their methods of construction. All this hi-tech can get a bit much sometimes. It's great to take a break and return to rivetted bolsters, jigged bone and non-stainless blades!

Regards, HILTON

Hello Gary, These days the only multi blade I carry is the little Spydie Dyad! I've been spoiled by one hand opening and the clip. The serrated, plain blades are also very nice!I will be getting the larger, as soon and if it comes out. I think we will see other one handed multi bladed knives in the future? Are there any others out there????I guess Buck Crosslock is another.
Bart

Fuller,
Here is a listing of the double blades Crosslocks(r) that have a pocket clip.
Some items have been discontinued
Deputy I 180LC (#2259)- drop point and safety hook blade

Lifesaver - 180LX (#2325)Drop point 1/2 serrated and Saftey hook

Horseman - 180HM (#2341) - Drop point 1/2 serrated with hoof pick

Hunter w Camo - 180D3 (#2630) - Drop point / guthook - saw combo blade

Crosslock Double - 180DB (#2544) - drop point / fully serrated sheepsfoot

AS you can see we have some doubles with pocket clips. And of course we are the only ones with our patented roll-over design allowing you to deploy both blades from the same end of the knife with a roll of the knife.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff "Without data it's just another opinion" Hubbard
Quality Supervisor

JeffH@buckknives.com
www.buckknives.com
Watch for Pete's Custom Knife Shoppe on www.buckknives.com

I have carried and used both, how ever as a work knife I prefer a 3 bladed stockman. The sheepsfoot does the heavy work, the clip opens mail, cleans nails, skins critters, the spey stays razor sharp and does little.
For dress or casual a single blade is fine, for work the stockman with carbon blades is king.

Back